The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2024, 08:00 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

The 116500LN Black has been very different than what I expected

I wanted to add a Daytona for at least 15 years, the longest I've pined over any watch before finally adding it. Finally just pulled the trigger on it grey market a couple of months ago as the prices have come back down to something I could stomach.

When I first got it, I thought it would be the ultimate "trophy" watch in my small collection, something I don't wear often.

Strangely, the hype faded fast and I almost got a bit disappointed, but then recently my paradigm on the watch itself changed and I'm starting to appreciate it a lot more. I think going for the black dial was a good choice in that regard.

Rather than "hype piece", it almost feels like a fancy 214270 Explorer I, and I say this in the best way possible as I love that watch. It's just such an easy watch to pick up and wear without overthinking anything. Good in any situation. A wind and go in the sense that if it's stopped, I just need to set the time (no date) and go. The dimensions are quite similar to the 39mm Exp I as is the comfort. Once it's on, it kinda disappears on the wrist.

In addition, I think it flys under the radar better than I initially expected, which aids daily wear. The all-black probably helps, as does the 39mm smaller size. But comically I think I have to thank the success of the Moonswatch. It's made black chronos super popular and a lot more ubiquitous than they were in the past.

Indeed, so far only one person has commented on my Daytona, and it was a barista at Starbucks. I kid you not, he looked at my watch and asked if it was a "Moonwatch". Not an Omega or a Speedmaster, but a "moonwatch".
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:12 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great feedback I think sometimes when you wait on a watch for so long the build up can be a bit anticlimactic.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it more with time

As for the barista… I hope they got your order right.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:16 AM   #3
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Great feedback I think sometimes when you wait on a watch for so long the build up can be a bit anticlimactic.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it more with time

As for the barista… I hope they got your order right.
Thanks! I think it makes sense that there is no watch (not even close) that I hyped up in my own mind as the Daytona, so the drop from that was going to be really drastic.

Barista nailed the order!
Old 25 June 2024, 08:25 AM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve had four SS Daytonas from the 16520/116520/116500 generations and my current black dial 116500 acquired in 2019 is the keeper. Even though it’s pretty blingy with the PCLs the only comments I’ve had are from watch store employees.
Hype here is strong, in the world at large it’s just not that recognized. It is as you say a very comfortable unassuming piece that could certainly serve as a one and only. It’s also the most accurate mechanical watch I’ve ever owned. Last week I wound and set it then wore it a few nights for just a few hours. A week later it has not lost or gained a second.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:28 AM   #5
rockysw
"TRF" Member

interesting experience. thanks for sharing.

And I am glad you are liking it more with time. It is a great watch. And the movement is quite remarkable. Moonwatch, even with manual wind, is thicker than a daytona which is automatic and rotor adds significant thickness.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:07 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Thanks! I think it makes sense that there is no watch (not even close) that I hyped up in my own mind as the Daytona, so the drop from that was going to be really drastic.

Barista nailed the order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:38 AM   #7
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

You should have got the new 12 series black. The 11 series black pales in comparison and its very underwhelming when next to the new 12 black. Way more refined and looks better with the updates
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:12 AM   #8
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I think one reason no one comments is that there are so many watch that looks exactly the same across the room that you have to really look to find out. It could have been a seiko or a mall watch for all anyone would know unless it's an arms length away. In this way, I'm also glad I have the black. But no doubt there is owner bias I cannot get rid of. The real test would be, if Rolex let you exchange dial and give you stamp of approval, would you exchange your black dial with a Panda?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:16 AM   #9
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphr1 View Post
I think one reason no one comments is that there are so many watch that looks exactly the same across the room that you have to really look to find out. It could have been a seiko or a mall watch for all anyone would know unless it's an arms length away. In this way, I'm also glad I have the black. But no doubt there is owner bias I cannot get rid of. The real test would be, if Rolex let you exchange dial and give you stamp of approval, would you exchange your black dial with a Panda?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
No I wouldn't for exactly the reason you mentioned. Even if someone knows nothing about watches, the Panda would be much more noticeable because of the color contrast.
Old 25 June 2024, 10:38 AM   #10
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Is that why your nickname is also the dark knight? Seems like there’s a theme going on.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:43 AM   #11
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I remember discussing black vs white dial with my wife when I was considering which one to get. I chose black because it was simply more “me”… I am guessing for many owners it is just a sense of what fits their style better. I honestly couldn’t fathom having one that wasn’t exactly what I wanted. There is such a trivial difference in cost that for the vast majority of owners, it would be absurd NOT to get exactly what they desire…

I still take random photos of it after nearly 5 full years of ownership… beautiful watch and one I don’t intend to ever sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2024-06-18-115158.jpeg (198.8 KB, 845 views)
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:47 AM   #12
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Definitely an amazing piece and I can appreciate that it flies under the radar, which is a good thing.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:11 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
It’s funny, my initial thought when I bought my first Daytona was it wears very similar to my 39mm Explorer. I find this case design to be the most comfortable to wear in the Rolex line. Great watch and congrats!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:48 AM   #14
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
I feel you, OP. Said it time and again. Biggest "let-down" of my watch-collecting journey has been my Daytona. They're hyped to hell... and I honestly don't know why at this point.

A nice watch - sure. But for me it's just "so so".

It does wear well, that said. And is super comfy. But for me, the cons far outweigh the pros.
Old 25 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #15
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thanks for the interesting background on your experience.
I think is a great piece, and I’m glad that you are now enjoying it more.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:48 PM   #16
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Thanks for the honest feedback. Much appreciated. Just give it more time and you’ll like it even more.
911cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:38 PM   #17
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think the lore around it makes it anticlimactic. Much like Pappy Van Winkle. Once you love with it you realize how comfortable and versatile it is. I actually believe its current gray market price is worth it. I know many don't and that is fine too. Great watch, enjoy OP.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:06 PM   #18
Cru Jones

Thanks for sharing. A definitely relatable “problem”.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:09 PM   #19
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I wanted to add a Daytona for at least 15 years, the longest I've pined over any watch before finally adding it. Finally just pulled the trigger on it grey market a couple of months ago as the prices have come back down to something I could stomach.

When I first got it, I thought it would be the ultimate "trophy" watch in my small collection, something I don't wear often.

Strangely, the hype faded fast and I almost got a bit disappointed, but then recently my paradigm on the watch itself changed and I'm starting to appreciate it a lot more. I think going for the black dial was a good choice in that regard.

Rather than "hype piece", it almost feels like a fancy 214270 Explorer I, and I say this in the best way possible as I love that watch. It's just such an easy watch to pick up and wear without overthinking anything. Good in any situation. A wind and go in the sense that if it's stopped, I just need to set the time (no date) and go. The dimensions are quite similar to the 39mm Exp I as is the comfort. Once it's on, it kinda disappears on the wrist.

In addition, I think it flys under the radar better than I initially expected, which aids daily wear. The all-black probably helps, as does the 39mm smaller size. But comically I think I have to thank the success of the Moonswatch. It's made black chronos super popular and a lot more ubiquitous than they were in the past.

Indeed, so far only one person has commented on my Daytona, and it was a barista at Starbucks. I kid you not, he looked at my watch and asked if it was a "Moonwatch". Not an Omega or a Speedmaster, but a "moonwatch".
White Dial 116500LN for me, but also had a somewhat similar experience. I love mine and daily it all the time....I also have a 214270 MK2 that I love as well.
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:13 PM   #20
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
I remember discussing black vs white dial with my wife when I was considering which one to get. I chose black because it was simply more “me”… I am guessing for many owners it is just a sense of what fits their style better. I honestly couldn’t fathom having one that wasn’t exactly what I wanted. There is such a trivial difference in cost that for the vast majority of owners, it would be absurd NOT to get exactly what they desire…

I still take random photos of it after nearly 5 full years of ownership… beautiful watch and one I don’t intend to ever sell.
Its funny because I went back and forth on the Black vs White debate over and over in my own head and so I turned to my wife for advice (she knew nothing of the cost difference or the nicknames etc)...she instantly said to get the white as it was more "me"...even after I told her the price difference she said I would regret not getting the white in the long run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona_2018_6.jpg (114.2 KB, 650 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:32 PM   #21
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I honestly can’t separate a 116 white from a 126 black if I want another one, you’ve made a great choice, sometimes the thrill of the hunt is greater than the catch, we’re all weird watchy people that analyse intricate details and get excited over things vast majority of the population would never get, but it is funny your barista thought it was a moon watch .. enjoy the Daytona, it’s a lovely watch imo in any iteration …
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:52 PM   #22
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
A Great insight and opinion OP. Having both black and white I can honestly say that the difference is easily enough to warrant owning both. True, the watch is hyped in internet-land, but in my honest opinion justifiably so. The Daytona I such a cohesive design that screams class.

As for the age-old black/white debate. The black’s seamless transition from dial to outer bezel (on the 11 series) creates an interesting optical illusion making the face meld into one with the bezel.

The white’s (incorrectly referred Panda) striking contrast between bezel and dial seems more “fresh”, dynamic and sporty to these eyes.

I love them both and have always said that I fell in love with Rolex because my first love was always the Daytona from being an adolescent the watch mesmerized me. Age hasn’t reduced my appreciation.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:02 PM   #23
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
You should have got the new 12 series black. The 11 series black pales in comparison and its very underwhelming when next to the new 12 black. Way more refined and looks better with the updates
This is not Reddit. Please stop with your negative attitude
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:07 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned both the SS white and black dial at the same time, 11 series. Cool watches and a very big flex in our world of collecting. In the end, the Daytona is too small, 38.5mm, for my 7.5-7.75 inch wrist and difficult for me to read at a glance. When I owned them I thought the white dial would get more wrist time but it turned out the black dial got more. Don't know why, other than an overall preference for black dial watches. I am glad you are pleased with your Daytona. Enjoy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:24 PM   #25
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

The Daytona fits me perfectly. I know it wears a little smaller for a lot of people, but with my 6 3/4 inch wrist, it's right on the money. I do think the black dial with the ceramic bezel gives the watch a larger diameter presentation than the white dial version does. I went with the black dial for my stainless steel Daytona for that reason.
Old 26 June 2024, 03:19 PM   #26
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Love my Godzilla... LOL, am I allowed to say that? Coming from a 42mm Polar Explorer II and a Speedmaster I really love the size of the Daytona. I think the thinness of the Daytona does not get enough attention. Is there a thinner chrono than the Daytona? After the polar E2 I did not want another white dial so I got the black dial. Such a perfect watch. Fits my 7.5" wrist so well. I do wish it was easier to read, but maybe I just need to wear my glasses. I have had mine for 1.5 months and the only person to notice my watch was a guy sitting next to me on the plane. Hey yelled - "Hey is that a Rolex you are wearing!" I think everyone a few rows on each side heard it... Turned out to be a nice older gentlemen, we had a nice conversation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0682 Daytona.jpg (276.5 KB, 429 views)
Wingman244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 05:10 PM   #27
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

That’s great news. I am still waiting for the day my number gets called, under the radar would be a bonus. I never thought of a Daytona as discreet but it does look a fair amount of other watches, makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 06:24 AM   #28
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
This is not Reddit. Please stop with your negative attitude
I can voice my opinion about the black 116500ln, just like you did about the white 116500. Don't be a hypocrite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_6881.jpg (189.4 KB, 316 views)
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #29
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post

OP waited 15 yrs and you are going to tell him he bought the wrong watch.

GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #30
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Congratulations OP it’s a beautiful watch enjoy it!!

GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote