The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 October 2020, 06:39 AM   #1
statuskuo
"TRF" Member

1675 Mega Fat Font

Question -- is there a precise measurement or text orientation that separates 1675 gmt mega fat font bezels from other regular fat font bezels? I'm not familiar with the application process but I do understand that not all mega fat font bezels are created equal. I also know that they were originally found on gilt gmt's, but that's the extent of what I know about these hard to find bezels.

Aside from just how 'fat' the font is, are there any other telltale signs? Placement of the 8? Size of the 8? I've seen the word 'mega fat' used loosely in the watch community. Here are some photos of my bezel that I hope is indeed a mega fat font

https://imgur.com/phhteZw
https://imgur.com/OU3klLc
https://imgur.com/kU8mTJD
https://imgur.com/X3BBPMU
statuskuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 06:44 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

The stamps printing the bezels wore down as they were used, so at first they printed narrower sharper letters that became fatter and less distinct/precise as the stamp was used. There's no distinct criterion that differentiates fat, from very fat, from mega fat, from super mega fat, from super duper hyper mega fat. In fact, there is no objective reason to prefer fat/blurry over thinner/sharp and no particular connection with gilt dials that I know of. This is just the typical BS being propagated by dealers these days to ask high prices.

Your bezel has fat numbers. All that matters is whether you like it.
Old 9 October 2020, 07:13 AM   #3
NOPDK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The stamps printing the bezels wore down as they were used, so at first they printed narrower sharper letters that became fatter and less distinct/precise as the stamp was used. There's no distinct criterion that differentiates fat, from very fat, from mega fat, from super mega fat, from super duper hyper mega fat. In fact, there is no objective reason to prefer fat/blurry over thinner/sharp and no particular connection with gilt dials that I know of. This is just the typical BS being propagated by dealers these days to ask high prices.

Well said!

Your insert is mighty nice and definitely on the fatter side. Enjoy it as it's a beauty
NOPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Perfect insert, be happy. Very.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 08:42 AM   #5
1watch
"TRF" Member

1675 Mega Fat Font

I agree with the previous comments. It’s really personal preference and if one cares about period correctness at the end of the day.

There’s really no ”official” rule on label characteristics. Based on widely held definitions, a super fat font has the small top on the 8 in 18 and not as small of a top on the corresponding 8. A mega fat font has similarly small tops on both and the mega “fattest” have that feature and a kissing 14, which this example appears to have. In addition, it has great color, fading and almost no marks to true naked eye. Most would be extremely happy with that example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 09:22 AM   #6
statuskuo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses and the extra color on why these dials became 'fatter.' Call me a chubby chaser but for me the fatter the better (at least with vintage Rolex). From maxi dials to bezels with kissing 40's. Of course that's just my personal opinion and does not always apply.
Old 9 October 2020, 10:31 AM   #7
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by statuskuo View Post
Question -- is there a precise measurement or text orientation that separates 1675 gmt mega fat font bezels from other regular fat font bezels? I'm not familiar with the application process but I do understand that not all mega fat font bezels are created equal. I also know that they were originally found on gilt gmt's, but that's the extent of what I know about these hard to find bezels.

Aside from just how 'fat' the font is, are there any other telltale signs? Placement of the 8? Size of the 8? I've seen the word 'mega fat' used loosely in the watch community. Here are some photos of my bezel that I hope is indeed a mega fat font

https://imgur.com/phhteZw
https://imgur.com/OU3klLc
https://imgur.com/kU8mTJD
https://imgur.com/X3BBPMU
I would not agree that the mega fat fat fonts were found during the gilt era. That is something that has been propagated of late by dealers and ambitious collectors, and is nothing more than wishful thinking to prop up the value of a gilt watch.

Super fat fonts and mega fat fonts are the same thing. Most of the collectors that I know and trust agree with this conclusion. Second, all red backs are at a minimum, considered fat font inserts. The later red backs are a little thinner than the earlier ones, but definitely thicker than found during the 1980s on up.

The insert in the imgur links appears to be the elusive super fat or mega fat font "Pepsi" insert circa 1970/1971. Enjoy that beauty!

