The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2024, 10:59 AM   #1
FL2024
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622 & 214270
Is the Royal Oak Offshore Diver the onyl true Tool Watch from AP?

Rolex will always be my favorite brand and make up the majority of my collection. I am thinking over venturing into other brands. I am intrigued by the RO Offshore Diver because it seems much more "industrial and "rugged" compared to the traditional RO or Offshore. I also think it is a good entry point into AP.

My only concern is durability. I am very rough on my watches. I wear them with a GADA mentality. I am not too concerned with scratches or dents. What impresses me most about Rolex how well they hold up.

For those who have owned or own an AP RO Diver my question is: how does it stack up against, let's say a Rolex Submariner or Explorer in terms of durability?

Would you consider it the only true tool watch from the brand?
FL2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 11:43 AM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Its an AP it is not as durable as a Rolex.
The bezel is a scratch and ding magnet.
Its a beautiful watch but not a true tool watch.
You will find professional divers wearing a Sub or SD
You will not find a professional diver wearing an AP ROO Diver watch

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 12:20 PM   #3
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

If you don’t care about getting a few marks on the bezel and lugs (you will, unless it’s made of ceramic), similar to the Submariner the ROO diver is a highly capable, durable watch suitable for many activities including diving.

If any AP watch is a GADA the diver is it.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 12:33 PM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
No.

It’s not a tool watch, neither is Rolex. Get a cheap ISO standard if you want that.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 12:34 PM   #5
Goupax
"TRF" Member

you have to start timing your dive before you jump into the water because there is no rotatable bezel on the diver, you have to unscrew the non-water resistant valve at 10 o'clock to rotate the timer inside. definitely not a very practical design as far as I am concerned.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 12:55 PM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Not sure that AP has much ambition to be known as a maker of tool watches. The diver should be fine as a daily watch, but it's not meant to compete with a G-Shock.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2024, 05:25 PM   #7
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
We have a member on the forum who wears their AP Diver daily, perhaps as their only watch too(?).

I’ve worn mine most days over the last 7 months but am much more conscious of banging it when compared to wearing other watches. It is picking up scratches but still looks awesome and others likely wouldn’t notice the scratches that I’ve picked up. I love the quick change straps and looking at the movement through the clear case back too.

As an entry level AP, I was deciding between a Diver and time and date only RO and decided on the Diver due to its more toolish look which I feel fits my lifestyle a little better.

Hope the above helps OP, Niki
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #8
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
you have to start timing your dive before you jump into the water because there is no rotatable bezel on the diver, you have to unscrew the non-water resistant valve at 10 o'clock to rotate the timer inside. definitely not a very practical design as far as I am concerned.
You probably can rotate the inner bezel while under water you just can't screw it back in while under water. Still wouldn't advise anyone to do it though.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=437332

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=553986&nojs=1
Old 2 July 2024, 05:15 AM   #9
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I think the word tool is a little misleading, but it’s the only HH diver that I know of. Love my diver. Also, consider the Blancpain Ti and JLC diver with PC in the same ballpark.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 07:15 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I have worn my diver pretty much everyday since buying it 6 or so years ago now. Been with me all over the place on various travels. I could count on one hand the activities I would not wear it for.

Ironically, I’ve yet to actually take it diving, but haven’t been since getting the watch with kids etc, but next time I go then it’s 100% coming down with me. Hopefully in the next couple of years.

I never intended it to be my only watch, but after getting it, I just stopped wearing my IWC almost completely so gave it to my brother rather than have it gather dust on the shelf. The only other watch I have my eye on for the future is an Explorer, but I don’t like having nice things I don’t use often enough, so that’s always prevented me from adding another piece.

As others have said, it will most definitely accumulate some scratches over time. At first I was quite conscious about this, maybe over concerned. Turns out it still looks amazing with life’s knocks on it. Despite the scratches and chips in the case & bezel, the crystal is immaculate.

As far as a go anywhere, boardroom-to-beach, do anything watch. This meets the needs for me. Obviously I’m sensible with it, respecting it’s a piece of mechanical marvellry. I wouldn’t smash it around in the bottom of my gym bag for example like you could a G-shock, but it works perfectly for 99.9% of wrist time, be it work, home, weekends, holidays, sports, gym etc.

A few photos from over the years. The one on the shingle is most recent and shows the current condition. At some point it will need a service, but I’ll be asking AP not to polish it.

The rubber strap makes it so comfortable to wear, and suitable for so many occasions, no matter the weather or usage as it’s easy to clean after.

If you do go for one, enjoy it and wear in good health !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2024, 07:27 AM   #11
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I have worn my diver pretty much everyday since buying it 6 or so years ago now. Been with me all over the place on various travels. I could count on one hand the activities I would not wear it for.

Ironically, I’ve yet to actually take it diving, but haven’t been since getting the watch with kids etc, but next time I go then it’s 100% coming down with me. Hopefully in the next couple of years.

I never intended it to be my only watch, but after getting it, I just stopped wearing my IWC almost completely so gave it to my brother rather than have it gather dust on the shelf. The only other watch I have my eye on for the future is an Explorer, but I don’t like having nice things I don’t use often enough, so that’s always prevented me from adding another piece.

As others have said, it will most definitely accumulate some scratches over time. At first I was quite conscious about this, maybe over concerned. Turns out it still looks amazing with life’s knocks on it. Despite the scratches and chips in the case & bezel, the crystal is immaculate.

As far as a go anywhere, boardroom-to-beach, do anything watch. This meets the needs for me. Obviously I’m sensible with it, respecting it’s a piece of mechanical marvellry. I wouldn’t smash it around in the bottom of my gym bag for example like you could a G-shock, but it works perfectly for 99.9% of wrist time, be it work, home, weekends, holidays, sports, gym etc.

A few photos from over the years. The one on the shingle is most recent and shows the current condition. At some point it will need a service, but I’ll be asking AP not to polish it.

The rubber strap makes it so comfortable to wear, and suitable for so many occasions, no matter the weather or usage as it’s easy to clean after.

If you do go for one, enjoy it and wear in good health !
Amazing and inspiring, thanks for sharing. That’s what it’s about, wearing your watches and making memories!

@OP - I wouldn’t categorize any AP (or Rolex for that matter) as a tool watch. Those days are unfortunately long gone as brands have moved upstream.
Old 2 July 2024, 07:50 AM   #12
squall1
"TRF" Member

I got mine in Jan 02. Have dropped it on a stone tile floor from chest height and put a pretty good crease in the top of the bezel. Dinged it on door handles a few times, take it swimming in the ocean, hiking and cycling. Still looks great, even the straps. Runs about 5 seconds fast.

Just keep it clean. I don't have any doubts using it versus something like a Sub (which I sold as I wasn't wearing it as much once I got the Diver).
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #13
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Amazing and inspiring, thanks for sharing. That’s what it’s about, wearing your watches and making memories!

@OP - I wouldn’t categorize any AP (or Rolex for that matter) as a tool watch. Those days are unfortunately long gone as brands have moved upstream.

Thank you, yes i couldn’t agree more about wearing and enjoying !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote