The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 July 2024, 03:56 AM   #1
APhound
"TRF" Member

Which openwork, rm, vc or ap

Alright guys need some help.
Have been wanting an openwork, assumed I would go AP. Love the new ones. Love the old ones. Could try to get one from AP and I think I could.
Tried this openwork perpetual Vc and this RM on a recent trip. Both incredible. Would love to have a RM, never had a VC.
What would you pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 03:57 AM   #2
APhound
"TRF" Member

The VC is versatile with the straps and has the extra complication.
The RM has to be seen in person to appreciate.
Tried on a friends openwork last week and was in love.

Old 3 July 2024, 04:05 AM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Currently have:
Ap jumbo ss
Ap royal oak rg
Ap royal oak panda ss
Ap roo rg
Ap roo green diver
Ap code blue ss
Patek 5164r
Patek 5711 white
Patek 5270j
Patek 6007g yellow
Patek annual calendar (can’t remember #)
Rolex dd platinum
Rolex Daytona meteorite rg
Rolex skydweller YG
FP journe octa lune rg
Lange 1 rg
Speedmaster Sedna
Some panerais, etc..

Old 3 July 2024, 04:07 AM   #4
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

IMO the 15407 is the most amazing OW and my grail. That said, I love the VC OW and would take that over its AP peer.

I’d go 15407 no question.
Old 3 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #5
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
IMO the 15407 is the most amazing OW and my grail. That said, I love the VC OW and would take that over its AP peer.

I’d go 15407 no question.

Sound like you’re as confused as me! Haha

Old 3 July 2024, 04:39 AM   #6
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I would choose the AP out of these three, only thing that would make me say otherwise is that is seems you don't have a VC in your awesome collection so that would add more variety overall I guess.

Personally not a fan of that particular RM.
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 04:39 AM   #7
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Not an RM expert at all, but if going RM I'd want one that goes all out in terms of movement, construction etc, and this doesn't seem to be one of those models.

I have handled the VC in WG - may well be more accomplished than the 15407 in terms of movement and finishing, but there is some simple genius about the original 15407 design that I haven't found in any other openworked, including more expensive/rare/horologically advanced AP models.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 06:29 AM   #8
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
I'd go with the VC out of those 3. I like the size, complication, and the finish is extraordinary.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want the 4300V openwork VC but in white gold. I also want a 26735ST AP (steel - sand gold isn't appealing to me) and would prefer that over the 15407 models. And in terms of RM, the RM30-01 white ceramic would be the next RM I'd like to get.

In terms of openwork models I own, I'd rate them based on my personal aesthetic preferences in this order:
1. RM72-01 (black ceramic) - The in-house movement and finish is incredible and it's one of the most wearable RM's (not humongous)
2. AP 15416CE - Same movement as the 15407ST but the black ceramic adds a new dimension and really ups the game. It doesn't scratch, but my cat knocked it off my table a month ago which broke off a small part of the bracelet where it connects to the watch case. The repair costs were ridiculous (~ 25k USD).
3. AP 26622TI - Very nicely finished and the symmetry of the openwork is lovely. It's a very big watch though.
4. RM67-01 (titanium) - It's nicely finished but there really isn't all that much to see in terms of the openworked nature of it. It's a lovely watch, easy to wear because it's so thin and light. It's the one out of these 4 that I most frequently wear because it is very comfortable.
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 07:11 AM   #9
golfer_john
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I tried on the VC skeleton QP (WG) and skeleton tourbillon (Ti) last month. Loved both, but the tourbillon was the clear winner for me.
golfer_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 08:38 AM   #10
APhound
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate everyone’s opinions so far.
I don’t k ow my RMs at all. That one became available at a boutique and that’s why it’s the one in the running. I know there’s many better ones out there but also don’t want to spend 500k (can’t) that ones 202k and that would be max for me (probably)

Old 3 July 2024, 08:49 AM   #11
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
To me an openwork should be clean so you can fully appreciate it.
While the VC is nice but it looks busy and most of the open is blocked
RM just not for me....

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 08:56 AM   #12
messikens
"TRF" Member

I'd run so far away from the RM it's not even funny!

Between the VC and the RO you can't go wrong. Personally with your purchase history you could get an OW and be one happy camper, but the VC is on a comparable level and prob same or nicer finishing. That said, the level of just overall "togetherness" of the AP makes it my #1 choice

messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:02 AM   #13
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Consider the 67-02 if you want Openworked RM. It’s a sportier version of the 67-01 but you can see the balance wheel, whereas I think on 67-01 it’s not visible.

You have a great collection!

watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:05 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i actually really like the 67-01 because it's so thin and sleek. it's probably one of my favorite models along with the 67-02. with that said i feel like this is an easy decision and the 15407 is a clear winner

also idk if you meant to post that photo or not but that 67-01 is clearly fake and that site only sells horrible cheap fakes lol. supposed to be an extra thin watch and not a thick happy meal RM
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:39 AM   #15
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i actually really like the 67-01 because it's so thin and sleek. it's probably one of my favorite models along with the 67-02. with that said i feel like this is an easy decision and the 15407 is a clear winner

also idk if you meant to post that photo or not but that 67-01 is clearly fake and that site only sells horrible cheap fakes lol. supposed to be an extra thin watch and not a thick happy meal RM

That’s funny. I just googled for a picture for this post.
It would be from RM boutique in Chicago

Old 3 July 2024, 09:39 AM   #16
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
Consider the 67-02 if you want Openworked RM. It’s a sportier version of the 67-01 but you can see the balance wheel, whereas I think on 67-01 it’s not visible.

Incredible watch!!!! Wow

Old 3 July 2024, 10:24 AM   #17
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
That’s funny. I just googled for a picture for this post.
It would be from RM boutique in Chicago

That’s my boutique as well - great crew!!!

watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 10:27 AM   #18
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
May I suggest something off piste? Assuming 200k is your budget and you want the best quality finishing available at that price point plus you want a skeleton and haven’t specified a sports design per se would the Breguet 3795PR be worth a look?

https://www.breguet.com/en/timepiece...ons/3795#!3888
Old 3 July 2024, 11:24 AM   #19
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahammackay86 View Post
I would choose the AP out of these three, only thing that would make me say otherwise is that is seems you don't have a VC in your awesome collection so that would add more variety overall I guess.

Personally not a fan of that particular RM.
My thoughts as well. That particular RM I passed on, not my favorite, and the variety would be nice for the VC if you like VC. Your collection is fantastic!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:49 AM   #20
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Currently have:
Ap jumbo ss
Ap royal oak rg
Ap royal oak panda ss
Ap roo rg
Ap roo green diver
Ap code blue ss
Patek 5164r
Patek 5711 white
Patek 5270j
Patek 6007g yellow
Patek annual calendar (can’t remember #)
Rolex dd platinum
Rolex Daytona meteorite rg
Rolex skydweller YG
FP journe octa lune rg
Lange 1 rg
Speedmaster Sedna
Some panerais, etc..

Based on your watch balance sheet the answer is obvious:
It’s a Richard Mille.
Since Money isn’t really an obstacle - just do it and show us some pix when you get your first RM…..
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:50 AM   #21
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
May I suggest something off piste? Assuming 200k is your budget and you want the best quality finishing available at that price point plus you want a skeleton and haven’t specified a sports design per se would the Breguet 3795PR be worth a look?

https://www.breguet.com/en/timepiece...ons/3795#!3888

Incredible I’m sure but not really my style.
To your point, no- not limited to just these three options. But I’ll admit I was nervous to click on that link in case it was another strong contender!
It’s just hard for me to wear dress watches because I don’t dress up. Yesterday I wore the 5270 with swim trunks to work haha

Old 3 July 2024, 11:57 AM   #22
seadubs
"TRF" Member

Love the 15407 - have one. Love the 67-02 - it is probably my most wearable piece..so comfortable.

That being said they are in two different price ranges...
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:02 PM   #23
APhound
"TRF" Member

I think if they were all sitting there I’d take the RM. But I’m nervous to open that can of worms. I already know there will be more I would want and I cannot afford to collect those things! I think the VC is the nicest but I would wear it the least. And the AP is amazing and I love the brand but today my guy said it could be a couple years and I’m not very patient.

Old 3 July 2024, 12:57 PM   #24
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb866 View Post
I'd go with the VC out of those 3. I like the size, complication, and the finish is extraordinary.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want the 4300V openwork VC but in white gold. I also want a 26735ST AP (steel - sand gold isn't appealing to me) and would prefer that over the 15407 models. And in terms of RM, the RM30-01 white ceramic would be the next RM I'd like to get.

In terms of openwork models I own, I'd rate them based on my personal aesthetic preferences in this order:
1. RM72-01 (black ceramic) - The in-house movement and finish is incredible and it's one of the most wearable RM's (not humongous)
2. AP 15416CE - Same movement as the 15407ST but the black ceramic adds a new dimension and really ups the game. It doesn't scratch, but my cat knocked it off my table a month ago which broke off a small part of the bracelet where it connects to the watch case. The repair costs were ridiculous (~ 25k USD).
3. AP 26622TI - Very nicely finished and the symmetry of the openwork is lovely. It's a very big watch though.
4. RM67-01 (titanium) - It's nicely finished but there really isn't all that much to see in terms of the openworked nature of it. It's a lovely watch, easy to wear because it's so thin and light. It's the one out of these 4 that I most frequently wear because it is very comfortable.

All I can say is wow. You have an incredible collection! We have the exact same taste but I’m not in your league. Feel free to post some pics. I’m obsessed with that flying tourb offshore. Hadn’t thought about that here, prob still too much money for me but that and the ceramic openwork are my two all time favorites. Hilarious about the cat- our cat somehow knows exactly what to do to get my attention!

Old 3 July 2024, 01:10 PM   #25
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
My thoughts as well. That particular RM I passed on, not my favorite, and the variety would be nice for the VC if you like VC. Your collection is fantastic!

You’ve had your new one for a week or so now - I know you’ve been trading/ trying a lot of them out. Do you think this rg one will last? What do you wear more that or your rm?

Old 3 July 2024, 04:01 PM   #26
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman

this is the one to get, definitely my favorite watch and would love one of these…unfortunately seems pretty impossible to get, at least for me haha no luck at the two boutiques i’ve tried so far
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 05:50 PM   #27
Brit78
"TRF" Member

Tough choice! If you love the new and old AP openworks, that might be your best bet. However, the VC perpetual openwork is stunning and could be a unique addition, especially if you've never had a VC. RM is always a statement piece. I'd lean towards AP if you're already passionate about them, but you can't go wrong with any of these!
Old 3 July 2024, 06:23 PM   #28
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Amazing collection ! The VC is beautiful !! I would lean towards the VC! Good luck!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:10 PM   #29
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Icon19

Quote:
You’ve had your new one for a week or so now - I know you’ve been trading/ trying a lot of them out. Do you think this rg one will last? What do you wear more that or your rm?

The RG RO is gorgeous, definitely more of a ‘trophy/fancy’ piece vs the RM, which I view as a more casual/fun piece, due to the colorful bands/crown and overall size. Based on that….(really too early to tell) the TI RM is more of a throw it on, gada type watch (for me), kind of like a SS Sub so to speak. So that would get more everyday wear at this point.
The only thing with the 11 series RM….it’s like wearing a Deepsea all the time.
I’ve contemplated swapping into a 72-01, but that swap would cost me dearly.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 11:15 PM   #30
Audevache
"TRF" Member

I really don’t get RM, so on my end it would be VC vs AP.

I own both the Overseas (dual time steel) and a 16202.

The AP skeletons are out of this world, but the Overseas is such an underrated model, so versatile with the quick change system, and you get the beautiful perpetual function as well, that I’d probably go for VC over AP here. But only very slightly. Best choice would probably be both, as they are actually quite complementary!

And both together probably aren’t more expensive than 1 RM.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote