The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2024, 11:59 PM   #31
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
That’s because the PM models are ridiculously overpriced to begin with, far above the gold value
Not to mention the price you pay for a stainless steel watch.
100 grams of stainless steel is about 1 dollar, value for money ?
Old 26 March 2024, 06:58 AM   #32
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
As they say: If you want a million dollar watch investment, start with two million.

There are plenty of Rolex used watches selling for a lot less than the current new models are.
Old 27 March 2024, 12:35 PM   #33
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Fair comments guys.

Given I have the wonga and am not talking "investment" I think I'll pull thr trigger and just add it into the rotation.

These gold watches are defo easier to get yer hands on. This Daytona is a walk in moment. My rose olive DD took a few months.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 10:13 PM   #34
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
Fair comments guys.

Given I have the wonga and am not talking "investment" I think I'll pull thr trigger and just add it into the rotation.

These gold watches are defo easier to get yer hands on. This Daytona is a walk in moment. My rose olive DD took a few months.

There ya go - roll on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 10:32 PM   #35
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Gold oysterflex Daytona black dial is not rare…. It will drop under retail like most everything you have
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 11:40 PM   #36
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Look at used 2017 pricing, because that’s where most of the references are heading. Fine by me, the hype over the past few years has taken a lot of the fun out of it.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 11:58 PM   #37
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
As they say: If you want a million dollar watch investment, start with two million.

There are plenty of Rolex used watches selling for a lot less than the current new models are.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 12:02 AM   #38
Ramathorn
Banned

Given the headache you mentioned that came with the DD40 coming so soon, probably not the best idea to acquire the Daytona. You will certainly lose if you choose to part with the Daytona, the question is how much. The market is coming down for PM references.

Looking at your previous threads for the past six months~, it might be best to sit on your hands as it seems you may be tad bit indecisive at the moment.
Ramathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 12:30 AM   #39
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
some do and some don't, depend on the models
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 12:47 AM   #40
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

This

Watches are not investments. There are so many investment vehicles that provide far superior risk adjusted returns.

Buy what you want when you can afford it. But don’t for a second think your lustful purchase is an astute investment.
Old 28 March 2024, 01:00 AM   #41
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
I purchased a handful of Breitling pieces in the early 2K's including a B1, B50 and SOH2 and lost my arse on all of them when I ultimately sold them. Purchased my first Rolex in 2019, an SD43 because I had always lusted after a Rolex. Over the past 5 years I have purchased 7 or so hot models from AD's and sold all but the SD43 and a SS SkyD Blue dial. In the end I am into these two watches for nothing and recouped my losses on the Breitling stuff I started with. I am not sure we will ever see the craziness we have seen over the past 8 years or so again but it has been a fun, zero cost hobby for me over the past 20 years or so. I leveraged the situation to get the two watches I ultimately wanted as a solid 2 piece collection and had some fun along the way. It is just jewelry BTW, not really a reliable investment vehicle.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 01:03 AM   #42
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

I purchased my Blue DJ 41 at the AD for $10,300. While current market seems to stand at $13-14K, at some point I believe it will fall to about $9k which all things considered would be a decent recoupment for a 2 or 3 year old watch.

At the end of the day, most Rolexes are mass produced item that can last for decades. The market is bound to come back to reality for many of the pieces.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 02:25 AM   #43
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Remember what happened after 2008-9? I remember walking into watch shops and they had 5-6-7 used subs all lined up that desperate RE agents had to unload - it WILL happen again, as others have said Rolex are dime a dozen made in the millions - we're not talking a holy trinity watch whose owners have millions and millions of reserves and wont sell... im thinking 2016-17 prices eventually on used.
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 02:38 AM   #44
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Yes I can. 2016 with 90% less grey market sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:19 AM   #45
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Most watches will fall to or below MSRP in time to come, except for the selected few pieces . Namely stainless steel GMT, Daytona and Skydweller blue/green.
When there is no profit flipping watches, we come back to the reality that a $10k purchase is actually a significant amount for the general population.
Mathematoxic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:29 AM   #46
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Personally, I hate all price discussions (even though I just joined one), so I really hope every Rolex owned by myself - and every member herein, tank so that our watches are worth max. 50% of MSRP. Even less would be perfect. That would inject true enthusiasm once again into this hobby.

If a Rolex is "worth" 200%, 100% or 50% of the MSRP on the second hand market has no significance for true watch enthusiasts.

I'm so tired of people buying watches and taking about value, bla, bla, bla.

If any Rolex was de facto "worthless" in monetary value, the watch hobby would thrive - for the right reasons. Imagine this:

Case A: "Oh. Nice Submariner. Tell me about the calibre and it's history"
Case B: "I see you have the Zenith-Daytona. How many parts did Rolex actually remove to make it even more relibale and step it down from 36.000bph to 28.800bph?"

Those days are probably gone forever.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:54 AM   #47
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
A ton of stuff will be below retail. Where I'm from tax is 13% too, so retail plus tax. TONS of stuff will be there.
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote