The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2024, 06:01 AM   #1
Peej
"TRF" Member

Left handers and the destro debate

Hey TRF, been on the prowl for a VTNR since its inception, but still no luck. I like destro pieces for a right wrist, and like the idea of things that are made to serve a purpose. I sometimes reference the article Jake’s Rolex World posted a while back on destro pieces. (https://www.rolexmagazine.com/search...Destro%20Rolex). It’s a good read.

Would like to hear and see what other left handers in the forum think of destro pieces, and what you have in your collection. Does anyone have any of the rare references referenced in the article above or something different from Rolex? Anyone ever customized a Rolex to be a lefty?
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 07:13 AM   #2
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Magazine was a great read, cheers .. I always wear any watch on the left, I got the VTNR because of the pure quirkiness to it, love the colours on it, and I also like the fact the crown doesn’t dig into my wrist/hand .. is it awkward to set and wind, yes it takes some getting used to, also worn it upside down a few times ..

Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 07:20 AM   #3
TimeKeepsOnTicking
"TRF" Member

Love my VTNR and it gets the most time on the wrist (right wrist), than my other pieces. Use Jubilee bracelet the majority of the time but also have an Oyster - Sub and Datejust are on Oyster so it provides additional variety.

Old 17 June 2024, 07:29 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It doesn't make any difference to me where the crown or date window is. I wear watches on my right wrist. I think the date position on the VTNR looks all wrong but variety is better than no variety. Each to our own.

My only watch with the crown on the left is a Monaro Calibre 11 which has the date positioned at 6. The position of the crown signifies that it's a Calibre 11 (or more accurately its modern iteration) and this is a built in "cool" factor - for those who want that sort of thing. I'm not really into that but I'll always make an exception for Steve. I have a couple with the crown at 4.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:18 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I’m right handed (always wear watch on left wrist) and had the Tudor Pelagos LHD for a while few years back. It was nice with the date window at 3 and crown at 9. Don’t like at all the VTNR with the crown and date window at 9 :banghead)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 09:14 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Dad's a lefty, so gifted it to him ❤️

batman_robin.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 09:31 AM   #7
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I met Jake at a Panerai event. What a nice young man!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 11:49 AM   #8
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

I'm a lefty and always wear watches on my right wrist. The VTNR isn't appealing to me. The crown and date positions don't matter.

I do have one watch with the crown on the left. It's an Omega cal. 1300 "Pupitre" from the early 1970s, the first Swiss watch with a quartz movement (Beta 21 movement). The crown is on the left as a symbolic gesture, to remind the wearer that the crown can be in this odd place because it'll never need to be wound.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 01:16 PM   #9
Peej
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I'm a lefty and always wear watches on my right wrist. The VTNR isn't appealing to me. The crown and date positions don't matter.

I do have one watch with the crown on the left. It's an Omega cal. 1300 "Pupitre" from the early 1970s, the first Swiss watch with a quartz movement (Beta 21 movement). The crown is on the left as a symbolic gesture, to remind the wearer that the crown can be in this odd place because it'll never need to be wound.
What an interesting piece. I’ve never come across one of these. Always a fan of the beta 21. Have wanted a Texano for the novelty and history. Thanks for sharing!
Old 17 June 2024, 02:41 PM   #10
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Bought the lefty Sinn reference ( EZM3) years back, and could not get used to it, no matter which wrist I tried, so I flipped it pretty quickly. I am a true lefty,who wears her watch on the left wrist, as they were designed to be worn. I am used to living in a right handed world.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 06:06 PM   #11
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

I'm right-handed but have to wear on my right wrist due to an old injury to my left.

I was gobsmacked when the VTNR released, and was lucky enough to get one around 3 months after W&W. It's one of my favourite watches, it feels like it's made for me.

I don't own any other Destro watches, i feel like I should. Any other recommendations other than a Pelagos?

Oh and OP - yes I have wondered about modifying maybe my Datejust or my Submariner to be a Destro, not sure how I'd even start to do that but yeh i was thinking about it the other day - would be interested to know if anyone has actually done that
Old 17 June 2024, 06:16 PM   #12
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post

Looks in excellent condition.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2024, 08:19 PM   #13
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Good article.
I'm a fan of destro models but always wear my watches on my left wrist.
Some of my favorite destros are the VTNR, PAM 217 and Pelagos LHD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 02:03 AM   #14
Peej
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I'm right-handed but have to wear on my right wrist due to an old injury to my left.

I was gobsmacked when the VTNR released, and was lucky enough to get one around 3 months after W&W. It's one of my favourite watches, it feels like it's made for me.

I don't own any other Destro watches, i feel like I should. Any other recommendations other than a Pelagos?

Oh and OP - yes I have wondered about modifying maybe my Datejust or my Submariner to be a Destro, not sure how I'd even start to do that but yeh i was thinking about it the other day - would be interested to know if anyone has actually done that
Panerai made a few destros that are still available on the aftermarket. CWC makes a cool affordable diver. I consider some of the old Heuer chronos to fall close to this category (the PVD Monza is a sleeper). I like that the pushers are on the left on a PP Travel Time. There are also some nice Vintage PP or APs, maybe some other brands, that use a hidden crown on some of the dressier watches. Always a clean look without a crown. I do like when brands like Urwerk or DeBethune put the crown at 12 o clock. It makes it easily wearable on either wrist. Also, a large watch, but the Ploprof from Omega has the crown on the left.

Hope this helps. There are a few others I’m blanking on though.
Old 18 June 2024, 03:14 AM   #15
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Wear my VTNR on my left wrist. I'm left handed but I just can't get used to how goofy if feels on the right side. My wrist awareness of my right side is inferior as well. I can change my oil with my watch on my left and not even put a scratch on it. I can't even walk through my house with a watch on my right without banging the shit out of if.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 03:36 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I always enjoy Jake’s articles, thanks for posting
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote