The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 October 2023, 10:27 AM   #1
nhoangtam
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Constantin Fiftysix Complete Calendar Rotor

Hi all, I have an issue with my VC Fiftysix Complete Calendar that I am hoping those who have this watch can shed some information for me. I have owned this watch for 2 years. I started wearing it more now. Recently I noticed that the 22K rotor would rotate/spin more than usual. What I mean is I can hear the rotor sound while wearing it. It's just not a small movement on the rotor but rather several spins of the rotor when I move my hand. If I look at the back of the watch and give it a little shake, I can see the rotor spin/rotate several rounds; as if it's loose. I don't know if that's normal or not. I have not noticed that before or I just never pay attention. I don't live near an AD, so I can't just stop by and ask them. If you have this model, could you check and let me know the behavior of your watch rotor. It runs and keeps time well; but the spinning of the rotor kind of worries me. It could just be normal. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
nhoangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 07:49 AM   #2
lopro
"TRF" Member

I'll have a look at mine when I get back to it after travels. It is a unidirectional winder, so don't know if that's a factor in what you're observing.

I do know that mine isn't completely silent and it does spin more in one direction. Hope that helps for now, but I'm away from my FiftySix for a couple more weeks. Otherwise, it's a great timepiece!
lopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2023, 11:23 PM   #3
jed11
"TRF" Member

I owned the basic fifty six model and the rotor behaved the same way - spun very easily, loosely, audibly, and as you mentioned, would spin several times when I would 'force' it to spin. I realize it's a different movement but I believe the rotors were the same (and would imagine the actual winding design is similar). I will let other owners chime in but I would say it is normal.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 02:03 AM   #4
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I actually took my Overseas Dual Time to the boutique because the rotor was making a bit of a noise while spinning. The local watchmaker assured me that this is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

The FiftySix CC is a really nice watch by the way, I was actually very close to getting one but then I ended up getting a call for my Overseas instead.
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 02:37 PM   #5
991C4S
2024 Pledge Member

I do not have a Fiftysix. However, my LUC 1860 is very loud and acoustic for being a small watch with a micro rotor. I had it checked when I purchased a while back and they said it is fine. I can hear the rotor while my hand is on the steering wheel of my car. I've owned it about 10 years now, being serviced with Chopard for the first time, coming back with the same noise.
Rolex Datejust II 116300 x Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040
991C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2023, 10:38 PM   #6
nhoangtam
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much everyone. That makes me feel better. I really appreciate the information.
Old 3 November 2023, 11:27 PM   #7
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I suspect that the noise originates from ceramic ball bearings in the rotor. Many companies now use them. I hate the noise and feel it's anti-luxury...I want a watch that operates quietly. This is one reason I don't buy any more modern JLCs with exhibition case backs. The rotor noise is ridiculous.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2023, 04:22 PM   #8
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I suspect that the noise originates from ceramic ball bearings in the rotor. Many companies now use them. I hate the noise and feel it's anti-luxury...I want a watch that operates quietly. This is one reason I don't buy any more modern JLCs with exhibition case backs. The rotor noise is ridiculous.

That was indeed the explanation the VC Boutique watchmaker gave me for my Overseas.
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2023, 02:33 AM   #9
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoangtam View Post
Hi all, I have an issue with my VC Fiftysix Complete Calendar that I am hoping those who have this watch can shed some information for me. I have owned this watch for 2 years. I started wearing it more now. Recently I noticed that the 22K rotor would rotate/spin more than usual. What I mean is I can hear the rotor sound while wearing it. It's just not a small movement on the rotor but rather several spins of the rotor when I move my hand. If I look at the back of the watch and give it a little shake, I can see the rotor spin/rotate several rounds; as if it's loose. I don't know if that's normal or not. I have not noticed that before or I just never pay attention. I don't live near an AD, so I can't just stop by and ask them. If you have this model, could you check and let me know the behavior of your watch rotor. It runs and keeps time well; but the spinning of the rotor kind of worries me. It could just be normal. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
I have the exact same watch. It’s out of my rotation so it’s been sitting at the bank. Yesterday I went there to pick up another watch, and after reading your post, I decided to check out the rotor. Yes it spins very freely, and I can shake it a little and it go around more than 10x. I can hear the ceramic bearings if only when I pay attention, but that could be my old ears. Based on your description, I think your watch is fine.

BTW, how do you like wearing yours? The Fiftysix line get a bad reputation but the complete calendar is really a lovely watch, with right balance between traditional and modern design clues. Looks like this tread can use a picture…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5519.jpeg (169.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 12 November 2023, 11:51 AM   #10
nhoangtam
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for confirming it. I feel better now. I really like wearing it. It's on rotation with my Datejust and the Fiftysix CC can be casual or formal. It's actually a very nice watch. It feels very comfortable on the wrist.