The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2023, 01:48 AM   #1
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Interviews with FHB

With Francois leaving AP in the next few months, I thought it will be good to start a thread and post links of interviews he has done.
Unlike some other watch companies which are closed like an oyster, he is sharing facts and updates in the interviews which I think is important for the customers and watch fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuhX3_dfgw

Here is one which is very recent. Some of the highlights for me are towards the end of the interview where he talks about:
- smart bracelets, apparently they have been working on this for 5 years but the final outcome currently is still not convenient

After leaving AP he will:
- stay in Switzerland
- never be an employee ever again
- take a break for 6 months to ''reboot the system'' before the next venture
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 01:51 AM   #2
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

He’s been on a roll with doing interviews I’ve seen several in French lately.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #3
AEV
"TRF" Member

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style...-oneal-and-jay

Here is another one from 3 months ago where he confirms AP will enter the pre-owned market in 2024:
“On the secondary market, the goal is not to be the first but to do it right,” says Bennahmias. “We took our time to make sure not to make certain mistakes so AP will officially enter the world of pre-owned watches in 2024.
Old 16 August 2023, 02:09 AM   #4
AEV
"TRF" Member

Not much traction on this thread but I will keep posting.

This is the latest one I could find from early August, short 10 mins in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_Pra9zhh4

- Ilaria starts on the 14th of August
- Watches that will come out on the market in 2024 and some of 2025 were already shown to 250 AP people.
''It's only the beginning, what we have build is going to last for many more years.''
Old 16 August 2023, 07:28 AM   #5
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post

This is the latest one I could find from early August, short 10 mins in English.

- Watches that will come out on the market in 2024 and some of 2025 were already shown to 250 AP people.
''It's only the beginning, what we have build is going to last for many more years.''
Thank you for sharing. His interviews are not only insightful for watch enthusiasts, but also for those looking for leadership advice etc

What an amazing run he had with AP
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2023, 04:07 PM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Finally got around to watching this one; very interesting to hear, and even try to learn from. Surprised to hear that he and the new CEO only talked for the first time a few weeks ago.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 07:28 AM   #7
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

It's probably not a widely shared opinion on this forum, but I am happy to see FHB go.

Even though he definitely increased sales (but who wouldn't have done so in this market with the ride we had over the last 10 years!!! even a donkey would have), to me he diluted the brand's equity and I am definitely not a fan of his celebrity / bro nonsense, starting with VIP treatment of some so-called stars or the marvel partnership (god!!! this still makes me wake up in terror on sleepless nights ;-)). AP has so much more to offer in its history than become a copycat of Hublot..., which is probably the zenith of irony. Good riddance. Let's see what comes though...
As always, fell free to disagree. Only my opinion.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:44 AM   #8
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

.''
Please do! Interesting!
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:05 AM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
It's probably not a widely shared opinion on this forum, but I am happy to see FHB go.

Even though he definitely increased sales (but who wouldn't have done so in this market with the ride we had over the last 10 years!!! even a donkey would have), to me he diluted the brand's equity and I am definitely not a fan of his celebrity / bro nonsense, starting with VIP treatment of some so-called stars or the marvel partnership (god!!! this still makes me wake up in terror on sleepless nights ;-)). AP has so much more to offer in its history than become a copycat of Hublot..., which is probably the zenith of irony. Good riddance. Let's see what comes though...
As always, fell free to disagree. Only my opinion.
I agree with what you said regarding FHB and his bias towards celebrities. I think it’s highly unfair that celebrities, even C-listed ones get an easy pass to pieces. Feels like he is using AP and his position as CEO for his personal sake to forge close relationship with celebrities. That being said, as a whole, he did grow AP to what it is today. The RO has never been more popular than it is today and credit has to be given to FHB and his leadership. Also there’s no guarantee that the next CEO is able to steer the ship in the right direction. Look at Hublot with RG at the helm compared to when JCB was involved. The true litmus test of FHB’s ability will only be highlighted when the next CEO is fully involved, and that effect would only be visible from 2025 onwards.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:17 PM   #10
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

I see the celebrities preference as a strategic move where AP would get more presence on social media via these celebrities hyping the watches up. Smart as it's cheap marketing for a huge audience but still not very enthusiast / collector friendly.
I'm hopeful the new CEO will do a great job and do right by enthusiasts.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2023, 09:01 PM   #11
AEV
"TRF" Member

Posting the latest interview of Francois that I could find. This was filmed before the announcement of the latest collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlW9fs8OMrk&t=1657s

Interesting but not surprising to see the 5 watches he picked up that mark his legacy at AP.