The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2024, 04:25 AM   #1
RolexDan82
"TRF" Member

Sky-Dweller

This might actually be more of a general watch question. But I tried on an Everose Skydweller. I am a big guy, but I thought it was a little uncomfortable for my taste. However, it was beautiful. But the watch has a date function, annual calendar, and a dual time zone function. Does that make it a “grand” complications watch because it has 3 complications?

I noticed there is a JLC reverse that has a day-date, two time zones, and a moonphase, but they do not refer to it as a ‘grand” complications watch. I probably do not understand what is meant by a grand complications watch and would like someone to enlighten me. Thanks!
RolexDan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:45 AM   #2
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

For example, Audemars Piguet defines a grande complication watch as one that must include a minute repeater, a split-seconds chronograph, and a perpetual calendar. This is based on the tradition of including complications from three families: timing, chiming, and calendars.
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 04:55 AM   #3
RolexDan82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyseadweller View Post
For example, Audemars Piguet defines a grande complication watch as one that must include a minute repeater, a split-seconds chronograph, and a perpetual calendar. This is based on the tradition of including complications from three families: timing, chiming, and calendars.
Thank you, that makes more sense to me!
RolexDan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:21 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Actually, this watch has only one complication, the Annual Calendar (although the sweep seconds hand is technically a complication.) In the Patek world, this would not be called a Grand Complication, just a Complication. The perpetual calendar is a Grand Comp in the Patek world.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 09:32 AM   #5
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDan82 View Post
This might actually be more of a general watch question. But I tried on an Everose Skydweller. I am a big guy, but I thought it was a little uncomfortable for my taste. However, it was beautiful. But the watch has a date function, annual calendar, and a dual time zone function. Does that make it a “grand” complications watch because it has 3 complications?

I noticed there is a JLC reverse that has a day-date, two time zones, and a moonphase, but they do not refer to it as a ‘grand” complications watch. I probably do not understand what is meant by a grand complications watch and would like someone to enlighten me. Thanks!

How was it uncomfortable?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 11:48 AM   #6
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

It’s big! ( what she said….lmao. …..sorry running joke)

But really it is heavy
Dawgprint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 01:19 PM   #7
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tonas
The SkyD is nothing in special in the comfort dept esp when compared to Daytonas, GMTs, etc BUT on the wrist it’s stellar!!!! I had the SS blue and now have a YG on leather strap.
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 01:39 PM   #8
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
It’s big! ( what she said….lmao. …..sorry running joke)

But really it is heavy
You get used to the weight.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 01:46 PM   #9
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

The Sky-D is beefy and top heavy. If you have a big wrist it should work but maybe try it on the oyster bracelet as it balances the weight better. Perhaps you tried it on jubilee?

Looks like your grande comp question has already been answered….it isn’t one.

Edit: I see you tried the everose so that is the oyster bracelet…it’s just the weight of the gold then that you’d need to get used to..but the watch is too thick imo.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 11:08 PM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a big, heavy watch. I wouldn't be too worried, though, about the lack of comfort when trying it on. Unfitted and unsized to your wrist, all that weight is most likely not going to feel good.

The trick, however, is how it's going to feel once it's been fitted and sized properly. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to buy it to find out.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 11:26 PM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

The trick, however, is how it's going to feel once it's been fitted and sized properly. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to buy it to find out.
Ain’t that the truth
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 11:36 PM   #12
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's a big, heavy watch. I wouldn't be too worried, though, about the lack of comfort when trying it on. Unfitted and unsized to your wrist, all that weight is most likely not going to feel good.

Just go to a second hand dealer. They all have hundreds of each watch 😂 have it sized decide you don’t want to buy it :)
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 01:43 AM   #13
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
See https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=939602

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:07 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Actually, this watch has only one complication, the Annual Calendar (although the sweep seconds hand is technically a complication.) In the Patek world, this would not be called a Grand Complication, just a Complication. The perpetual calendar is a Grand Comp in the Patek world.
Yes a grand comp would be a PC not an AC.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 07:26 AM   #15
lencap
"TRF" Member

I love everything about the Sky Dweller, but when I tried it on the thickness was hard to ignore.

I bought a Tudor Black Bay from an AD when they first came out, as I was drawn to "the look". After having it properly sized, I found myself fighting with it. The thickness was the issue, along with a bracelet with far less adjustability than the Rolex offerings. I sold it, and bought the BB58, which worked much better. Despite the smaller case size, the bracelet again let me down, and I added a non factory half link to get it to sit better on the wrist.

The lesson I learned is that unless the watch case feels comfortable on the wrist, eventually I tire of the watch and move on. The Sky Dweller is indeed a heavy watch with a thick case, BUT the saving grace is an adjustable bracelet - either Jubilee or Oyster. Despite my having a 7" wrist and the thick case, the watch can be made to fit far more comfortably than the raw dimensions suggest. I've told myself that it's too big, and not for me, but I keep thinking about it, and unless the recurring interest falls away, I may stop resisting and get one. Personally, despite the differences of opinion on the SD, I think it's a spectacular watch, and my personal Rolex favorite model.

Try it out, if you like, and you may be surprised that the combination of the unique features, amazingly creative mechanism, and the quality of construction makes it a keeper.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 10:35 AM   #16
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

I tried on the SS mint green dial version a few days ago. It is beautiful. If it were for sale and not exhibition, I would have bought it. Period. I'm not a big guy and I still thought it was comfortable enough even though it wasn't sized. Would be better after sized properly. Would buy this one or the blue instantly as MSRP.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote