The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 January 2024, 03:47 AM   #31
taura
"TRF" Member

I have no idea about the market, but as far as watches go that's money well spent!
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 05:56 AM   #32
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 07:39 AM   #33
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Super nice
Old 28 January 2024, 04:31 PM   #34
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, you did very well. $30K USD is an excellent price for your Langematik Perpetual even with missing papers. When you said it came with the box, did you mean the winder? This watch originally came with the winder below (which was made by Scatola), except yours would be yellow brass (for the YG model). It's a giant box. The second and third generation Lange winders are smaller and not made by Scatola.

This is a watch that looks fantastic in yellow gold. Lange first introduced it in yellow gold and platinum (below). Shortly thereafter, they discontinued the YG model and replaced it with rose gold.

Yours is an early example. We know this because the early Langematik Perpetuals in YG and PT have the protruding rectangular pushbutton at the top left. This pusher is round and recessed on the later YG and PT ones, and all the RG ones. I very much prefer the older ones, like yours, because this pusher gets a lot of use, and it's much slower to actuate when it's recessed. Lange did a really poor job marketing the amazing functionality of this pusher. It doesn't just change the date. It advances every calendar function by 1 day each time you push it. So you initially have to set each function on the watch separately, but theoretically you won't have to do that again. You can just use that pusher to advance everything by 1 day if you don't wear the watch for several days/weeks (or even months).

Also, many people think the leap year indicator is malfunctioning when in fact it works fine. The indicator is directly over the number (1/2/3/4) in June/July, and it is between numbers in January. It doesn't jump. It moves slowly/continuously.

Lastly, the movement on this watch is breathtaking. The Sax-0-Mat (that's a zero, not the letter "O, to signify the zero-reset feature -- second hand jumps to zero when you pull out the crown) movement, with the micro-rotor, is just incredible to look at. Lange discontinued the Sax-0-Mat movements because they're complex and time-consuming to repair. They are the favorite Lange movement of many.

I hope you continue to enjoy it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lange_perp_08JAN21_front_4.jpg (203.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg lange_perp_winder_gen1_front_empty.jpg (45.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg lange_perp_back_tilt3.jpg (104.1 KB, 81 views)
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 06:06 PM   #35
raycover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow. What a looker, those hands are great. Congratulations on the purchase friend.
raycover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 07:43 PM   #36
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Yes, you did very well. $30K USD is an excellent price for your Langematik Perpetual even with missing papers. When you said it came with the box, did you mean the winder? This watch originally came with the winder below (which was made by Scatola), except yours would be yellow brass (for the YG model). It's a giant box. The second and third generation Lange winders are smaller and not made by Scatola.

This is a watch that looks fantastic in yellow gold. Lange first introduced it in yellow gold and platinum (below). Shortly thereafter, they discontinued the YG model and replaced it with rose gold.

Yours is an early example. We know this because the early Langematik Perpetuals in YG and PT have the protruding rectangular pushbutton at the top left. This pusher is round and recessed on the later YG and PT ones, and all the RG ones. I very much prefer the older ones, like yours, because this pusher gets a lot of use, and it's much slower to actuate when it's recessed. Lange did a really poor job marketing the amazing functionality of this pusher. It doesn't just change the date. It advances every calendar function by 1 day each time you push it. So you initially have to set each function on the watch separately, but theoretically you won't have to do that again. You can just use that pusher to advance everything by 1 day if you don't wear the watch for several days/weeks (or even months).

Also, many people think the leap year indicator is malfunctioning when in fact it works fine. The indicator is directly over the number (1/2/3/4) in June/July, and it is between numbers in January. It doesn't jump. It moves slowly/continuously.

Lastly, the movement on this watch is breathtaking. The Sax-0-Mat (that's a zero, not the letter "O, to signify the zero-reset feature -- second hand jumps to zero when you pull out the crown) movement, with the micro-rotor, is just incredible to look at. Lange discontinued the Sax-0-Mat movements because they're complex and time-consuming to repair. They are the favorite Lange movement of many.

I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Thanks for the great info on my Lange. I will inquire also about the winder which was not included. Hopefully she still has it. I also prefer the protruding pusher to the recessed one on the later model.

The build quality of Lange is fantastic and i cant help but stare at the watch more often than necessary. Really beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 11:42 PM   #37
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

My goodness, what a piece! Phone any boutique and they will get you a strap sent. They can restore the case to new using laser welding when you send it for service, hopefully years down the line.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 12:59 AM   #38
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
That watch usually sells in the low to mid-fifties as yours is. WG complete in the low sixties. Your price is outright crazy good. Last retail on this now discontinued movement was close to 80K in WG, I believe.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 08:21 AM   #39
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
Thanks for the great info on my Lange. I will inquire also about the winder which was not included. Hopefully she still has it. I also prefer the protruding pusher to the recessed one on the later model.

The build quality of Lange is fantastic and i cant help but stare at the watch more often than necessary. Really beautiful.
I am very curious what kind of box it came with. If you want to post photos of the inner leather box and the outer gray cardboard box/sleeve, that'd be helpful, if you want to know more about the box. Lange had several box styles over the years.

I've never heard of a Langematik Perpetual being delivered new without the winder. The winder was the only box these originally came with. But many preowned Langematik Perpetuals do not come with their original winders because people don't want to ship the winders, which are very big and heavy. So preowned dealers who get these watches, without their original winders, often put them into other boxes. When that happens, the original papers typically won't fit neatly inside the box or the outer gray cardboard sleeve.
Old 29 January 2024, 01:17 PM   #40
kelaiem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I am very curious what kind of box it came with. If you want to post photos of the inner leather box and the outer gray cardboard box/sleeve, that'd be helpful, if you want to know more about the box. Lange had several box styles over the years.

I've never heard of a Langematik Perpetual being delivered new without the winder. The winder was the only box these originally came with. But many preowned Langematik Perpetuals do not come with their original winders because people don't want to ship the winders, which are very big and heavy. So preowned dealers who get these watches, without their original winders, often put them into other boxes. When that happens, the original papers typically won't fit neatly inside the box or the outer gray cardboard sleeve.

I see a winder for sale on eBay asking for 2K USD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kelaiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:21 AM   #41
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelaiem View Post
I see a winder for sale on eBay asking for 2K USD!
Yeah, one in Japan for $2K and one in the UK for $2.5K USD. Those are the second generation winders -- very different from the Gen 1 winders made by Scatola, IMHO.

Years ago I wrote a comparison piece and still have the pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lange_perp_winder_gen1gen2_boxes.jpg (25.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg lange_perp_winder_gen1gen2_front.jpg (71.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg lange_perp_winder_gen1gen2_rear.jpg (67.9 KB, 36 views)