The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2023, 01:53 PM   #91
Nico81
Banned

Watch: Out
Market has spoken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 04:31 PM   #92
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
It's a nice watch, I'd hang on to it, just wait until Rolex discontinues the SD43 then everyone and their friends will be out looking for one :)
I think the opposite. Not everybody will be tearing through sales threads to pick one up.

It's large.
Mostly comfortable to the flat-wristed.
Weird being right between a classic Sub and a 1mm bigger Deep-sea.

I had one for a couple of years and had to go the Sub date route for comfort
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 04:52 PM   #93
David1973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
A Submariner never had a ceramic bezel until it did. Does it cease being a Submariner due to technological improvements? Rolex stated the Sea Dweller line did not have a date magnifier because the technology wasn't available to properly attach it at that depth without it failing. Having a cyclops, which is as signature Rolex as it gets, does not mean a Sea Dweller is no longer a Sea Dweller. You may PREFER it to not have a magnifier, but that doesn't diminish the watch itself IMO.
Yes, the adhesives back then were unsuitable for this. This is how the tradition arose that the Sea-Dweller models were delivered without a date magnifier.

And I'm into traditions, others aren't. To each his own.

A ceramic bezel has not changed the classic look of the Submariner.
Suddenly using a date magnifier changes the entire visual appearance of the watch. For me it was just a quick flash in the pan with the SD50, but I also tried it because I've been a fan of the Sea-Dweller series since the beginning and the lack of a date magnifier was a contributing reason.

So it was now visually too close to the sub for me. So I'm sticking with my Submariner models and the DeepSea, for example, and I'm happy with that.
David1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 07:55 PM   #94
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
It's a nice watch, I'd hang on to it, just wait until Rolex discontinues the SD43 then everyone and their friends will be out looking for one :)
I think the opposite. Not everybody will be tearing through sales threads to pick one up.
Yes, I think there'd be the inevitable flurry of FOMO buyers for a couple of weeks, and then it'd be back to BAU.

After all, the SD4K (which was produced in far smaller numbers due to its short production run, while also being the first ceramic bezel SD, as well as the last 40mm non-cyclops SD) still doesn't really set the secondary market alight.

The SD is quite a niche piece, without the following truly deserves.
Old 24 October 2023, 08:04 PM   #95
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Yes, I think there'd be the inevitable flurry of FOMO buyers for a couple of weeks, and then it'd be back to BAU.

After all, the SD4K (which was produced in far smaller numbers due to its short production run, while also being the first ceramic bezel SD, as well as the last 40mm non-cyclops SD) still doesn't really set the secondary market alight.

The SD is quite a niche piece, without the following truly deserves.
SD4K is disproportionate 40mm size with 15.5mm thickness. Very odd looking on the wrist. The SD43 is much proportionate, and looks good on the wrist. It's the 50 Anniversary which is the most important anniversary, and has a red line like the first red line Sea Dweller, also the first SD with cyclops after Rolex figured out how to do it. If you are looking at a small run then go for a Mk1 SD43 which was only a one year anniversary dial production. Mk1 SD43 may be the collectable one in 20 years.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 08:38 PM   #96
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
SD4K is disproportionate 40mm size with 15.5mm thickness. Very odd looking on the wrist. The SD43 is much proportionate, and looks good on the wrist. It's the 50 Anniversary which is the most important anniversary, and has a red line like the first red line Sea Dweller, also the first SD with cyclops after Rolex figured out how to do it. If you are looking at a small run then go for a Mk1 SD43 which was only a one year anniversary dial production. Mk1 SD43 may be the collectable one in 20 years.
I guess we'll see one day!
Old 25 October 2023, 05:53 AM   #97
genta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard1675 View Post
The 50th anniversary Sea Dweller 126600 is bulked up to 43mm with red lettering and cyclops date.

I'm curious as to why it is pretty much the only Rolex Professional selling on the secondary market for less than retail.

I had one and sold it because I felt the proportions were off (hands too small) and I also felt the bezel had too much play.

Curious as to how others feel about this model and why the "poor" performance on the secondary market.

