The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 August 2023, 01:33 AM   #1
Afterglow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain FF
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Strap Question

I have a BP Fifty Fathoms 45mm. I really like the watch. It's a great timekeeper. My question pertains to changing straps, something I enjoy and which keeps me interested in any given watch.

First problem is the lugs are an odd 23mm. Strap selection is very limited which is what it is. Bigger problem is the lug bars. As you may know, they attach via a male/female hex screw system which is really difficult to manage.
Like threading a needle you can't see. And... I purchased BP strap mounting brace and hex tools. Waste of $300!

First time around I stripped the micro screw. Next go round, I visited BP boutique NYC, purchased a leather strap and had the boutique switch it out from the sailcloth. Turns out, the boutique "expert" scratched the hell out of the lugs (they 100% did and all four lugs in fact) and never bothered to actually anchor one side of the strap. I discovered this when one side of the lug bar fell loose. To add insult to injury, BP has the nerve to ask $100+ USD for replacement lug bars (2).

Just wondering if any of you BP 50F owners have had similar frustration and considered any work arounds? Spring bars? All input welcome and thanks in advance.
Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 02:08 AM   #2
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

Wow. Not good. I had the boutique in Las Vegas do mine and they did a great job. I’ve also found that the strap changing “jig” and tools work pretty well when I do the change myself. You do know that the changing setup has a couple of strap bars included in one of the little wells behind the tools, right?
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2023, 11:58 PM   #3
Afterglow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltiTudor View Post
Wow. Not good. I had the boutique in Las Vegas do mine and they did a great job. I’ve also found that the strap changing “jig” and tools work pretty well when I do the change myself. You do know that the changing setup has a couple of strap bars included in one of the little wells behind the tools, right?
They used to. Not with the current version.
Afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2023, 08:51 AM   #4
Uppersouth
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
I agree, very difficult. Hopefully the next gen will have a quick change strap option.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2023, 02:04 AM   #5
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
That's a horrible experience, sorry.

I bought 2 $7 screwdrivers off Amazon, rest my watch on a mousemat and carefully change my straps on that- so far so good. Some people apply a couple of small pieces s of scotch/painters tape either side of the screw hole to help avoid scratches, should a hex key slip.
Old 23 February 2024, 02:49 PM   #6
Beto737
"TRF" Member

I just stripped the hex lugs on my Fifty Fathoms! Love the watch, hate the stupid lugs. What a bad setup and design!

I ordered a bespoke Jean Rousseau rubber strap which turned out wonderful. But now I have to hope that one of the local watchmakers can fix my dilemma. Nope, no Blancpain boutique here in my city. Not even an AD.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 01:58 AM   #7
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

I've found the tools you can buy on Amazon don't quite fit and make it easy to strip the screws (learned this the hard way). Using the BP tools, there's no issue — easy to do.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 01:59 PM   #8
911cv
"TRF" Member

Where did you find BP tools? Do you have a part number?

I used hex tools found on Amazon. Someone posted them here and that’s how I found them. They seem very high quality.

When removing the hex screw, it takes a little finesse for the tool to set in the screw. The first few times I tried to remove the screw, it seems the tool sat on top of the screw head (and not in it) and just rotated the entire bar. It gave the feeling that it was stripped because it just kept turning and didn’t loosen. Eventually the tool ‘sat’ in the screw head and I was able to remove it. In subsequent removals, I’ve been wiggling the tool until it seats (you’ll feel it drop a very small amount into the screw head when this happens). Anyway, I hope this helps. I was very frustrated with it at first as well but it seems to be a non issue now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltiTudor View Post
I've found the tools you can buy on Amazon don't quite fit and make it easy to strip the screws (learned this the hard way). Using the BP tools, there's no issue — easy to do.
911cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2024, 06:46 PM   #9
TikTok
"TRF" Member

The most common tools are 0.9mm hex screwdrivers from Wera tools. Recommended on here a few times so bought myself a set. They work great.
My screws and bars were well and truly chewed up after the boutique changed the sailcloth strap for a longer version, this on a brand new watch. Had trouble getting one side to undo as the hex was completely rounded off.
A quick email and a replacement set were sent next day.