The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 December 2023, 09:30 AM   #31
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Tough crowd! I have been buying Rolex from AD since 1984 and still enjoy stopping into dealers just to browse and chat. I never go into one “hoping to get lucky” for any random model they might offer, I already know which one I might want next and most likely have already asked my regular SA/AD for it.
I am alway courteous and expect the same in return and that has almost always happened so yes the OP’s visit sounds good to me. In the unlikely event that the watch I am waiting for was offered I’d probably buy it on the spot but that is not my expectation. I wouldn’t lose any status at my regular AD by telling them I found one elsewhere.
Old 25 December 2023, 09:37 AM   #32
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Tough crowd! I have been buying Rolex from AD since 1984 and still enjoy stopping into dealers just to browse and chat. I never go into one “hoping to get lucky” for any random model they might offer, I already know which one I might want next and most likely have already asked my regular SA/AD for it.
I am alway courteous and expect the same in return and that has almost always happened so yes the OP’s visit sounds good to me. In the unlikely event that the watch I am waiting for was offered I’d probably buy it on the spot but that is not my expectation. I wouldn’t lose any status at my regular AD by telling them I found one elsewhere.
Completely agree.
Old 25 December 2023, 10:36 AM   #33
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Don’t think anyone would disagree with any of this. I think the part that is debatable is ——-walking into a dealer, being offered or promised nothing but a free catalog——-considering that a “great experience”.
I remember walking into AD’s 10 years ago and being offered a drink, some chocolates, and a discount on a Sub. Man, the expectations have changed
Old 25 December 2023, 02:32 PM   #34
bones78
"TRF" Member

I've been on the list for a Sub at Long's since August. Crickets.
Old 25 December 2023, 05:22 PM   #35
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Headline!!! “SA was nice.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 December 2023, 05:26 PM   #36
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I was hoping for at least a Rolex catalogue.

Read it again! He was given a Rolex Catalogue….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 25 December 2023, 07:02 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Good to hear. Far too many SAs have forgotten what good customer service is.
Agreed
Old 25 December 2023, 09:25 PM   #38
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post
I struggle to see how going into a store, hoping to buy something, and leaving with nothing because the dealer is keeping stock in the back for either high rollers or to sell out the back door to grey dealers is a good experience.
Especially as 6 years ago you should have been able to buy anything and everything with a discount on most pieces.

The fact that we accept this from dealers is the reason this nonsense continues.
There is no shortage, the grey market proves that, there is artificial constraints on supply, and an illusion that not being abused by a sales person is somehow a good experience.
This - fully agreed.
Old 25 December 2023, 11:48 PM   #39
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

Im eagerly awaiting Rolex pulling the contracts of the few ADs Ive bought from given their behavior over the last 3 years. I stress eagerly.
Old 25 December 2023, 11:57 PM   #40
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

So nice. My AD removed the rope at the front door of the store and the guard actually smiled at me as I was let into the store after a 5 minute wait! Happy times! I wish i was just being facetious!
Old 26 December 2023, 03:05 AM   #41
Rolesor_66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, FOIS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post
I struggle to see how going into a store, hoping to buy something, and leaving with nothing because the dealer is keeping stock in the back for either high rollers or to sell out the back door to grey dealers is a good experience.
Especially as 6 years ago you should have been able to buy anything and everything with a discount on most pieces.

The fact that we accept this from dealers is the reason this nonsense continues.
There is no shortage, the grey market proves that, there is artificial constraints on supply, and an illusion that not being abused by a sales person is somehow a good experience.

As most poeple didn't start collecting 6 years ago, this is an overall positive experience OP had at a northshore mall. I don't understand where your perspective is coming from.
Old 26 December 2023, 04:34 AM   #42
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolesor_66 View Post
As most poeple didn't start collecting 6 years ago, this is an overall positive experience OP had at a northshore mall. I don't understand where your perspective is coming from.
My perspective comes from the fact that this is, at best, a neutral experience. Not being treated like garbage is what you expect from ANY retail store, whether buying 50c socks from the dollar store or a $10,000 watch.

But it certainly isn't positive when the watches are in no way rare or in short supply, they are however just overwhelmingly going direct to grey dealers, and as AD are the ones controlling supply one can only posit that they must be the ones fuelling the grey dealers. Therein lies the problem.
Lots of people "in the know" know the AD safes have lots of watches in them, but they're not for you.
This makes it a negative experience.

And it was the OP who mentioned 6 years ago; at that time the AD were rolling out the red carpet just to get you to buy anything, and large discounts, after exceptional service were the norm.
Old 12 September 2024, 02:35 PM   #43
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMTII, DSSD
Sometimes you go back and look at the posts you started on TRF- probably like Googling your name. In this case, I am revisiting/posting because I wanted to close the loop / ensure that this post ended in a in a happy ending with two acquistions.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=951907
Closed Thread