The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2024, 08:33 AM   #31
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMAC142 View Post
I would say no. If not hyped it would be like an average SS Rolex model. I definitely respect those that love this watch for what it is and its looks. For me it’s just a good looking watch that I wouldn’t ever buy based on my desire for it. I’d be willing to bet 50% or more that own this watch wouldn’t have purchased it if not for the hype and aftermarket value.
I posed this question to a friend that only collects hype pieces and he himself admitted that its a nice watch but he wouldn't be as head over heels if it didn't have all of the attention attached to it.

He's quite the contradiction because he says my Cartier pieces are too small for his 350lbs frame but is somehow still interested in one day owning a Cartier Crash

This whole conversation is what made me want to create this thread on TRF...

Old 4 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #32
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
The Santos is gorgeous, no Romans! The Daytona is lovely… for a Daytona. They don’t sing to me.
Wouldn't be interested in the original Cartier Santos as its way too bulky and I'm not a fan of the skeletonize'd roman numerals. Agreed! The Santos Dumont is a much more refined watch!

Old 4 July 2024, 08:39 AM   #33
rockysw
"TRF" Member

that Cartier is stunning. Very well done by cartier.

These two are very different watches. And yes part of this has to be the hard to get aspect of daytona which makes it popular but on the other hand it is hard to get because it is an awesome watch. And it has been popular since the 1990 and probably the first mass produced wait list watch from early 2000s.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 09:45 AM   #34
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
Due to the difficult to acquire nature of the steel Daytona some people have grown sour towards it, pretending not to like it because they know how much effort is involved to be able to acquire one.

Yeah…….No! What a ridiculous idea. If we aren’t Daytona fans, it’s because they are hard to get? Some of us aren’t sheep. As I mentioned, I much prefer a Speedy Pro! I do appreciate a nice Porsche 911, though.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 09:49 AM   #35
Rebar
"TRF" Member

I'm sure there are plenty of people that claim to dislike the Daytona because they can't get it, just as there are plenty of people that genuinely dislike it.

Key word there is "some people". I dont think it's ridiculous at all.
Rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 09:59 AM   #36
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresCassAt? View Post
I posed this question to a friend that only collects hype pieces and he himself admitted that its a nice watch but he wouldn't be as head over heels if it didn't have all of the attention attached to it.

He's quite the contradiction because he says my Cartier pieces are too small for his 350lbs frame but is somehow still interested in one day owning a Cartier Crash

Cartier crash on a 350lb frame?! Sheesh, that crash is going to look tiny
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:06 AM   #37
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I find the legibility of the white dial to not be great. It is a beautiful watch though and popular for a reason. I feel my BLNR is better looking (just my opinion). I have never been a fan of polished center link Oyster bracelets.

Now the full gold Daytona or the OF Daytona (pekachu dial specifically) oh I can totally get behind them! It just feels right to have this watch in PM. Steel pieces should be for beating up. YMMV

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:08 AM   #38
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresCassAt? View Post

Buy on hype. Sell on hype.

When you buy what the heart wants. You don't ever sell.

I have a similar friend. Has nearly every hype PM piece in the catalogue. I had a simple question for him - what do you wear on the daily? Pretty much only one watch - YM on OF.

TUDOR: M79030-B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:23 AM   #39
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

I have a black face 126....loved it the day I bought it and it's still my favorite watch over my 2 subs. Price has nothing to do with it. If it was 99 bucks like my first invicta I'd still love it.
Kingcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 11:38 AM   #40
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

I love the panda. It’s a stunning watch in my opinion.

That Cartier is awesome! I almost bought it in St Barths earlier this year! Decided to go with the rose gold automatic tank Louis. Wanted the classic first. This Santos is on my list! Well done.
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 01:06 PM   #41
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
I have a black face 126....loved it the day I bought it and it's still my favorite watch over my 2 subs. Price has nothing to do with it. If it was 99 bucks like my first invicta I'd still love it.
Great comment! Wore the invicta that looks like a panda for years. My goal was: when switched with the real deal, no one would know!
Then the hype hits…..lol. Still waiting on the real one.

