The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2024, 10:01 PM   #31
Tritto
"TRF" Member

If only Rolex made a 38mm Explorer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tritto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 10:08 PM   #32
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
If only Rolex made a 38mm Explorer...

I do agree.. a 37.5mm Explorer would be perfect. Hah
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:00 AM   #33
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I recently went through this dilemma and chose…….. neither. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

I preferred the looks of the 36 on the watch tray compared to the 40, but on the wrist it felt too small and I didn’t like the thin but thick clasp. The 40’s clasp felt better on the wrist, but the large dial felt too large for me.

In the end, what I want is an Explorer sized between the two existing models with the 40’s clasp.

Good luck with your choice!
^This. Exactly my experience as well. It's a bit frustrating. A (true) 37mm Explorer would be ideal.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:22 AM   #34
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Sure! Here you go.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I honestly like them both. I'll need to go back and do another side by side.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:32 AM   #35
Moonwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure! Here you go.

The 36 looks much better on that wrist. And it looks much better off the wrist too IMO.
Old 25 June 2024, 12:41 AM   #36
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
I’m really considering the 36 explorer 1 and went and tried it on today. It felt a little bit smaller than I realized in person but I feel like the pictures make it look good.

When I tried it against the Air King which was available as a proxy for the 40 Exp1 the decision became even harder.

My daily right now is a BLNR so my thought is the 36 would be a good compliment to it.
There is a definite and noticeable size difference between the BLNR and the Exp36, so a lot would depend on how easy you find it to swap between watches of different sizes. Some people have no problem with it: others struggle and it can take some time for them to get used to a different size watch.

I tend to fall into the latter group so the vast majority my watches these days are 39-41mm. I have 7.75" wrists and I don't own anything below 39mm, and only a few outliers in the 43-44mm range these days.

At the end of the day you have to go with your gut, because no amount of validation from a bunch of random folks on the internet based on wrist shots that invariable foreshorten the image, will really change your mind.
Old 25 June 2024, 12:59 AM   #37
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

Well, as someone who is a bit of a bigger guy, with an almost 8" wrist & having just picked up a 36mm 124270 a couple of months ago I can say that the 36mm is a great little watch.

I at 1st debated back & forth, because a BLNR was my (mostly) daily & at first the 36 felt really small. Once I took the leap & purchased it, it feels just right & I have to make an effort to grab a different watch because the Explorer wears so well.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:02 AM   #38
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha! It’s all good. A few years ago I would have agreed. After all, my daily was a DJ 36. But since then, I’ve put on some weight and started wearing a 42 SMP which is a big chunk of metal so I got used to having something a little bigger on.

I appreciate you!
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:27 AM   #39
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I know the 36 looks small comparted to modern sports watches but its classic and looks amazing. alot of people say its super comfortable.
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:09 AM   #40
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
Old 25 June 2024, 07:27 AM   #41
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I like 36. I have large wrists at 8” and still pull out my old 16234 36 DJ from time to time. Just a classic look.

Chaucer1787 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:35 AM   #42
aboutime
"TRF" Member

36mm explorer I is the classic form. But ultimately it depends on how you feel wearing it.
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:55 AM   #43
Puffy412
"TRF" Member

Find a 214270 and your dilemma will be solved. The 39 is pretty damn strong,
Plus I prefer the dial layout.
Puffy412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:31 AM   #44
Lininq
"TRF" Member

Between an Exp 36 or 40

Both have their unique advantages, it all depends on your style and the occasion.
Lininq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:38 AM   #45
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
honestly, if you can get a 39mm in good condition and go grey, I think it's the sweet spot.
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:40 AM   #46
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Yes 36mm is the classic size, but when I tried on the 36mm Explorer, it felt fine on the wrist. I can see it being comfortable, but it just looked... dainty. Even smaller than the 36mm datejust or OP, and that's because I think it technically is smaller, but also the 19mm bracelet only adds to that as well.

I don't have a large wrist (6.5") and I'm no stranger to small watches, I love my vintage Omegas at 34mm and 35mm, and the last time I tried on watches, the Cartier Tank large size (which is small) felt and looked fantastic. But I can't do the Explorer, and I was on the waitlist for a year and half and I decided to not get it.

The new Datejust however, (I go back and forth on my thoughts) does work, indeed. I think it's the 20mm lug width that makes the difference, well and I recently tried the silver dial DJ so there's that visual trick that a lighter dial watch wears larger. I also prefer the Jubilee to the Oyster, so there's that too.

As I mentioned above, I think a true size 37mm Explorer would be perfect (for me). I sometimes wear my 38mm Hamilton Khaki Mechanical (in fact it's whats on my wrist right now) and it's definitely not too big, but I actually think it could be 1mm smaller, that's my justification for my thinking a 37mm Explorer would be ideal... If only.
Old 26 June 2024, 12:44 AM   #47
Gtawest
"TRF" Member

6.75” wrist here. I had been wearing a 38.5mm Sinn 556 and when I first tried the new 36mm Explorer, the size and tapered bracelet did feel small.

Fast forward two years and the Explorer has become my daily and probably exit watch, and the tapered bracelet now feels perfect. I still own the Sinn but it now feels a little oversized, and I think it is the small size that makes the 36mm Explorer unique.
Gtawest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 01:06 AM   #48
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes 36mm is the classic size, but when I tried on the 36mm Explorer, it felt fine on the wrist. I can see it being comfortable, but it just looked... dainty. Even smaller than the 36mm datejust or OP, and that's because I think it technically is smaller, but also the 19mm bracelet only adds to that as well.

I don't have a large wrist (6.5") and I'm no stranger to small watches, I love my vintage Omegas at 34mm and 35mm, and the last time I tried on watches, the Cartier Tank large size (which is small) felt and looked fantastic. But I can't do the Explorer, and I was on the waitlist for a year and half and I decided to not get it.

The new Datejust however, (I go back and forth on my thoughts) does work, indeed. I think it's the 20mm lug width that makes the difference, well and I recently tried the silver dial DJ so there's that visual trick that a lighter dial watch wears larger. I also prefer the Jubilee to the Oyster, so there's that too.

As I mentioned above, I think a true size 37mm Explorer would be perfect (for me). I sometimes wear my 38mm Hamilton Khaki Mechanical (in fact it's whats on my wrist right now) and it's definitely not too big, but I actually think it could be 1mm smaller, that's my justification for my thinking a 37mm Explorer would be ideal... If only.

If you have a 6 1/2 inch wrist, the Explorer 36 is PERFECT FOR YOU! You just don’t know it yet. It looks small to you, because you are used to seeing larger watches on your wrist. It’s all about perception, which will change with your routine. Give it a chance. I’d bet it would become your favorite watch.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 01:07 AM   #49
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

For you I think a 40. That just looks like it needs another mm or two.

The Air King is a poor comparison. The case is very different.
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 02:14 AM   #50
"TRF" Member

36 looks slightly better at your wrist size, but the 40 could work.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 03:22 AM   #51
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
If you have a 6 1/2 inch wrist, the Explorer 36 is PERFECT FOR YOU! You just don’t know it yet. It looks small to you, because you are used to seeing larger watches on your wrist. It’s all about perception, which will change with your routine. Give it a chance. I’d bet it would become your favorite watch.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm afraid not. As I mentioned I have even smaller watches that I wear, but the Explorer did not work for me. I've tried the 36mm on multiple times (as well as the 40mm once) and I actually declined the purchase of the 36mm when my 1.5 year wait was up. I suppose my perception could change, but I'd rather got for a Datejust at this point, if nothing, than for the Jubilee bracelet.
Old 26 June 2024, 11:36 AM   #52
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

