The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2024, 10:05 AM   #31
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhoppes View Post
I think my concern is mostly from my lack of understanding on how the crown works. I didn’t know if it needed to be screwed in for the internal gaskets to be tight for the water resistance or not. Sounds like from everyone that this is not how it functions.
Good question and one will get varying answers.
Naturally, it's a given the manufacturers will always say that the crown should always be in the screwed down position as that's basically how it's all intended to work.

When we look at the cut away models of all the designes, the only one that has no obvious crush type of seal is the daytona pusher which is designed for a 100 m water resistant watch.
The HEV will naturally be more water resistant the deeper it goes under water as the pressure increases and exerts more crush on the outer seal.
The Triplock has an external O-ring which comes into play when the crown is screwed down. Though it's well understood that the internal O-rings form a significant part of the effectiveness of the design.
The Twinlock clearly has a crush seal up inside the crown which is squashed down onto the end of the Crown tube when fully screwed down.

It's important to note the Rolex ran an advertising campaign way way back in the day, which showed how effective a Twinlock can potentially be at keeping water out.
Keep in mind that the early Submariners originally were designef with Twinlocks with some being upgraded at Rolex service to a Triplock when it became available for that reference.
Anyway, the advertising campaign showed a picture of the 100 m water resistant watch which had stopped working due to deformation of the caseback against the movement at extreme depths. Notably the watch had a Twinlock crown that was left open for what was intended as a destructive test and no water entered the case during the test.

We can reasonably assume that the internal seals on the crowns and pushers are rather effective when everything is in good order.
Though i remember one poor fellow on this forum with a new Deepsea that was getting moisture inside the watch after being in a hot tub.
Rolex fixed it under warranty after a few trips back to them to find the cause, which worked out to be a faulty HEV that didn't show up as being the culprit on initial testing.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:03 PM   #32
epc2
Banned

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Don't worry too much. Rolex watches have good seals even when the crown is unscrewed, especially if it was in the date position or pushed down. Since it was just splashes, your watch should be fine. Keep an eye on it for any condensation, but you’re likely in the clear.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:09 PM   #33
sjhoppes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 126610LN
I can report no noticeable condensation and we’re at ~+1sec per day.
sjhoppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:47 PM   #34
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Left to right HEV, Daytona pushers,Twin Lock,Trip Lock.

I’d like a set of these to display on my console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #35
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I did that before. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote