The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 05:02 AM   #1
bthsjava
"TRF" Member

16013 Serial Number Damage

Hi All, I bought a 16013 via Ebay which passed their authenticity guarantee. The watch is beautiful and everything looks good. Clasp Date Code is J4 which matches the white Buckley Dial. The one thing I noticed on Ebay's inspection is that it said "Worn Off" serial #. I opened it up and noticed that it seems that the serial # was either "Stabbed at" or corroded?

I don't think it looks intentional as I feel there would be better ways to do this if someone was trying to hide the numbers but has anyone seen anything like this before or can give some information on why this may have happened?

Don't think it will effect performance but I guess it will effect the future resale value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serial 1.jpg (136.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg serial 2.jpg (177.7 KB, 66 views)
bthsjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:10 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That type of pitting is pretty common, although this is more extrme than most. Generally believed to be due to perspiration or salt water retained in the end link. It has an effect on value, but how much will depend on the overall condition of the watch. If the rest of the watch is also somewhat worn, it won't have much of an impact IMO.
Old 29 March 2023, 05:31 AM   #3
bthsjava
"TRF" Member

Good to know that this does happen! Rest of the watch is in good-very good condition, and the other side of the case doesn’t have any putting it looks quite perfect under the other end link. Seems it has the original plexiglass and that only has one small scratch on it!

I feel I received a pretty good deal for this 16013 (just under $4K). I also found an older EBay authenticity card in the box it was sent in from late last year, guess person resold it to me after few months so it’s comforting to know that it was authenticated twice, two opinions, even though I know EBay’s guarantee isn’t the most reputable.

Don’t think I can really get a better deal on this watch, especially with the Buckley dial, so will be keeping it! Will likely go to a local watchmaker to give it a service as Rolex quoted me $950 ��
bthsjava is offline   Reply With Quote