The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 March 2023, 07:47 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Icon2 Advice Welcome

I love the look, warmth, and idea of vintage. However, every time I’ve ended up parting with a vintage Rolex - e.g., 5513, because something was off - case wasn’t honest enough, hands replaced, lume plot dimple, and I’ve usually taken a financial hit.

I told myself to focus only on “neo-vintage” and modern, but I can’t help but fall back into the vicious cycle of romanticizing the idea of a vintage Rolex reference.

Anybody been in a similar spot, and what direction did you ultimately go - leave the vintage Rolex arena, or step back into it and find your zen or continue the vicious cycle?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 12:10 PM   #2
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

To me vintage isn't about being perfect, its about the life its lived. If you want perfect don't waste the money or heartache. There are still good prices on super crisp 90s spots models. You might like that - especially tritium models.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 02:36 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Condition condition condition if you don't want to be stung on resale. More bargains you shop the more compromises you take and harder to sell with people beating you down.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 04:54 PM   #4
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Condition condition condition if you don't want to be stung on resale. More bargains you shop the more compromises you take and harder to sell with people beating you down.
Funnily enough, I have come to think the opposite. The only way you lose money on a four digit is to have paid beyond top dollar from a dealer/auction.

I love, wholly original, but to some scruffy 4 digits, snaffled at around trade price (that's the kick for me, snaffling a piece at great price irrespective of condition) and I've never failed to get circa 75-100% return after say 5-10 yrs.

I've never had any problems selling albeit at the right price (to reflect condition) as originality top trumps condition in my eyes.

One of my pals by comparison is VERY fussy, and only buys 100% perfect stuff and pays what I think is way, way too much from likes of Eric Wind et al.

Come sale time his circle of demand is much lower, at the even more eye watering price he seeks, and he usually, though not always' gets lower % returns than non-perfect stuff I've parted ways with.... especially if after no interest, he is forced to sell back at c. trade price to said esteemed plate glass dealers!!
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 09:21 PM   #5
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I do like the look of vintage watches but the reality of ownership has always been disappointing for me. I have given it a try on numerous occasions and have never been able to make it work long term. I like my watches to be trouble free and if there is an issue I like to be able to get them repaired without the added vintage expense. I have also been down the vintage car collecting route and the same. I do not tinker or mess with doing things myself beyond cleaning and basics so that can also be difficult. Different people have different experiences and are set up differently. The key is to find out which one you are.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 09:40 PM   #6
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Funnily enough, I have come to think the opposite. The only way you lose money on a four digit is to have paid beyond top dollar from a dealer/auction.

I love, wholly original, but to some scruffy 4 digits, snaffled at around trade price (that's the kick for me, snaffling a piece at great price irrespective of condition) and I've never failed to get circa 75-100% return after say 5-10 yrs.

I've never had any problems selling albeit at the right price (to reflect condition) as originality top trumps condition in my eyes.

One of my pals by comparison is VERY fussy, and only buys 100% perfect stuff and pays what I think is way, way too much from likes of Eric Wind et al.

Come sale time his circle of demand is much lower, at the even more eye watering price he seeks, and he usually, though not always' gets lower % returns than non-perfect stuff I've parted ways with.... especially if after no interest, he is forced to sell back at c. trade price to said esteemed plate glass dealers!!
All very true. The challenge is that the knowledge to be able to buy at trade prices without buying something with undisclosed issues is increasing difficult to acquire. With the more expensive dealers you are (hopefully) paying for that knowledge.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 11:36 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
All very true. The challenge is that the knowledge to be able to buy at trade prices without buying something with undisclosed issues is increasing difficult to acquire. With the more expensive dealers you are (hopefully) paying for that knowledge.
If you buy from a prestige dealer, you are overpaying by definition IMO, and virtually guaranteed to lose money on resale. And as we've repeatedly seen, there is still no guarantee that there won't be undisclosed issues.

It seems that people got used to the idea of huge price increases year after year, which made them think that it was ok to jump in at any price. Well it seems to me that those days are over, and one needs to be a little more thoughtful, unless you're sure you'll keep the watch forever.
Old 31 March 2023, 01:36 AM   #8
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

For me when I jump at a PM piece I am more concerned about condition being higher. My 5513 is an honest example of a well loved watch. Happy with it being that way. You go after a PM daytona... well better get the condition right imo
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 08:20 AM   #9
illiguy

The feedback and reaction to this thread has been quite impactful. Thank you, everyone.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote