The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2024, 11:27 AM   #1
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Have you ever….

Have you ever gone great and absolutely loved the watch, but just not at the premium it came at? This is where I find myself with my new 116500 white dial. I had to try one and pulled the trigger and while I really like it and would be a buy at retail all day lol, I don’t really love it at the price I paid. Curious if anyone else can relate and what you did in the end.
For context I have a 12LV sub and 16710 Pepsi on jubilee.
I have been allocated a VTNR on jubilee to be received this year. Love the modern GMT but admittedly it’s probably my second favorite to the Pepsi.
Would you:

Sell it outright and cut any losses while it’s in mint condition

Trade it out for a new Pepsi on jubilee plus cash my way
If I did this I would test drive it and the VTNR and probably end up selling the loser. Who knows

Do nothing and wear the Daytona - it’s not that I’m in any sort of bind from a financial standpoint but I am very OCD and the PCL bracelet might drive me crazy once it shows wear. I’m firm believer in wear the watch and let the scuffs be, but I find that easier on my brushed oyster sub

Thanks as always for any insight or input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:37 AM   #2
NewYorkRanger
"TRF" Member

I would keep it, it is such a high demand model. I get the buyers remorse since you likely paid double the retail price, but I would look at it from the perspective if there was ever a watch that is pretty much impossible to get at retail, it is the Daytona.

Plus the 116500 is unique now with the 126500 out.

Based on your plan, selling the Daytona is the first domino but it ultimetely means you go from 2 watches to 1...not a great deal IMO if money is not an issue!
NewYorkRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:45 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Absolutely. There is an upper limit to "value" given a certain price point. Clearly, you understand this.
Old 25 June 2024, 11:47 AM   #4
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
It sounds like you're leaning towards making the switch. I would while it's still in mint condition.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:09 PM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
The way I look at buying any Rolex is that they are all overpriced for what they are, even at MSRP from an AD. But, I love them, so I pay that price. Never will I pay a premium for a used piece. So, I think you should sell it, or trade for a piece that is more reasonably priced. Get some of that money back!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:26 PM   #6
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Sounds like you’ve already paid the premium and a sale would yield a relative loss. I’d hold because it’s just too difficult to replace it.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:32 PM   #7
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Just keep it at your presumed price you paid. You might regret it down the road.
911cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:33 PM   #8
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
All things being retail, what piece do you want most? If it's the Daytona, just keep it. Yeah, double retail sucks but chasing consolation pieces that are cheaper aren't really so in the long term.

If you sell the Daytona and it's the one you love the most, you're just signing yourself up for a multi year, multi $K rollercoaster where you'll likely end up back at the Daytona.

Just my thoughts.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 01:33 PM   #9
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
"Unique" is probably a very incorrect word for it.

While we will never know the actual numbers, but it's pretty safe to say that since it was produced from 2016-2023, there are more 116500s out there than 126500 for a little while, produced 2023-?

I agree with the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post
I would keep it, it is such a high demand model. I get the buyers remorse since you likely paid double the retail price, but I would look at it from the perspective if there was ever a watch that is pretty much impossible to get at retail, it is the Daytona.

Plus the 116500 is unique now with the 126500 out.

Based on your plan, selling the Daytona is the first domino but it ultimetely means you go from 2 watches to 1...not a great deal IMO if money is not an issue!
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:07 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You pay once, you get to wear and enjoy forever.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 03:38 PM   #11
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

No offence to anyone that might be a grey market seller, but I'll never entertain any of these thieves.
I'm happy to wait on the proverbial "list". If I eventually get the call I will go in on the same day to buy, but I'm not going to succumb to 10-15 grand worth of price increases because I didn't have a buying history or my AD doesn't think I'm worthy of having one. My time isn't worth playing the game for the sake of making a few grand. I was never in it to make money.

Some people wait years to get the call on some pieces that others get offered multiples of in the same week for them to sit in a safe.
I have expensive motorcycles, but they don't sit in the shed because I'm scared of wearing them out or getting them dirty.

I wanted a Rolex as a memorial of various things in my life but the longer it goes on the worse the taste gets, and the less of a fond memory it will be.

It's a watch. It's not going to change my life either way.

Rant over.
Lever Escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 04:14 PM   #12
jimkar
"TRF" Member

I would keep it if I liked the watch. Get over the fact paying over retail. I imagine if you are allocated the gmt you will not sell it under retail right? Nobody wants to pay over retail but everyone wants to sell at market price. That's so ironic. So stop over thinking. Enjoy the watch.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-S908B μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
jimkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:18 PM   #13
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
15k or 30k who cares we work to make money...............money is something is use to make life better in every way...............life is so short and you can't take it with you.......old guy perspective
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:27 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
You pay once, you get to wear and enjoy forever.
Absolutely this
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:31 PM   #15
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
I think sometimes realism kicks in and when you look at a watch you could easily pay over double MRSP it deflates once on the wrist.
Especially what’s considered ‘grail’ piece that is near impossible to get from an AD.
But the good thing is you’ll get your money back selling it at any point due to the incredible demand for this watch, someone will always do what you did.
I’d just enjoy the watch though, and down the line can easily sell if need be.
Paul Newman
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:35 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have a mental circuit breaker built in which depends on the watch and the outlay. Having established that I could not get my 116610LV at MSRP from an AD I had no hesitation in going to the pre owned market. When the same happened for my 126710BLRO I just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra. We will all draw the line in a different place.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 07:54 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
If it's a keeper, the enjoyment of owning and wearing the watch would outweigh the price paid.
It sounds like you've already made up your mind.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:10 PM   #18
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I understand this. There’s no way I’d have got into my BLRO if it was a standalone purchase from the grey dealer. I traded up and into it with a watch I’d got at retail and made a few thousand profit on. That made it possible to pay the grey retail price for it.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 08:25 PM   #19
Rentalcarman
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None at the moment
This has happened to me many times. Because there is only one AD in the immediate area, getting the watches I want are slim to none. So I have turned to the trusted sellers here. Sometimes I have paid a little over MSRP and others way over. I do notice that when I pay way over that I have not enjoyed the watch as much and have ended up moving them along, often at a loss.

It whether it’s a little over or a lot over, it’s truly perceived value. If I love the watch then the cost doesn’t matter so much as I value getting what I want( if that makes sense) and so paying more doesn’t bother me as much.

But if you don’t really like the watch, I would sell while the condition is still mint and the market is still strong.

Good luck with your decision and quest!
Old 25 June 2024, 08:50 PM   #20
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

If the sight of it acts as a nagging reminder of a bad purchase get rid of it and move on.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:17 PM   #21
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

It's horses for courses, but me personally, I'll never pay overs for a watch. I don't care what it is. I don't like the fact that someone in the chain has made a profit other than the manufacture and/or the retailer, and I'm the greater fool further down the line.

Not knocking anyone who's gone grey, each to their own, and some people can justify it to themselves and that's absolutely fine, more power to ya man. But me? I'd much rather wait and not pay a premium. A lot of the time, these watches are objectively far from worth what they trade at.
Old 25 June 2024, 09:19 PM   #22
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I have a mental circuit breaker built in which depends on the watch and the outlay. Having established that I could not get my 116610LV at MSRP from an AD I had no hesitation in going to the pre owned market. When the same happened for my 126710BLRO I just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra. We will all draw the line in a different place.
I was ok with a small premium on an Exp II during peak times as I could rationalise it. High inflation environment - I’ll be waiting a couple of years - I’m just paying upfront.

Maybe a sub is ok in today’s environment (a few years price rises) but I couldn’t bring myself to pay 100% premium so I guess my cutoff is somewhere around 20% or a few years price rises for BNIB.

But… you’ve done it now so I’d treat it as spent unless it reminds you of a decision you regret every time you wear it and actually takes away from enjoyment of the watch.

The radical option is to buy a few more watches that trade at a big discount and then tell yourself it all averages out just fine and you paid retail for the collection in total!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:37 PM   #23
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
Have you ever gone great and absolutely loved the watch, but just not at the premium it came at?
Well, no, so I've no experience in this area.

But it sounds like you feel you made a mistake (paying the premium).

When I make a mistake and it puts me in a certain position, and there's a clear out of that position, I tend to take that option and worry about ramifications afterwards. I just sleep better this way.

In your case, you feel you made a mistake buying that Daytona and now you have it. I would sell it, even at a loss. That way, you're out of that position. Might you regret selling it later? Sure. But worry about that if happens, because it may not.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 09:38 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand how the OP feels and have experienced it once before when I bought a Platinum Daytona with the diamond dial. At the time, I think I was slightly over retail but could not get my mind to go along with the purchase. I also did not like the brown bezel and was not blown away with the watch. Off it went for a slight profit and I bought some other watches that really worked for me. I do not mind buying from our Trusted Seller at current market prices as that is what it takes to get most of the watches I want in a timely manner without having to play AD games and wait extended periods of time. Depending on the model and where it is in the release cycle you can actually break even, lose a little or make a little on a sale down the road. I would sell/trade the Daytona for a watch I wanted more that met the classification of a watch that I did not mind paying a premium for. Or better yet I would buy the new Omega 3861 white dial for $8100 and have, to me, a more interesting watch. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:01 PM   #25
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO/EXPL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
It's horses for courses, but me personally, I'll never pay overs for a watch. I don't care what it is. I don't like the fact that someone in the chain has made a profit other than the manufacture and/or the retailer, and I'm the greater fool further down the line.

Not knocking anyone who's gone grey, each to their own, and some people can justify it to themselves and that's absolutely fine, more power to ya man. But me? I'd much rather wait and not pay a premium. A lot of the time, these watches are objectively far from worth what they trade at.
I agree, I couldn’t see paying over retail for anything. If I can’t buy at a good price or msrp, I don’t need it that bad. There are so many nice watches that can be had, I hate all the hype and FOMO. It destroys the hobby for me.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:47 PM   #26
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
On a discontinued watch, the price is the price so I wouldn't feel too bad. The chance of getting it at RRP is gone.
S.Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 10:57 PM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
With the sub and the Pepsi, you've got a near perfect trio. Not to mention you've got another modern GMT inbound. So, why do anything at this point?

In my experience, the 'do nothing' answer is best in these type situations where there isn't a clear cut way ahead.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:02 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sure I’ve done that many times. It’s even more common with something like a Daytona because they are so liquid and you know it. Easy to cut ties with them so you do more often.
Old 25 June 2024, 11:23 PM   #29
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
On a discontinued watch, the price is the price so I wouldn't feel too bad. The chance of getting it at RRP is gone.

This also played in my decision to go ahead and buy as a personally prefer the 116 over the 126

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 11:23 PM   #30
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

If you won’t enjoy wearing it, move it.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote