The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 April 2023, 05:29 PM   #31
Jamwill79
"TRF" Member

All very interesting and I agree with this whole polishing topic being quite tricky. Nevertheless, the piece I've found looks very pleasing to the eye in person. My bad pictures certainly do it no favours! Once I have it back in my possession and it's had a nice clean, I'll pop some better ones up.

Regarding the pictures I posted of the case numbers, how were these actually applied? It seems some are punched in and some are engraved (badly) As I said above, some if the numbers on mine look dreadful!! No issues there do you think?

Thanks again everyone.
Jamwill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 11:00 PM   #32
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwill79 View Post
All very interesting and I agree with this whole polishing topic being quite tricky. Nevertheless, the piece I've found looks very pleasing to the eye in person. My bad pictures certainly do it no favours! Once I have it back in my possession and it's had a nice clean, I'll pop some better ones up.

Regarding the pictures I posted of the case numbers, how were these actually applied? It seems some are punched in and some are engraved (badly) As I said above, some if the numbers on mine look dreadful!! No issues there do you think?

Thanks again everyone.
The engravings are fine - the wonky results of the engravings are from the use of a pantograph engraver which Rolex used for engravings during the era that this watch was manufactured.

Read all about pantograph engravers here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pantograph...=v342-1&ia=web

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 06:41 AM   #33
Jamwill79
"TRF" Member

Well I went and fetched the watch today and this evening I took it apart, gave it a nice clean and sized it. It's absolutely lovely and I'm chuffed to be wearing it.

I also took some better shots, but only on my phone. Weirdly, it looks more worn in the flesh, but you get an idea of condition. The dial, hands and date wheel etc are in such good condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230406_212903.jpg (289.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230406_212802.jpg (269.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230406_212739.jpg (268.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230406_212621.jpg (262.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230406_213357.jpg (283.7 KB, 59 views)
Jamwill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 08:32 AM   #34
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamwill79 View Post
Well I went and fetched the watch today and this evening I took it apart, gave it a nice clean and sized it. It's absolutely lovely and I'm chuffed to be wearing it.

I also took some better shots, but only on my phone. Weirdly, it looks more worn in the flesh, but you get an idea of condition. The dial, hands and date wheel etc are in such good condition.
That Rolex crown sure looks a bit wonky from that era, although I'm not expert on these explorers but enjoy regardless. I also wanted one of these at one point but they are way too expensive now and that dial certainly is funky.

I also recently acquired vintage 5513 sub which I'm wearing right now and really all legit in the most amazing condition that I got for a steal compared to most dealer prices these days.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2023, 08:35 AM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedione65 View Post
That Rolex crown sure looks a bit wonky from that era, although I'm not expert on these explorers but enjoy regardless. I also wanted one of these at one point but they are way too expensive now and that dial certainly is funky.

I also recently acquired vintage 5513 sub which I'm wearing right now and really all legit in the most amazing condition that I got for a steal compared to most dealer prices these days.
By "crown," I supposer you mean to say "coronet." You may want to do some research on dial variants before commenting.

If you want to show your 5513, I'm sure members would love to see it ... in your own separate thread.
Old 7 April 2023, 09:10 AM   #36
jedione65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
By "crown," I supposer you mean to say "coronet." You may want to do some research on dial variants before commenting.

If you want to show your 5513, I'm sure members would love to see it ... in your own separate thread.
Yes, I mean coronet. I stand corrected.
jedione65 is offline   Reply With Quote