Here is one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0543sm.jpg (133.9 KB, 826 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 12:05 PM   #8
1watch
"TRF" Member

What springer added above was good to clarify a misconception and I agree the super and mega fat font inserts are right after gilt. The gilt era were also redback with fat font. Many collectors put the later inserts on their gilt watches because they like the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I would not agree that the mega fat fat fonts were found during the gilt era. That is something that has been propagated of late by dealers and ambitious collectors, and is nothing more than wishful thinking to prop up the value of a gilt watch.

Super fat fonts and mega fat fonts are the same thing. Most of the collectors that I know and trust agree with this conclusion. Second, all red backs are at a minimum, considered fat font inserts. The later red backs are a little thinner than the earlier ones, but definitely thicker than found during the 1980s on up.

The insert in the imgur links appears to be the elusive super fat or mega fat font "Pepsi" insert circa 1970/1971. Enjoy that beauty!

Here is one of mine.
Thanks. I learned something today. BTW thats a nice looking fatty!..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 01:06 PM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Whatever we choose to call it, a more-or-less similar insert came on my 2.9M GMT. ;-)

Old 9 October 2020, 01:39 PM   #11
springer

Nice watch and insert Dan.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 9 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice watch and insert Dan.
Many thanks JP. While not shown in that photo, I was recently inspired by some old posts of yours, and swapped out the 78360 for a C&I rivet bracelet that was sitting unused. After some end-link tweaking, I am enjoying the change.
Old 13 October 2020, 12:25 PM   #13
statuskuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here is one of mine.
Thank you very much for that color JP! Your response is exactly why I came to this forum, I knew I still had more to learn about these inserts. Yours is extremely nice -- thanks for sharing
Old 13 October 2020, 12:48 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever we choose to call it, a more-or-less similar insert came on my 2.9M GMT. ;-)
Sweet! Mine is 2.9M too . Just posted it on another thread, but it seems to belong here too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121232610_204357757753080_2126210578681216232_n.jpg (198.1 KB, 677 views)
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 01:33 PM   #15
springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Sweet! Mine is 2.9M too . Just posted it on another thread, but it seems to belong here too.
Nice insert Zapokee and well within the super fat font era.

Old 13 October 2020, 01:45 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice insert Zapokee and well within the super fat font era.
I love how the patina of the insert numbers matches the patina on the dial.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 06:00 PM   #17
rlx1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From what i've read, the colors and fonts on the Pepsi bezel inserts were not stamped, but were anodized. If that's the case, then there no physical stamping on those inserts.
rlx1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 01:43 PM   #18
iclick
"TRF" Member

Here's my #2.32m with original bezel. Font isn't as fat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-close-L1.jpg (292.9 KB, 510 views)
Tudor Sub 79090 (1992)
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 07:53 PM   #19
DaMan1990
"TRF" Member

Nice watch and insert
DaMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 10:08 AM   #20
rlx1675
"TRF" Member

And here's my 3,000,xxx from 1972
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210211_164638 (002).jpg (144.9 KB, 320 views)
rlx1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 01:17 PM   #21
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Wish mine had one of those chubbies...

#3.259.XXX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022.05.19 Ponteiros 0a.jpg (213.1 KB, 300 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 02:31 PM   #22
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Yours is pretty thick, plus it’s got A great color to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 04:28 PM   #23
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Since we are all looking at inserts here is mine, semi thick but with a nice radial Iris effect.

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 05:06 PM   #24
SignotheTimes
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 05A52F74-E0E2-4395-A75B-48385B16B908.jpeg (287.9 KB, 283 views)
SignotheTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 03:05 AM   #25
EddieCurrent
"TRF" Member

This is my first post, I wanted to share a couple photos of my 2.8m and get some feedback. I really love the different bezels and learning about them. I'm not sure what you would call the font on mine (Fat?) but one thing I'm sure of is that it has some mild "Tiger stripes". I'm considering finding a Mega fat font, one thing I did not consider before buying this watch was the urge to now search out different bezel inserts (haha)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT 1.JPG (35.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg GMT 2.JPG (44.8 KB, 172 views)
EddieCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote