The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2023, 03:39 PM   #1
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Unique and interesting or just bad?

Splotchy tropical dial. Note the relumed hands (all 3) and replaced bezel. Maybe it’s just an “at what price is it ok” question?

mattg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 04:24 PM   #2
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
I sure do like the brownish tint that it has.
I don’t believe most of the nice looking 40 to 70 year old watches we see out there are 100% organic and left along anyway.
Old 25 April 2023, 07:26 PM   #3
Data666
"TRF" Member

I like tropic dials. Very valuable now and in future. Keep it

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Data666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 10:15 PM   #4
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake

Find a better example. The tropical thing only plays if the fade is even, your better off spending the cash on a really nice white 1680.

If you ever had to sell this or wanted to sell it you would have a hard time & would likely lose money.

If you want this watch, sure it has character. I would say it worth what the case/movement/strap is worth.
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 11:24 PM   #5
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Find a better example. The tropical thing only plays if the fade is even, your better off spending the cash on a really nice white 1680.

If you ever had to sell this or wanted to sell it you would have a hard time & would likely lose money.

If you want this watch, sure it has character. I would say it worth what the case/movement/strap is worth.

At low $20 k range I felt like that was about the math? 1680 red watches not too many below $20
Old 25 April 2023, 11:30 PM   #6
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

As much as I love used worn things, I personally can’t afford to buy a watch like this as beater. If you already own a bunch of Rolex Subs and you like this one to wear as a daily beater etc then go for it.

If your shopping for a red sub based on price i think your messing up unless you’re prepared to own the watch forever potentially.

Maybe I’m looking at this wrong but the dial is the most important part. I have personally bought a watch with a damaged dial and thought it wouldn’t bother me only to realize it bothered the piss out of me and I LUCKED out big time and traded it for something else & still lost 2k.

Just think it through well, the watch will be there for plenty time while you do. I’m not a watch guru but I notice only the nicest examples (dials) are moving well lately. If this had even patina maybe, but it’s damaged IMHO.

————-————-————-

Forget this watch exists for a moment and explain what are you after - what’s your budget/reasoning/idea etc.
Old 25 April 2023, 11:38 PM   #7
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

19 is sky high for a sub w/wrong insert & no bracelet I’m pretty sure. That’s essentially a case with a $500 insert (service insert, but from the 80’s and correct for 80’s subs) and a movement. Not only is the dial discolored, the lume has started flaking.

17-20k - go buy the creamiest, nicest late 70’s 1680 you can find with box & papers and tell me I was right a few years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 26 April 2023, 08:20 PM   #8
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
19 is sky high for a sub w/wrong insert & no bracelet I’m pretty sure. That’s essentially a case with a $500 insert (service insert, but from the 80’s and correct for 80’s subs) and a movement. Not only is the dial discolored, the lume has started flaking.

17-20k - go buy the creamiest, nicest late 70’s 1680 you can find with box & papers and tell me I was right a few years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all the thoughts. All makes sense. It’d be one of many subs in my collection so less pressure vs an only watch. There are a series of other tropical subs in excellent to super excellent condition on the market available for sale but for whatever reason they just don’t speak to me. Fwiw I think you’re not differentiating price points between red 1680s and whites (reds being much rarer so almost none trading below $20k). It’s also a meters first, which I think commands a premium typically. It was super helpful to hear you thought you’d be ok with a damaged dial but then ultimately weren’t. Definitely my biggest concern. I basically love the colors (brown and bright yellow) and the fact that it has the special metallic dial that I find only a few 1680 red subs have. But I of course wish it weren’t splotchy. That said, when it’s too perfect that’s also offputting for a vintage watch

Not sure if this link will work but in the wrist roll here you can see the silvery charcoal metallic sheen when the dial first hits the light. Most 5513/1680/1675 matte dials don’t look like this, they stay more matte (take a quick glance through the other reels here - should be good comparison given it’s like for like camera and lighting), but a select few do and I happen to really like that

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnRD4...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Overall I agree it’s a very tough-to-sell watch and you’re right it’s probably loss making. I’m investigating to see if it’s actually more special than it seems but probably end up ultimately at your conclusion
Old 26 April 2023, 08:34 PM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I'm not too down on this tbh.

A MTRS first red commands about 1/4 to 1/3 extra over a much more common later dial.

It's turned brown (albeit uneven), has orig. Crown and looks pretty ok to my eyes.

I come at this from the 37mm Sub angle, where most 50/60s gilt dials have similar flaws so I'm not perturbed by uneven dial patina too much.

A 9315 and perhaps a period insert and it would be a nice piece.
But just for today I think I lie here and dream of you
Uncertain Smile THE THE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 03:14 AM   #10
mattg6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
I'm not too down on this tbh.

A MTRS first red commands about 1/4 to 1/3 extra over a much more common later dial.

It's turned brown (albeit uneven), has orig. Crown and looks pretty ok to my eyes.

I come at this from the 37mm Sub angle, where most 50/60s gilt dials have similar flaws so I'm not perturbed by uneven dial patina too much.

A 9315 and perhaps a period insert and it would be a nice piece.

Yeah that was my thought too, thanks for replying. I think the buyer group for these (1680/5513) is less tolerant compared to the earlier vintage category
Old 27 April 2023, 01:30 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I will go with interesting bad.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 11:01 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It seems to me that this is very subjective and the only opinion that matters is yours. But if you think that other people's opinions will be helpful, I will say that it's unappealing to me. Not a buy.
Old 28 April 2023, 12:25 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Big pass for me. Although the dial looks kinda cool, the relumed hands, replaced insert and mediocre case (note top right lug) are three strikes, four if you include the dial issues. I'd much rather pay more and get a really nice tropical red 1680.

You're in the $20K range for this? That's a ton of money for an undesirable example.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 02:08 AM   #14
lupus66
"TRF" Member

a really nice tropical mf red is over 40 what i’m seeing. ans probly also servicehands and a nicely recut case.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote