The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2023, 11:04 PM   #31
TBC123
"TRF" Member

Jodi from 'one more watch' on YouTube covered this in his review of the Rootbeer. He blamed poor QC and I agree. It shouldnt happen and people would be quick to jump on it if it was on a budget Seiko.
TBC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:33 PM   #32
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
Funny that you say that. So it ended up bothering me so much that I took it to my local rolex service center to get the dial realigned. All that ended up happening was the dial being slightly more aligned and the watch maker leaving a huge gouge on one of the lugs. Again I ended up selling the watch so it’s not a big deal now. But a good lesson to learn. Make sure to check the alignment before buying a watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know you sold it but I would've definitely preferred an aligned dial and a gouged lug vs. a misaligned dial and undamaged lugs.

One situation represents poor QC and the other represents (effectively) wear and tear...I'll take wear and tear on a properly assembled good everytime. Gouge shouldn't have happened, period, but such is life with careless people out there.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:43 PM   #33
slide13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
I know you sold it but I would've definitely preferred an aligned dial and a gouged lug vs. a misaligned dial and undamaged lugs.

One situation represents poor QC and the other represents (effectively) wear and tear...I'll take wear and tear on a properly assembled good everytime. Gouge shouldn't have happened, period, but such is life with careless people out there.
Really? I would definitely prefer a slight misalignment due to tolerance stack that can always be fixed during service when the movement needs it to permanent case damage.

I've had a few Rolex models, I think of the 5 or so modern references I've had 2 were what I'd consider perfect and 3 were off slightly one way or another (though not to the extent of that prevoius photo). It really doesn't bother me, in part because I understand how it happens and what the cause is and how it's an easy fix during service.

My current 126610 is pretty close but it's not perfectly aligned, dial is ever so slighted shifted counter clockwise. Of all the possible imperfections on a watch this one bothers me the least since it's an easy correction next time the watch needs to be opened up. Plus it's just not something you notice in regular use. Only if you're looking for it do you ever see it.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:58 PM   #34
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

How does everything look when the second hand is hacked at 12? That gives the whole alignment situation another reference.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 12:05 AM   #35
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
Really? I would definitely prefer a slight misalignment due to tolerance stack that can always be fixed during service when the movement needs it to permanent case damage.

I've had a few Rolex models, I think of the 5 or so modern references I've had 2 were what I'd consider perfect and 3 were off slightly one way or another (though not to the extent of that prevoius photo). It really doesn't bother me, in part because I understand how it happens and what the cause is and how it's an easy fix during service.

My current 126610 is pretty close but it's not perfectly aligned, dial is ever so slighted shifted counter clockwise. Of all the possible imperfections on a watch this one bothers me the least since it's an easy correction next time the watch needs to be opened up. Plus it's just not something you notice in regular use. Only if you're looking for it do you ever see it.
I would say what the other poster showed in terms of misalignment was probably outside of any tolerance stack up and really just flat out poor QC.

I acknowledge these are mass produced and if it were misaligned by just a touch then it wouldn't bother me, but what the other poster showed? I'll take the RSC induced lug gouge every time. As you said, it's an easy fix to align, but look what happened to the other poster...tried to get it aligned at the RSC and still came out with damaged lugs. Unfortunate and unacceptable for sure.

Neither situation is ideal, but I'll take the gouged lugs if I have no choice but to pick one or the other. The misaligned dial will bother me forever knowing it could/should/can be fixed and I wouldn't rest until trying to get it dealt with. But gouged lug? That's life and bound to happen during daily wear regardless.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:37 AM   #36
BobbyB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

This is my new sub 41. Please excuse the weird angle cause I had to use a fish eye lense.

It’s the no dates that are prone to this alignment problem. Honestly not worth the stress.

BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:47 AM   #37
babyccino
"TRF" Member

Sorry to bring back old thread

Recently purchased a 126519LN Ghost from Japan reseller in Nakano broadway (time walker watch) as a full set minus the white swing tag.

We later on got home to realise the laser etched crown is sitting in the 7 o clock position unlike other Rolex I got at 6 o clock. Should this be a red flag? The watch itself seems ok where the weight feels and other details are impeccable.

Thanks guys.
babyccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:28 AM   #38
Jezz0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
There is a little play when installing the dial.
Quite often it appears to be off centre a little. Doesn’t matter, watch works just as good.
+1
Jezz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 02:22 PM   #39
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyccino View Post
Sorry to bring back old thread

Recently purchased a 126519LN Ghost from Japan reseller in Nakano broadway (time walker watch) as a full set minus the white swing tag.

We later on got home to realise the laser etched crown is sitting in the 7 o clock position unlike other Rolex I got at 6 o clock. Should this be a red flag? The watch itself seems ok where the weight feels and other details are impeccable.

Thanks guys.

I’m no expert on LEC. But that’s far off. Doubt it was out on that way on brand new 2024 watch. All mine are at 6. Not cool

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 03:17 PM   #40
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
I’m no expert on LEC. But that’s far off. Doubt it was out on that way on brand new 2024 watch. All mine are at 6. Not cool

I’d be concerned. None of mine are exactly at 6:00, but very close.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 03:26 PM   #41
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
That's correct the Rolex Rolex branding on the rehaut is on the case so cannot move.The dial has a very very very very tiny amount of lateral movement when attached to the movement top plate but we are talking about less than 1mm.And correct not a issue only to those that have perhaps the deadly {LM} loupe mania, or the {RAPS} Rolex alignment point syndrome.
A very, very, very very tiny amount is about less than 1mm?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:41 PM   #42
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I always check mine and the position of the LEC just for fun when I buy them. All my rehauts and dials align perfectly, so I guess none of them are extra valuable oddities. Damn!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 05:22 PM   #43
billydgates
"TRF" Member

According to the watchmaker, the new 41 model has undergone changes to its dial feet or related components, which complicates adjustments. Despite this, I've observed numerous instances where alignments are off, including issues with the date not being centered within the cyclops or the cyclops itself appearing misaligned. It's a noticeable trend, although the exact cause remains unclear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
billydgates is offline   Reply With Quote