It’s too big…
Prefer 40mm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
genta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 03:01 PM   #98
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I love the Rolex that will forever piss off the fanboys .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 07:42 PM   #99
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I love the Rolex that will forever piss off the fanboys .
Superb!
I remember selling a steel Daytona 116520 some years back, the buyer was a merchant banker in the city, he was so disappointed to see that it didn’t have a date but he had been told it was ‘the’ watch to buy for bragging rights and kudos’ which to him was all that mattered so bought it anyway. I guess that just sums up some folk, a lot of emotional hate towards the SD43 for some reason, it’s slightly bigger that a Submariner - which every one loves - and on the wrist looks the same to 99% of the population, there is no hype around them because the Rolex herd have decided - therefore they seem great value at the moment.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 07:50 PM   #100
jokgga
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD 126660
This is my next watch! Got the 126660, which I love but that red marking makes this one so unique.

Wonder if it will have the same value as the vintage red submariners, one day.
jokgga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 08:18 PM   #101
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokgga View Post
This is my next watch! Got the 126660, which I love but that red marking makes this one so unique.

Wonder if it will have the same value as the vintage red submariners, one day.
Well no-one really knows, but I'd say it's highly unlikely as the vintage Single Red 1665 Sea-Dweller was produced in tiny numbers as it was basically a prototype. Modern Rolexes are produced in (comparatively) vast numbers, so "rarity" isn't really a thing these days.
Old 27 December 2023, 02:27 AM   #102
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

Love mine. It’s like the LNc Sub in that it can be worn with anything, but unlike the LNc, you do not see a whole lot of them in the wild. In fact, over the years I have seen probably hundreds of black subs on wrists, and maybe 1-2 SD43’s. The matte black dial and red text are a very nice touch. The size, thickness, and weight have never been an issue for me. I have both the SD43 and MKII LVc, and they get equal wrist time.
trout_thumper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 02:53 AM   #103
hojlund
"TRF" Member

you need a strong and muscular arm to carry this bad boy due to the smaller case back design, SD43 is not for the average guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20231227_004842_Gallery.jpg (270.7 KB, 98 views)
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 03:00 AM   #104
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Sat in a display case ..

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 03:01 AM   #105
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
I don't see it as a true SD. Sorry.
Old 27 December 2023, 03:03 AM   #106
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
Sat in a display case ..

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
phenomenal!
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 04:54 AM   #107
I Am Spartacus
"TRF" Member

I have both the SD43 and 12 series Sub. I would never be without either and like children, I cannot confess to having a favourite. That said… the SD43 is my go to watch if I want to feel that little bit extra. I love its size and how it makes me feel. I am not a large chap by any means but I do have flattish wrists which I think help with the wearability of this piece. The red text is nice, but in reality does not pop against the black dial. In fact unless you look under the right light, it’s hard to see it at all.

I don’t understand how others feel wrist fatigue, it’s only a watch after all. I do however respect people views if it’s not for them. Personally I don’t get Daytona’s. Some are not very legible and on the smaller side, but live and let live.
I Am Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 05:20 AM   #108
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Spartacus View Post
I have both the SD43 and 12 series Sub. I would never be without either and like children, I cannot confess to having a favourite. That said… the SD43 is my go to watch if I want to feel that little bit extra. I love its size and how it makes me feel. I am not a large chap by any means but I do have flattish wrists which I think help with the wearability of this piece. The red text is nice, but in reality does not pop against the black dial. In fact unless you look under the right light, it’s hard to see it at all.
I feel the same way. It's an amazing watch! The size/heft is just right.

Quote:
I don’t understand how others feel wrist fatigue, it’s only a watch after all. I do however respect people views if it’s not for them.
.... and those same people would never complain of "wrist fatique" when wearing their full PM piece which is even heavier

Quote:
Personally I don’t get Daytona’s. Some are not very legible and on the smaller side, but live and let live.
Indeed they are rather small. Most pics tend to be close-ups to show the dial detail. Then again there's no way I'd turn down an SS model. Hopefully some AD will have display model, but so far throughout ~10 years of AD browsing I've never seen one in the flesh. (They're no doubt in the safe waiting to be picked up by a "good customer" )
amh is offline   Reply With Quote