The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2024, 10:28 AM   #31
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I tend towards larger watches. My first Rolex was a Submariner--my petite wife now rocks it on an orange RubberB strap. She also wears a 41mm Tudor Ranger.
I am at the other extreme and would love to see a 42mm GMTII on a brushed Oyster glidelock bracelet. My daily is a 42mm Polar ExplorerII and my Sky-Dweller rocks my wrist on special occasions. When flying a 40mm BLRO seems too small at times but will always remain my favorite model with the aviation and military heritage it brings.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 10:41 AM   #32
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPS View Post
Hence the idea that, since other manufacturers and watch blogs have many features about smaller watches right now, that Rolex could get back to their old habits and make smaller tool watches again like they once did. And they don't have to charge less, but if they did, they would still make plenty of cash.

Kinda like necktie widths. Fashions change.

See https://www.luxurybazaar.com/grey-ma...tches-for-men/ for reference.
Article is about small dress watches. Very different than the GMT.

I just dont see it for the GMT.

If you want to bet a beer or two, lets do it?
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2024, 11:18 AM   #33
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Explorer 2 in 39mm would be very welcome.
Or 36mm - if Christopher Ward can do it, so can Rolex.
DDPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 02:43 AM   #34
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffs View Post
They wont do a smaller GMT. I mean, there is no smaller version of any of the other sports watches. No smaller Daytona, Sub or Explorer 2.

They would have to charge less for it, so what is the point?
Just another "Food for thought" on this: CW charges the same for the 39mm and 36mm models, and that didn't bother me one bit when I bought the 36mm.
Old 1 March 2024, 02:49 AM   #35
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
What if, at W&W this year, Rolex introduced a smaller Explorer or GMT Master?

Quote:
Just another "Food for thought" on this: CW charges the same for the 39mm and 36mm models, and that didn't bother me one bit when I bought the 36mm.

That’s a nice watch, that I’m seriously considering. Right know I’m selling, rather than buying, though. My 100+ collection is being systematically sold, via my eBay store, minus the Rolexes, of course.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:32 AM   #36
Mattk11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellmanski View Post
Integrated bracelet from Rolex?
I love the look of the old Oyster Quartz watches with the integrated bracelets. I wish they would have been made in 40mm, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I like them so well that I'm thinking of picking up a 36mm OQ for my wife of daughter.
Mattk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:40 AM   #37
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I don't think Rolex has made sports watches <40mm? Perhaps Tudor has done this with some 38-39mm offerings. Most of the Rolex watches <40mm have been dressier watches such as DD, DJ, OP, etc. I think it is unlikely Rolex will go <40mm for sports watches like GMT, Sub, SD, etc.

What's with the prominent homage watch references in this thread? Looks like it's a mashup of OP/Milgauss markers, colors, and some weird Explorer 2 orange hand GMT, depth rating, with a faux jubilee? No offense if this is a thing that I've missed. Is someone thinking Rolex would make this watch?
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:48 AM   #38
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
What's with the prominent homage watch references in this thread? Looks like it's a mashup of OP/Milgauss markers, colors, and some weird Explorer 2 orange hand GMT, depth rating, with a faux jubilee? No offense if this is a thing that I've missed. Is someone thinking Rolex would make this watch?
Your description is apt, for sure. But sure, Rolex made smaller tool watches back in the original heyday, like 38mm GMT Masters and 37mm Submariners.

My original post was a "what if" Rolex decided, like it has with Tudor, to join the trend toward more those more traditional sizes? Today's retro styles for men (which includes narrower neckties) are bringing back a certain classic proportion for men's accessories that Rolex seems a bit behind on, and it seems as possible as anything else that they may introduce items of this size in the Rolex line at W&W this year...especially since the smaller Tudors have proven something about the popularity of this trend.

If Rolex had a GMT Master or Explorer II in 36mm, I likely never would have bought my Christopher Ward.

Last edited by DDPS; 1 March 2024 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: Better writing
Old 1 March 2024, 03:52 AM   #39
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your description is apt, for sure.

My original post was a "what if" Rolex decided, like it has with Tudor, to join the trend toward more traditional (old school) sizing for men? (Like 38mm GMT Masters and 37mm Submariners.) Today's retro styles for men (which includes narrower neckties) are bringing back a certain classic proportion for men's accessories that Rolex seems a bit behind on, and it seems as possible as anything else that they may introduce items of this size in the Rolex line at W&W this year...especially since the smaller Tudors have proven something about the popularity of this trend.

If Rolex had a GMT Master or Explorer II in 36mm, I likely never would have bought my Christopher Ward.
Thanks for this! I can appreciate an appetite for smaller watches. Long ago, I bought my wife her birth year DJ 1601 which is a 36mm and quite vintage...I wear it now and again and like it.

I think looking at the big picture of Rolex watches, they are trending towards larger sizes with the sports watches. Case in point - the newest Submariners in 41mm and the Explorer II in 42mm, the SD43mm...I think it's less likely you'll see these coming in smaller sizes. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:56 AM   #40
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for this! I can appreciate an appetite for smaller watches. Long ago, I bought my wife her birth year DJ 1601 which is a 36mm and quite vintage...I wear it now and again and like it.

I think looking at the big picture of Rolex watches, they are trending towards larger sizes with the sports watches. Case in point - the newest Submariners in 41mm and the Explorer II in 42mm, the SD43mm...I think it's less likely you'll see these coming in smaller sizes. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
If I can clarify my point...indeed, Rolex has been trending large for a very long time now. But they seem to be out of step with trends are now pointing in the other direction, and one thing Rolex could surprise us with this year (as it did with the Tudor 37mm Black Bay 54) is a trend that points this way.
Old 1 March 2024, 03:57 AM   #41
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
They need some 34 mm options other than OP. YM , air king, DJ etc
Old 1 March 2024, 04:01 AM   #42
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
They need some 34 mm options other than OP. YM , air king, DJ etc
Yes, for sure. FWIW, I tend to think of those as the true entry to ladies' sizes, but many classic men's watches were of that size as well.
Old 1 March 2024, 04:56 AM   #43
KatGirl

What if, at W&amp;W this year, Rolex introduced a smaller Explorer or GMT Master?

Quote:
I love my Milgauss, but you know what I love as well? Watches that run 36-38mm. This new 36mm beauty makes me very happy. I would happily buy a Rolex GMT Master or Explorer II that was this size, but they don't make one. So I have this, which is a great consolation prize. Does Rolex have the guts to back to classic-sized men's watches that don't look like wall clocks on average to small wrists? Remember, the 36mm OP is the classic size for men of all ages.

Being a female, who likes what are traditionally men’s watches, I would love a 37 mm GMT Pepsi, or Sub. But, I’m not your typical Rolex buyer. If anyone has noticed, all my watches are 36 mm. I think they look good on me. I like the wrist presence, on my 6.5 inch wrist. If I had won that Daytona Giveaway, I’d wear it proudly, as it’s not huge. When I saw this thread title, I thought a female must have started it. I don’t think Rolex will do what you’d like, though they did rerelease the Explorer 36. It just depends on current fashion trends. Sizes have been trending downwards, so we’ll see. I’d love a smaller Sub date, that was better suited for me, than the 12 series.

Kat

Old 1 March 2024, 05:12 AM   #44
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
I don't think Rolex has made sports watches &lt;40mm? Perhaps Tudor has done this with some 38-39mm offerings. Most of the Rolex watches &lt;40mm have been dressier watches such as DD, DJ, OP, etc. I think it is unlikely Rolex will go &lt;40mm for sports watches like GMT, Sub, SD, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 05:16 AM   #45
KatGirl

What if, at W&amp;W this year, Rolex introduced a smaller Explorer or GMT Master?

Quote:
Yes, for sure. FWIW, I tend to think of those as the true entry to ladies' sizes, but many classic men's watches were of that size as well.

Quoted wrong post. Apologies!

Kat

Old 1 March 2024, 05:21 AM   #46
DDPS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
For the ladies? What models are you thinking about, that would be desirable in 34 mm, besides what’s already offered?

Kat

I was talking about 34mm as the overall largest customary boundary size for ladies watches in general - not that Rolex needs new watches for ladies in those sizes. I think Rolex tends to serve ladies quite satisfactorily these days, especially ladies who want either traditional ladies' non-tool watches or who want to sport larger tool-size watches.

What Rolex currently underserves is the man who wishes to wear the tool watch sizes of yesteryear (36/37/38mm) that are becoming more popular outside of Rolex-land. These would probably do double-duty to sell to women as well.

Last edited by DDPS; 1 March 2024 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: Added a sentence at the end.
Old 1 March 2024, 05:22 AM   #47
KatGirl

Quote:
I don't think Rolex has made sports watches &lt;40mm? Perhaps Tudor has done this with some 38-39mm offerings. Most of the Rolex watches &lt;40mm have been dressier watches such as DD, DJ, OP, etc. I think it is unlikely Rolex will go &lt;40mm for sports watches like GMT, Sub, SD, etc.

I actually almost bought the CW Explorer ll homage, but thought it was too much money, for what it is. I like it, though. The current model Rolex Explorer II is too large, for me.

Old 1 March 2024, 05:26 AM   #48
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
How is the fit and finish of those CW watches? I've been eyeing one of their models for the purple dial but I'm just not sure...
I bought the titanium twelve with COSC movement. I am blown away by the fit and finish of this watch. The movement specs are tighter than any of my three rolexes.

Dial up. 3.0
Crown Down -1.3
6 up 0.6
Dial down 1.1
Crown Up -0.6

Average 0.57
Delta 4.3
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 05:29 AM   #49
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I like when they make something for everyone. I think it's more likely Rolex expands the 37mm Yacht Master options. I don't see the GMT getting smaller.
Old 1 March 2024, 12:49 PM   #50
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Hoping for 42mm GMT
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 01:50 PM   #51
JRique
"TRF" Member

I can see this coming, this year, Tudor BB54 was a HUGE success. Quiet luxury is trending, a big bling Rolex screams new money, not very classy, 37mm black no date sub would be perfect.
JRique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 02:14 PM   #52
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRique View Post
I can see this coming, this year, Tudor BB54 was a HUGE success. Quiet luxury is trending, a big bling Rolex screams new money, not very classy, 37mm black no date sub would be perfect.
What an absolutely dumb ass comment.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 02:24 PM   #53
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I can’t say what Rolex will release this year. I don’t know and neither does anyone else.

But I can say for sure they are not releasing a 37mm Submariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 04:44 PM   #54
omar10213245

Watch: 126515LN (sundust)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
I bought the titanium twelve with COSC movement. I am blown away by the fit and finish of this watch. The movement specs are tighter than any of my three rolexes.

Dial up. 3.0
Crown Down -1.3
6 up 0.6
Dial down 1.1
Crown Up -0.6

Average 0.57
Delta 4.3
i did too, got mine back in November. I got the titanium with the blue fume dial, it's pretty amazing, definitely excellent value as far as quality for the price is concerned. ol' chris ward is doing some work these days!
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote