The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 March 2024, 04:53 AM   #1
helicopterpilot91
"TRF" Member

IWC Big Pilot 43 Top Gun vs. Breitling Avenger 44 Night Mission

I have always wanted a ceramic watch and had been looking at IWC. BP 43 seems very nice but had been waiting for them to upgrade the movement like they have with the Mark. While waiting, Breitling released their first ceramic watch which is appealing as well. Which would you pick between the two and why? Or should I consider a ceramic from Omega? I am familiar with Breitling and their warranty and customer care, but completely unfamiliar with IWC and Omega. Any input is welcomed!Thanks!
helicopterpilot91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2024, 07:13 AM   #2
tsekh
"TRF" Member

What is it in the movement that you are waiting for IWC to upgrade? I have both BP43 and Mark XX, and the BP43 movement runs every as well as the movement in the Mark XX, if not better.

The Mark XX got upgraded to an in-house IWC movement when it came out and replaced the Mark XVIII. The BP43 already has an in-house IWC movement to begin with. Yes, the Mark XX has 120 hours power reserve vs the 60 hours in the BP43. But 60 hours is more than enough (i.e., if you stop wearing it over the weekend and pick it back up on Monday it will still be running).

The BP43 is fairly new. I highly doubt that IWC will release a new version of it with an upgraded movement anytime soon. Even then, as typical with IWC, it will first release a traditional steel version, and then in other case materials slowly in the years that follow.

IWC's warranty and customer care are pretty good. All IWC watches come with 8 years of warranty. I bought my Mark XX soon after it was released. There was some issue with the movement about 2 months later (running -20 seconds per day). I contacted IWC, they shipped me a box to ship the watch back to them for warranty service. The repair was done very quickly, maybe a little bit over a week, and then the watch has been running perfectly since then (more than a year).

Frankly, I'd just go with what appeal to you -- now. There is always something newer and better around the corner. If you like the Breitling, go with the Breitling. If you want the IWC, go get the IWC. Don't get the Breitling because you like the IWC but think that the IWC may upgrade the movement in a few of years.
tsekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:01 AM   #3
helicopterpilot91
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the insight. I was somewhat assuming they would increase the power reserve and/or add a display case back. Are your watches the steel or ceramic versions? How do you like the two that you have?
helicopterpilot91 is offline   Reply With Quote