The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2024, 01:26 AM   #91
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
I've dealt with many AP staff over the years and the staff at London esp AP House are the worst.
Why specifically do you feel that?

My own experiences for the past 3/4 years with APH London have been exemplary, as have many, many people I know.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:49 AM   #92
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Why specifically do you feel that?

My own experiences for the past 3/4 years with APH London have been exemplary, as have many, many people I know.
I too have only positive experiences from AP House London.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:26 AM   #93
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFG View Post
Meant, build a relationship. Started talking about different pieces and I'm open to going with offshore first but wasn't too big of a fan of how the code fit with those straps. Arman kept losing his mind how I would buy the 26240st blue dial 50th in the grey despite telling me that I would basically never be able to get one like that in the store anyway.. so I kept repeating how I wanted an AP and that was how I began my collection with the brand. He just could not comprehend why I didn't come by to say I'm interested before purchasing, knowing I would never receive it.. so I think that is where I lost all credibility at the boutique lol. Got to love AP staff sometimes..
Can't win them all - time to move to a different SA/boutique.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:37 AM   #94
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APman3000 View Post
It really just comes down to your boutique.
Yeah, a lot of things that are often perceived as AP policy really come down to region or specific boutique. E.g., many people have claimed that Starwheel allocations are limited to prior Code owners. The manager in our boutique was adamant that there's no such policy (from AP HQ).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 4 July 2024, 02:50 AM   #95
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Starting to get pissed at AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFG View Post
Looks like we both share the same thoughts and sort of experience haha. I do not want to enter any of the boutiques anymore, the vibe is so off if they think you will not sell your soul to the brand. If there is any hint of you thinking of selling, buying elsewhere, or any other outside thoughts mentioned - you basically get shunned for not being a permanent fan boy lol. It's a shame the watches are so nice but the experience doesn't always match.

I had a similar experience. Was fully committed to building a strong profile; bought a code, and a gem set piece. Then issues began. I wanted to move up the ladder quickly so I committed to a Concept as a 3rd piece when one was offered. Then they couldn’t deliver the piece after offering it to me, I assume they sold it to someone else but they kept me in limbo for like 6 months on a $250k watch saying it was coming it was coming. In between they offered the black/blue ceramic offshore only to call back later the same day and say the concept would be there the following week so they were taking back the offshore offer. Then the Concept never came…

At end of year they tried to make up for this with a ROC Blue dial, which I was happy to have but the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth.

Then the Concept came in January, but it wasn’t the one they originally offered it was a different one, so I didn’t want it. That to me was final straw after all this time to not deliver on the original promise was really frustrating. I swapped SAs because something was going on at the store management level that made me feel like I would never be a priority and I’m interested in high end watches not selling my soul for a simple Jumbo. What made it clear to me was while I was there looking at the Concept the Boutique Manager didn’t even come down to say hi or anything. Not to mention I had another SA in the store basically ask me out on a date and hit on me several times, putting me in the uncomfortable situation of not knowing if they wanted me as a client or to date me. I have a GF anyway and she wasn’t my type lol.

In between I built a relationship with RM and started a collecting journey there instead, they’ve been head and shoulders above in terms of service, generally being nice to deal with, and the pieces they’ve offered.

So after all this I sold the code and offshore to then get a text from the new SA asking if I sold my pieces. I said yes, would like to collect AP for a while but these were mistakes. This was after 9months for one and 1 year for the other both at substantial losses and were pieces AP had a hard time selling themselves. Didn’t like either of them and I couldn’t justify $150k sitting in a safe unworn.

Crazy thing is I’d still like to collect their watches but I will do it on my terms, gray market it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchman124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:53 AM   #96
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Can't win them all - time to move to a different SA/boutique.
Good thing that's the only one nearby!
PAFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:56 AM   #97
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
I had a similar experience. Was fully committed to building a strong profile; bought a code, and a gem set piece. Then issues began. I wanted to move up the ladder quickly so I committed to a Concept as a 3rd piece when one was offered. Then they couldn’t deliver the piece after offering it to me, I assume they sold it to someone else but they kept me in limbo for like 6 months on a $250k watch saying it was coming it was coming. In between they offered the black/blue ceramic offshore only to call back later the same day and say the concept would be there the following week so they were taking back the offshore offer. Then the Concept never came…

At end of year they tried to make up for this with a ROC Blue dial, which I was happy to have but the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth.

Then the Concept came in January, but it wasn’t the one they originally offered it was a different one, so I didn’t want it. That to me was final straw after all this time to not deliver on the original promise was really frustrating. I swapped SAs because something was going on at the store management level that made me feel like I would never be a priority and I’m interested in high end watches not selling my soul for a simple Jumbo. What made it clear to me was while I was there looking at the Concept the Boutique Manager didn’t even come down to say hi or anything. Not to mention I had another SA in the store basically ask me out on a date and hit on me several times, putting me in the uncomfortable situation of not knowing if they wanted me as a client or to date me. I have a GF anyway and she wasn’t my type lol.

In between I built a relationship with RM and started a collecting journey there instead, they’ve been head and shoulders above in terms of service, generally being nice to deal with, and the pieces they’ve offered.

So after all this I sold the code and offshore to then get a text from the new SA asking if I sold my pieces. I said yes, would like to collect AP for a while but these were mistakes. This was after 9months for one and 1 year for the other both at substantial losses and were pieces AP had a hard time selling themselves. Didn’t like either of them and I couldn’t justify $150k sitting in a safe unworn.

Crazy thing is I’d still like to collect their watches but I will do it on my terms, gray market it is.

Sounds like we both like the watches but not the people who work there. I will see you in the grey market! I think everyone has different experiences at different boutiques. However, at the end of the day.. it comes down to how much the SA or management likes you, thinks you will sell your soul to the brand, and if your initial impression comes off well.
PAFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 02:56 AM   #98
Jay66
"TRF" Member

A common theme I am seeing is that the bad reputation seems to be coming from US based Boutiques. I can also only report good things from the AP House in Munich for example.
Jay66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 04:23 PM   #99
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Get the AP from grey and move to Patek - different level.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 04:47 PM   #100
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Get the AP from grey and move to Patek - different level.

Comical... . like PP is any different
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 08:42 PM   #101
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I am in Canada and we have no AP boutique. Thats embarrassing. I have tried to establish relationships with AP boutiques while visiting the USA many times but get snubbed. So, I sent an email to the head of AP North America only to be told to go to my nearest boutique which could be the AP in NYC, and establish something there. Nonsense. It has become very difficult to procure AP in Canada unless I go grey. Looks like that's the avenue I will take.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 02:31 AM   #102
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Bouncing from place to place, SA to SA is surely not helping you. it is so cliche, but a good relationship with a SINGLE SA is your best bet. If you look at my pieces in my signature, you'll see I get only Royal Oaks and some pretty popular ones. That only happens cause my SA likes me and lobbys for me to get the goods. Even the watchmaker at my local house said I get the goods because my SA likes me and I got lucky cause he now happens to be the boutique manager.
My SA called me one day because he saw that there was a watch on wish list from a boutique in another state, he was kind of offended until I explained that must have been on there before I knew him when I was calling around to get a piece. He kindly suggested I dont do that in the future- that should tell you everything you need to know.
Furthermore, its weird but I think the code thing is a tell to them. Sure you bought a Code, but did you only do that to get your one royal oak and never come back again? They want repeat, passionate customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBeacher83 View Post
I’ve played the game with AP. Gone into many boutiques, chatted with sales reps, I’ve put my name down for a RO, I’ve even bought a Code. Still, anytime I ask to buy a RO I’m told they don’t have any to sell me. I just left the boutique in London and I felt they weren’t even interested in talking to me. I had to lead the whole conversation. AP is going to seriously alienate customers soon with the sales tactics they employ.
Old 5 July 2024, 06:24 AM   #103
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I am in Canada and we have no AP boutique. Thats embarrassing. I have tried to establish relationships with AP boutiques while visiting the USA many times but get snubbed. So, I sent an email to the head of AP North America only to be told to go to my nearest boutique which could be the AP in NYC, and establish something there. Nonsense. It has become very difficult to procure AP in Canada unless I go grey. Looks like that's the avenue I will take.
Have you looked into the AP nomad program? That might be your best route.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 08:32 PM   #104
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Have you looked into the AP nomad program? That might be your best route.
I have never heard of that. Brain, what is this in layman terms?
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 09:02 PM   #105
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post

Apologies for my ignorance, but do you move up the ladder by buying a RO Concept, or you have to move up the ladder to get a Concept?
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 10:06 PM   #106
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Comical... . like PP is any different

My experience with Patek has been wonderful. My experience with AP was horrendous. So yes, there is a difference.

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 10:17 PM   #107
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iten View Post
Apologies for my ignorance, but do you move up the ladder by buying a RO Concept, or you have to move up the ladder to get a Concept?

Yes and yes.

That being said, Concepts are usually highly expensive and highly depreciate. Therefore the amount of people that want to plonk down that kind of cash and are sometimes not afraid to lose $50-200k on a piece shrinks the potential market quite a bit.

I'm sure that's the type of customer that AP can't get enough of, so you'd first have to be offered one but also it moves you up quite a bit
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 12:14 AM   #108
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
My experience with Patek has been wonderful. My experience with AP was horrendous. So yes, there is a difference.

And there are many people with exact opposite experiences as you with AP and PP. it is almost like sales associates are humans and sometimes you get a bad one????
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 12:21 AM   #109
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
And there are many people with exact opposite experiences as you with AP and PP. it is almost like sales associates are humans and sometimes you get a bad one????
+1, it's all about the people. Looking back 5 years ago I had a great relationship with PP and a lukewarm one with AP. Now, after several staff turnovers, the relationships are the total opposite.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 01:46 AM   #110
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
+1, it's all about the people. Looking back 5 years ago I had a great relationship with PP and a lukewarm one with AP. Now, after several staff turnovers, the relationships are the total opposite.
To expand a little, it's about people on both sides of the table. I'm sure all the posters here are lovely folks, but some of the client behavior in boutiques is between ridiculous and offensive - yelling at staff, arguing about simple facts until they are blue in the face, feeling insulted when it turns out that rules apply (e.g., "by appointment only"), showing up with lawyer in tow,...
Old 6 July 2024, 02:36 AM   #111
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
U bought a code?
This should be automatic qualification for a jumbo.
Old 6 July 2024, 10:15 AM   #112
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Happy to see that your PP experience has been great. Mine was terrible until.about 2 years ago when I finally found a good AD through a referral that would take me in as a client. Up to that point PP AD's wouldn't sell me
ANY Patek's until I bought other brands they sold or jewelry from them. Even with a good AD, I'm taking the journey buying pieces from PP's other lines before being allocated a sports watch. So, the experience is not different from what some have posted about their AP experience. I firmly believe it comes down to people. That's both SA's and clients.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 6 July 2024, 11:45 AM   #113
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Happy to see that your PP experience has been great. Mine was terrible until.about 2 years ago when I finally found a good AD through a referral that would take me in as a client. Up to that point PP AD's wouldn't sell me
ANY Patek's until I bought other brands they sold or jewelry from them. Even with a good AD, I'm taking the journey buying pieces from PP's other lines before being allocated a sports watch. So, the experience is not different from what some have posted about their AP experience. I firmly believe it comes down to people. That's both SA's and clients.
Of course it comes down to people and anyone can have a positive or negative experience. Sometimes it is luck and who you get introduced to (have a friend who hit it off with an upper level and got cream of the crop pieces immediately). Or if you play for the Raiders you can get pretty much whatever you want.

If you notice Patek has been thinning the number of AD's the past few years (and most who have lost AD status were also selling jewelry and other watch brands). I don't think Patek was naive to what was going on. At least they are taking a step in the right direction to curb the "bundling" some dealers had been using/abusing.
Old 6 July 2024, 05:00 PM   #114
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it comes down to people and anyone can have a positive or negative experience. Sometimes it is luck and who you get introduced to (have a friend who hit it off with an upper level and got cream of the crop pieces immediately). Or if you play for the Raiders you can get pretty much whatever you want.

If you notice Patek has been thinning the number of AD's the past few years (and most who have lost AD status were also selling jewelry and other watch brands). I don't think Patek was naive to what was going on. At least they are taking a step in the right direction to curb the "bundling" some dealers had been using/abusing.

Agree with your points. I hope PP continues to weed out the bad AD's, but I wonder what they will do with one of their biggest AD chains that is deep into the bundling business. Time will tell.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #115
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Agree with your points. I hope PP continues to weed out the bad AD's, but I wonder what they will do with one of their biggest AD chains that is deep into the bundling business. Time will tell.

I’ve never tried to buy from these big chains because of this. And with recent acquisitions / mergers they may be deemed “too big to fail”.

Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #116
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with AP. Mine has been very different with AP house London, was allocated a Royal Oak as a first AP with no pressure to purchase other models. They did first allocate me a chronograph and 37mm which I turned down before being offered the Royal Oak. I think it can just be luck of the SA.