The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2024, 11:39 PM   #181
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Haha how can you make a statement like that and then end on "Each to their own."...

Enthusiasts can buy Daytonas as well, you know.
Agree, I think it’s reasonable to have both. Especially on the Daytona side if you nerd out on vintage references, gemset, platinum, etc… many options as well for Speedmaster.

They’re both classic chronos with an interesting history.

I started my collecting journey with Omega as it was the Bond watch at the time and since then I have always had a few in my collection including that first one.

Since I have no Daytonas at the moment and two Speedys that shows which I prefer. I still have room for a 321!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #182
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
ok … where do i send the dry cleaning bill for my coffee choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll send you a coupon
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:18 AM   #183
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Enthusiasts can buy Daytonas as well, you know.
You're missing my point. Only watch enthusiasts would buy a 321.

A Daytona is just a status symbol to some.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:47 AM   #184
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
The only thing more annoying than “people that buy Omega can’t afford a Rolex” is “only flashy insecure people that want to show-off buy a Daytona”

Both takes are lame.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 01:54 AM   #185
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The only thing more annoying than “people that buy Omega can’t afford a Rolex” is “only flashy insecure people that want to show-off buy a Daytona”

Both takes are lame.

Agreed. Both are fine watches and are worthy of high praise.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:22 AM   #186
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
You're missing my point. Only watch enthusiasts would buy a 321.

A Daytona is just a status symbol to some.

I'm pretty sure some people buy a $16k Omega thinking it a "status symbol". Maybe fewer than Rolex, but it is "just a status symbol to some".
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:08 AM   #187
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:

Both takes are lame.

I never said "only". You made that up.

I said flashy insecure people would buy a Daytona - not a 321. Completely different.

Of course watch enthusiasts buy Daytonas as well.

I know loads of people with 0 knowledge about watches that wear Daytonas for show. They probably don't even know what a chronograph is though.

The same wouldn't be true of 321 owners.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 03:27 AM   #188
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Ed White 321 vs Daytona: Which is the more special watch for a lifetime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
I never said "only". You made that up.

I said flashy insecure people would buy a Daytona - not a 321. Completely different.

Of course watch enthusiasts buy Daytonas as well.

I know loads of people with 0 knowledge about watches that wear Daytonas for show. They probably don't even know what a chronograph is though.

The same wouldn't be true of 321 owners.

Fair point, you never said “only.” The sentiment was there though.

And I would question that people with “0 knowledge about watches” are wearing a Daytona. I think that’s far-fetched. And you know “loads” of them? Suspect.

I also think it’s a complete fabrication when people say they see Daytonas much more than Speedmasters or people wear Daytonas because “everyone” knows what a Daytona is. Total nonsense. 99.99% of non-WIS have no idea what a Daytona is.

I’m not saying you have said all of those statements, but I read those comments on TRF all the time and many of those things have been written in this thread alone.

I know I earlier expressed my preference for a Daytona over a Speedmaster and also my nausea at Omegas milking of the NASA connection but I now regret even taking part in this thread. While I may prefer one, I very much like both.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:18 AM   #189
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

If Omega made the Ed without the fauxtina, I’m in.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:23 AM   #190
soulsea

Having recently gotten an Ed White and already owning a white ceramic Daytona my honest opinion as an aspiring collector is that both are quintessential and peak representations of their respective brands/models and I love both, albeit for very different reasons. (I also like my moonswatch). The only modern Daytona I would choose over the 116500LN is the new Platona, and only by the slightest of margins because of weight and the display caseback ... hopefully the Rolex gods will grant me one at some point.

Unless one figures out how to wear it upside down the Ed White is really a watch for people that love and nerd out about horological history and for the most part really don't care about impressing anyone, nor about the most accurate way to keep time. The restaurant host will not give you a better table because you're wearing one and it will put most ladies to sleep ... but run into someone who is passionate about horology and you can't pry it off their hands. I'm sure this has been posted before but really worth a looksie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZCXpo8Gbes

Old 22 June 2024, 04:45 AM   #191
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I think Rolesor2022's account must've been hacked by a 10 year old, so best just let him be, and click that Ignore button.
My collection makes grown men weep. Keep coping and enjoy your plastic, undesirable little swatch
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:47 AM   #192
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ok … where do i send the dry cleaning bill for my coffee choke

Chubby old boomers .
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:47 AM   #193
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I think Rolesor2022's account must've been hacked by a 10 year old, so best just let him be, and click that Ignore button.
I never ignore or block anyone, even those that live under bridges. I can still learn from someone I disagree with.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:03 AM   #194
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
He's unfortunately trolling. Just let it be...

However, I don't believe the 321 movement is hand made. It may be inspected and repaired by a single guy, but the assembly is still automated. The 321 obviously has the history behind it, but it's not some high horological movement - it's a workhorse movement that can be made cheaply.
The internet - where you can say anything!

And no, it is not assembled via automation. Nor is it made cheaply. A cursory search could have uncovered those facts.

But, internet.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:03 AM   #195
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
My collection makes grown men weep. Keep coping and enjoy your plastic, undesirable little swatch
Nobody weeps over rolesor Rolex references.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #196
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also think it’s a complete fabrication when people say they see Daytonas much more than Speedmasters or people wear Daytonas because “everyone” knows what a Daytona is. Total nonsense. 99.99% of non-WIS have no idea what a Daytona is.
Eh. I mean, this is true… but they also have no idea what a Datejust is (even though that's what they picture when you say 'Rolex'), a Submariner is, a Seamaster is, a GMT-Master is, a Speedmaster is etc.

They do (think they) know what a "Rolex" is, though.

Many of us have had the experience of complimenting someone's Submariner, for example, and hearing something like "It's not a Submariner it's a Rolex".
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:27 PM   #197
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:

Agreed. More non-watch enthusiasts would probably recognize or seen a speedy before a daytona.

No one cares about daytonas over two tone datejusts in the real world. Only watch people.
Seddyspaghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:44 PM   #198
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:06 PM   #199
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
I would get EW if I didn't need to take off to jump in a pool or lake..so Rolex for me
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 08:33 PM   #200
karleone
"TRF" Member

Both great watches. Daytona all day for the 100m water resistance, the unique design (the 321 looks very similar to a standard speedy that is half the cost), don’t like the faux patina on the 321, and Daytona bracelet looks better / better finish and quality.

karleone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 08:49 PM   #201
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jesus Christ......are you for real ?
Lever Escapement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:21 PM   #202
Toptimes
"TRF" Member

Choosing between the Omega Speedmaster "Ed White" 321 and the Rolex Daytona is a matter of personal preference and what qualities you value most in a watch, My personal preference would be the Speedy, but the decision comes down to your personal tastes, interests, and what aspects of watch collecting resonate most with you.
Toptimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:08 PM   #203
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Both great watches. Daytona all day for the 100m water resistance, the unique design (the 321 looks very similar to a standard speedy that is half the cost), don’t like the faux patina on the 321, and Daytona bracelet looks better / better finish and quality…]
This is quite a common misconception as it’s not fauxtina. It’s done with purpose and historical reference.

From @logo

“it’s not fauxtina, it’s the same color it was on the 105.003 references leaving the factory in 1965. Just so happens that color has some character”

I wish I could find it, but I believe it was @logo or @ travelller that posted a color chart showing the different lume colors and why this specific color was used on the original and on the current 321.

From @ monochrome:

Finally, the hands have been modelled after the 105.003, meaning that, unlike the CK2998, they have the classic white colour and baton design – this reference was the first to use the Professional hands, while the CK2998 had metallic Alpha hands. This also means a white central seconds hand with a diamond-shaped tip. In the same vein, the subsidiary hands are painted white. Finally, Omega has decided not to use “fauxtina” and to stick as close as possible to the original colour of tritium paint (when new at least). As such, the hands and hours indexes are filled with light-beige-coloured Super-LumiNova.

IMHO, the lume color being different from the bright white hands, improves the legibility, and is probably another reason why Omega chose to use it

Anyway, once you handle a 321 in real life, you actually will see the build quality. It’s absolutely on par or above with the modern Daytona
Old 22 June 2024, 10:15 PM   #204
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is quite a common misconception as it’s not fauxtina. It’s done with purpose and historical reference.

From @logo

“it’s not fauxtina, it’s the same color it was on the 105.003 references leaving the factory in 1965. Just so happens that color has some character”

I wish I could find it, but I believe it was @logo or @ travelller that posted a color chart showing the different lume colors and why this specific color was used on the original and on the current 321.

From @ monochrome:

Finally, the hands have been modelled after the 105.003, meaning that, unlike the CK2998, they have the classic white colour and baton design – this reference was the first to use the Professional hands, while the CK2998 had metallic Alpha hands. This also means a white central seconds hand with a diamond-shaped tip. In the same vein, the subsidiary hands are painted white. Finally, Omega has decided not to use “fauxtina” and to stick as close as possible to the original colour of tritium paint (when new at least). As such, the hands and hours indexes are filled with light-beige-coloured Super-LumiNova.

IMHO, the lume color being different from the bright white hands, improves the legibility, and is probably another reason why Omega chose to use it

Anyway, once you handle a 321 in real life, you actually will see the build quality. It’s absolutely on par or above with the modern Daytona
And you can read it. Which I guess is weird these days.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:17 PM   #205
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
And you can read it. Which I guess is weird these days.

Well there is that too

Old 25 June 2024, 05:17 AM   #206
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
They did with 1861, the FOIS.

The markers are white but keep in mind the subtle differences. The handset for example are sword hands, the running seconds is an alpha hand, the chronograph hand is a stick hand, the pushers and crown are slightly different and so is the font

E.g.

FOIS comes primarily on strap but you can fit a Forstner flat link bracelet. I doubt the ed white omega bracelet fits, probably end links.

With the flat link

bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:23 AM   #207
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
They did with 1861, the FOIS.

The markers are white but keep in mind the subtle differences. The handset for example are sword hands, the running seconds is an alpha hand, the chronograph hand is a stick hand, the pushers and crown are slightly different and so is the font

E.g.

FOIS comes primarily on strap but you can fit a Forstner flat link bracelet. I doubt the ed white omega bracelet fits, probably end links.

With the flat link

The straight lugs on the EW 321 look so much better to my eye. Are they different from the FOIS, or just angle of photos?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 05:28 AM   #208
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
The straight lugs on the EW 321 look so much better to my eye. Are they different from the FOIS, or just angle of photos?
very true, the FOIS have a slight bevel on the outside edge whereas the 321 are true straight.
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:15 AM   #209
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
For anyone that wants to geek out on the 321 movement.

https://revolutionwatch.com/the-comp...-calibre-2310/
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 09:07 PM   #210
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I never ignore or block anyone, even those that live under bridges. I can still learn from someone I disagree with.
Oh this is so true .. and refreshing ..
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote