The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 November 2023, 01:35 PM   #61
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
I appreciate the info but sadly I probably couldn’t make the purchase now even if I wanted to. This has been a weird year for me with watches. I got rid of most of my current watch collection which I never thought I would ever do. I planned to buy a De Bethune but instead put a deposit down on a Voutilainen and Grönefeld. I’m really struggling with what to do with my remaining watch funds which are not as much as I wish it was. I’m still holding out hope for a Simon Brette which I am almost certain ain’t gonna happen. Once that’s official I have to decide between one more big purchase or 2-3 smaller ones. That being said, the MB&F is so tempting. Someone give me more money lol.

Hehe. And you are complaining. Classic first world problem
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 01:43 PM   #62
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Voutilainen and Grönefeld.
Both are great watchmakers. Congratulations in advance
You never know Simon may contact you for the RG CA sooner than later. Hope you get yours.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 01:47 PM   #63
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Hehe. And you are complaining. Classic first world problem
Lol very true. It is kind of insane to gripe about not being able to afford all the watches I want. I am very lucky to be able to spend this amount of money so frivolously. I just love this hobby and it’s fun to dream about watches I can never afford but also splurge on ones I’m fortunate enough to get.
FrugalGreubel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 01:57 PM   #64
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Both are great watchmakers. Congratulations in advance
You never know Simon may contact you for the RG CA sooner than later. Hope you get yours.

You’re right. It’s possible I might still get offered the RG. If happens I’m gonna be so giddy but if it doesn’t then I can make the fun decision of what will takes it’s place. Then I’ll have to sadly wait a very long time for the next purchase. When that happens I plan to live vicariously through all the awesome members on this forum.
Old 14 November 2023, 02:00 PM   #65
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol very true. It is kind of insane to gripe about not being able to afford all the watches I want. I am very lucky to be able to spend this amount of money so frivolously. I just love this hobby and it’s fun to dream about watches I can never afford but also splurge on ones I’m fortunate enough to get.

If I can afford everything I want, this will not be a fun hobby anymore. With a limit of what we can acquire, it forces us to do the research and soul searching. I truly believe that it is half of the fun and also makes every piece special to our heart.

If we can just get anything we want and splurge on every one, we were just hoarding. I am sure the watchmakers would not want us to that.
Old 14 November 2023, 02:16 PM   #66
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If I can afford everything I want, this will not be a fun hobby anymore. With a limit of what we can acquire, it forces us to do the research and soul searching. I truly believe that it is half of the fun and also makes every piece special to our heart.

If we can just get anything we want and splurge on every one, we were just hoarding. I am sure the watchmakers would not want us to that.
You’re absolutely right. That’s what led me to sell most of my watches and shift to what I’m trying to get now. Up until very recently I was just buying on impulse. Most of it was sold at a loss but it was the right call for me. I miss some of them but I realized what kind of watches I truly want to spend my money on. If I put it on and it doesn’t bring a smile to my face, then what’s the point? The best part is that it doesn’t have to be something crazy expensive to feel that way. Right now the two watches that get the most wrist time are my MAD Red One and a Casioak.
Old 14 November 2023, 03:59 PM   #67
Golden Palomino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a picture of the 44mm LM2 on me. Now looking at this picture, I may need to loosen the strap a little.

This is superb. It’s everything I’d want in an MB&F and none of the other stuff. Less a fan of classic busy sub-dialed perpetual look. Big fan of the suspended balance wheel thing they do and I like the way they have 2 here beating side by side but not perfectly in phase. And the single dial for the time, is that enamel? This is the one I’d want.

I agree that watches look bigger in these wrist pics and wish now I had been paying more attention to the real size in person. The strap was way too tight at first and perhaps that threw me off. I didn’t even think to check it out in the mirror … Be that as it may it’s above my pay grade (for now?). But next time I’m in there I’m gonna dig deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golden Palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2023, 04:05 PM   #68
Golden Palomino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by break View Post
Oh interesting - so we’re getting a blue dialed Streamliner with a micro rotor?

The perfect combination for yours truly - micro rotor, zany color, completely minimal dial

Old 14 November 2023, 04:10 PM   #69
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Palomino View Post
This is superb. It’s everything I’d want in an MB&F and none of the other stuff. Less a fan of classic busy sub-dialed perpetual look. Big fan of the suspended balance wheel thing they do and I like the way they have 2 here beating side by side but not perfectly in phase. And the single dial for the time, is that enamel? This is the one I’d want.

I agree that watches look bigger in these wrist pics and wish now I had been paying more attention to the real size in person. The strap was way too tight at first and perhaps that threw me off. I didn’t even think to check it out in the mirror … Be that as it may it’s above my pay grade (for now?). But next time I’m in there I’m gonna dig deeper.

The dial is not enamel but it is what MB&F called tensioned lacquer.

I called the out-of-sync balance counter-Resonance as opposed to a Resonance (e.g. FPJ) movement. The two balance wheels are set far away to ensure they do not go into resonance. And one thing I love about this movement/dial is that if you stare at it long enough, you can actually see the differential moving at six o'clock which I can never see on the FPJ RQ.
Old 14 November 2023, 04:10 PM   #70
Golden Palomino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by break View Post
Absolutely - here is a collection of pics of the base Streamliner on my 16.5cm wrist

https://imgur.com/a/XwjYV6D

That dial in your video is crazy. I’d love to see one of these in the real world someday

Old 14 November 2023, 04:21 PM   #71
Golden Palomino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The dial is not enamel but it is what MB&F called tensioned lacquer.

I called the out-of-sync balance counter-Resonance as opposed to a Resonance (e.g. FPJ) movement. The two balance wheels are set far away to ensure they do not go into resonance. And one thing I love about this movement/dial is that if you stare at it long enough, you can actually see the differential moving at six o'clock which I can never see on the FPJ RQ.

Yes! Their resonances are intentionally isolated and the differential applies the harmony. Very cool!