The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2023, 12:13 PM   #1
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

New case for 16753

Is it possible to get a new case for a 16753? Case, crystal and case back.

Not sure if that's something you could buy.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 12:28 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhome777 View Post
Is it possible to get a new case for a 16753? Case, crystal and case back.

Not sure if that's something you could buy.
I'll bet the RSC would offer to replace yours if it's in bad condition.
Old 13 February 2023, 09:58 PM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes RSC will do all 3 for a c 3-4 grand (they will service it as movt out too and advise on dial calibre hands, etc etc ..so could be higher) - just be aware you'll get a 4 million serial service case, and it'll knock about that again off the value of watch if you come to sell it. Is it really terrible...i.e. been steamrolled or just a few big dents/dings? As if so, case and caseback repairs are lot cheaper and preserve value - plexiglass no issue, just buy a new servione :-)
What a perfect waste of time....
My Sad Captains - ELBOW
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 10:07 PM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Yes RSC will do all 3 for a c 3-4 grand (they will service it as movt out too and advise on dial calibre hands, etc etc ..so could be higher) - just be aware you'll get a 4 million serial service case, and it'll knock about that again off the value of watch if you come to sell it. Is it really terrible...i.e. been steamrolled or just a few big dents/dings? As if so, case and caseback repairs are lot cheaper and preserve value - plexiglass no issue, just buy a new servione :-)
I would love to pick up a slightly cheaper but completely new 5513/1675/16xxx or whatever. Best of both worlds.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 04:20 AM   #5
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

The case is pitted pretty bad. It made me wonder if the metal used in the stainless steel might have some sort of inferior alloy. If you touch it against your tongue, you get a little zing feeling. It's weird. Kind of like you would if you put your tongue to a battery. I was thinking it would be better to get a new case, so I'm not putting some weird metal against skin that could cause a problem.
Old 16 February 2023, 04:21 AM   #6
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Does RSC stand for Rolex Service Center? Not sure if they'd be able to supply a vintage case? Or if it would be a new case. Maybe a new case wouldn't be so bad, as long as it looks like the old case. I don't like the cases for new Submariners without lug holes. Would like to keep the vintage look, but have new metal.
Old 16 February 2023, 04:50 AM   #7
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does RSC stand for Rolex Service Center? Not sure if they'd be able to supply a vintage case? Or if it would be a new case. Maybe a new case wouldn't be so bad, as long as it looks like the old case. I don't like the cases for new Submariners without lug holes. Would like to keep the vintage look, but have new metal.
Yes it does. If they replace the case it would be the same as the one you currently have but new.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 04:58 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think you need to worry about chemical reactions occurring when the case contacts your skin. However, if you want Rolex to replace your case with a new one, they will probably be willing to do so. Just be aware that they will charge you to do it and it will decrease the value of the watch.
Old 16 February 2023, 06:01 AM   #9
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Ask a few places that do case repairs before taking the plunge at the RSC. Zimmerman Watch Repair just came up in a post in the vintage section and look like they do exceptional work. There is also LA Watch Works and Rolliworks. All have plenty of examples on this forum.
https://www.facebook.com/ZimmermanWatchRepair/
http://lawatchworks.com/
https://www.rolliworks.com/
Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 06:37 AM   #10
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Could I request that RSC return the old parts? Would they respect that request.

I have also read horror stories of RSC changing out dials and things like that. Is that something to be concerned about?
Old 16 February 2023, 06:58 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Could I request that RSC return the old parts? Would they respect that request.

I have also read horror stories of RSC changing out dials and things like that. Is that something to be concerned about?
They usually will not return old parts, although I have heard tales where occasionally an RSC will agree to return old parts for a fee. You would have to ask, because that is not standard.

The standard work flow is that the RSC gives you a quote of the proposed work that you need to approve before they proceed. So if they are proposing to replace the dial, you could decline the service at that point. Occasionally, people claim that replacements were made without their consent, but I suspect that these situations may arise when the watch is sent to the RSC indirectly, e.g. via an AD, and the communication is poor.
Old 16 February 2023, 07:42 AM   #12
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
They usually will not return old parts, although I have heard tales where occasionally an RSC will agree to return old parts for a fee. You would have to ask, because that is not standard.

The standard work flow is that the RSC gives you a quote of the proposed work that you need to approve before they proceed. So if they are proposing to replace the dial, you could decline the service at that point. Occasionally, people claim that replacements were made without their consent, but I suspect that these situations may arise when the watch is sent to the RSC indirectly, e.g. via an AD, and the communication is poor.
Hmm... Ya, that gives me pause. If they replaced the dial, the watch would be worthless. It has very nice patina.

I wonder if I might be able to locate a New-Old-Stock case somewhere. Or a Used-Old-Stock case that isn't pitted.

Not sure how the pitting happened in the first place. It's pretty extensive. There is even pitting on the bracelet. Makes me wonder what alloy was used in the stainless steel. I know Rolex experimented with the alloy compositions. Maybe an inferior alloy was used for this particular batch. Either that, or the guy who had it before me had very corrosive sweat somehow.
Old 16 February 2023, 07:43 AM   #13
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

I was playing around with the idea of doing an exchange for the watch, to upgrade it to another model. I have always wanted a 5512 Neat Font. Not sure I'd be able to find one. Even if I did, I'd kinda feel bad because it was a present. Also, not sure how much it would knock off the price, with the pitting. It's actually a really cool watch with nice patina, but the pitting would probably reduce the value.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:40 AM   #14
MKIVdan
"TRF" Member

Mike at Rolliworks is a master at restoring cases. I would never trade a vintage case in for a new one.

Contact him to see if he can do the work.
MKIVdan is offline   Reply With Quote