Explorer 39 mark 2 dial is where it’s at if you ask me
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 10:22 PM   #53
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you are already thinking the 36 mm is too small, trust me when I say that thought won’t go away. In reality the Exp 36 wears closer to 35 mm. I have a 7.1” wrist, purchased the 36 mm Explorer 124270, and sold it within a few months. It was just too small for me. The watch is amazing, and if your preference is for smaller watches then get the 36 mm, if not, go 40 mm.
Cassian739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 11:15 PM   #54
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassian739 View Post
If you are already thinking the 36 mm is too small, trust me when I say that thought won’t go away. In reality the Exp 36 wears closer to 35 mm. I have a 7.1” wrist, purchased the 36 mm Explorer 124270, and sold it within a few months. It was just too small for me. The watch is amazing, and if your preference is for smaller watches then get the 36 mm, if not, go 40 mm.
This is a really good point. If money was no option and I could just have it as a change up it would be great but thinking more carefully, when I put on the Air King it felt like returning home to something normal and comfortable.

I'm looking for something that would split time with my BLNR and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if the 36 would be worn sparingly which then defeats the purpose.
Old 26 June 2024, 11:16 PM   #55
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregvisser View Post
For you I think a 40. That just looks like it needs another mm or two.

The Air King is a poor comparison. The case is very different.
What makes you say 40 for me?
Old 26 June 2024, 11:28 PM   #56
JBond
"TRF" Member

go for 36

You think 36mm is too small because your perception hasn't adjusted to this size. If you wear a GMT and then put on a 36mm Explorer, it will feel small. That's obvious. It's like driving a Land Cruiser and then switching to a C class. The latter would feel tiny at first, but then you would adapt to it and see it as a normal size.

I own a 36mm Explorer and will never trade it for a bigger size. I wear it along with other "big" Rolex watches (New Gold Sub, Milgauss, GMT, etc.) with no size problem.
JBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 11:29 PM   #57
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I recently went through this dilemma and chose…….. neither. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

I preferred the looks of the 36 on the watch tray compared to the 40, but on the wrist it felt too small and I didn’t like the thin but thick clasp. The 40’s clasp felt better on the wrist, but the large dial felt too large for me.

In the end, what I want is an Explorer sized between the two existing models with the 40’s clasp.
If only you were on the Rolex design team!

Look, guys, Rolex cocked up the newest Explorers. The 36mm wears WAY too small on the wrist, since they decided to have lug width of 19" and taper the clasp to a dainty size. It's an inexcusable mistake.

The 40mm, well... let's just say proportions aren't it's strong suit. A 38mm would be perfect.

OP: I hate to say it, but neither is the correct answer. The 36mm looks to small on you (And I'm not a 36mm hater - I prefer a DD36 over the larger size) and the 40mm is just a weird watch.
Old 26 June 2024, 11:31 PM   #58
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassian739 View Post
If you are already thinking the 36 mm is too small, trust me when I say that thought won’t go away. In reality the Exp 36 wears closer to 35 mm. I have a 7.1” wrist, purchased the 36 mm Explorer 124270, and sold it within a few months. It was just too small for me.
Excellent advice.

Hell, I have a 6.5" wrist and the 36mm felt too small on me. For context, I'm 6' tall and have a flat wrist (built like a triathlete).
Old 27 June 2024, 12:19 AM   #59
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
What makes you say 40 for me?
The 36 just looks too small on your wrist. I think it’s one thing to argue that away with a vintage watch that doesn’t come in a different size, but you have a better for you option available in the 40. Go with that.

I think the 36 will always not quite look right. If they made a 38 I’d say that should work but they don’t. And we know a 40 will work well.
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 12:28 AM   #60
mattvg
"TRF" Member

I switch between a 124270 and a VTNR on jubilee. I've had the 124270 for three years and have been a huge fan-boy the whole time, but since recently getting the VTNR I especially appreciate how the two differ in size.
mattvg is offline   Reply With Quote