To answer the OP’s question: its why Baskin Robins has 31 flavors my friend! Every one likes different things. Main thing is you like it.
(On a side note, bet i know someone who would buy the daytona should you tire of it)
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 03:14 PM   #42
karleone
"TRF" Member

Hey buddy! Congrats on the white 126500 and that beautiful Santos Dumont!
I have personally loved the Daytona since I got into watches and it’s been my grail watch for so many years! I dreamed about the 116520 when in catalogue but could not afford it. Then I got the black 116500 and recently the white 126500. What I love about the Daytona is the design and the fact that it’s a unique design across all the other Rolexes as being the only chronograph.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:50 PM   #43
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

You confirm that this watch is not being liked, because it is the bad copy of its predecessor, which only those who want to resell it like, but which unfortunately cannot sell as well as the discontinued 116500 panda, the watch that every enthusiast would like in his collection.
Redsub71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 07:52 PM   #44
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Big congrats!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 09:52 PM   #45
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watches. I get the Daytona and have owned them all in every metal but ultimately have always moved on. I would like to see so many of the Cartier watches in person but I do not have an AD close by.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2024, 10:22 PM   #46
stylinleems

Both watches are amazing! Congratulations!!
Old 4 July 2024, 11:41 PM   #47
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsub71 View Post
You confirm that this watch is not being liked, because it is the bad copy of its predecessor, which only those who want to resell it like, but which unfortunately cannot sell as well as the discontinued 116500 panda, the watch that every enthusiast would like in his collection.
I may have conveyed this wrong or you might have missed the mark in your response.

imo opinion the 126500 is just as sought after as the 116500. Although they have few differences for the most part they are very much the same piece. This post was more so to generalize the hype attached to the "panda" and how people felt about its accessibility vs aesthetic

Old 4 July 2024, 11:53 PM   #48
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

My least favorite Rolex model. No interest whatsoever. Don't understand the hype.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 12:40 AM   #49
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
That's a home run collection in itself. I don't engage with those who claim the Beatles or the Daytona are overrated.
Old 5 July 2024, 01:08 AM   #50
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsub71 View Post
Just stop the nonsense
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 01:23 AM   #51
corvax
"TRF" Member

Congratulations OP on a pair of nice watches. It's just unfortunate that you need to buy a $30k Cartier in order to buy a SS Daytona at MSRP but good on you for asking. If you don't ask, you won't get and they won't offer "from the goodness of their heart".

Maybe put it this way, you bought the Daytona at market price ($30k) and got the Cartier skeleton at "half off"
corvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 01:49 AM   #52
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Some of us aren’t sheep.

Because some of us like the Daytona, we are sheep? Talk about an absurd assumption on a Rolex forum

Explorer 1, Speedmaster... I'm sensing a theme here.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #53
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I’d much rather have the Cartier out of these.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 02:12 AM   #54
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Congrats!!!
Old 5 July 2024, 02:15 AM   #55
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Yeah…….No! What a ridiculous idea. If we aren’t Daytona fans, it’s because they are hard to get? Some of us aren’t sheep. As I mentioned, I much prefer a Speedy Pro! I do appreciate a nice Porsche 911, though.

Kat

I mean the Daytona is a nice watch and there’s nothing wrong with liking it. All Rolex watches with MSRP < market value are desired by a larger group of people because why not!

It doesn’t change the fact that these steel Daytonas are nice. I ended up trading mine to fund an AP purchase years ago, but it wasn’t that I didn’t like it I just would rather have the AP.

These days I’d rather have PM. If they make another YG model with a cool dial I’d get that, or I’d get the platinum. I think the platinum still trades for over MSRP but back in the day when it came out it was significantly discounted.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 04:01 AM   #56
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
Because some of us like the Daytona, we are sheep? Talk about an absurd assumption on a Rolex forum

Explorer 1, Speedmaster... I'm sensing a theme here.

No! The people who want it because of the hype are sheep! There are folks who see it as a “must have” in their collection. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate it. If I had won it in the TRF raffle, I’d keep it and wear it on occasion. I’m a big Speedmaster fan, and have owned many. Given the choice, I’d take another over a Daytona.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 04:33 AM   #57
Slackergirl
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Everose
Most skeleton dials i find hard to read, but not the Cartier. It is so so cool. Just a beautiful unique piece. Congrats on both!
Slackergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 04:37 AM   #58
Bucha
Banned

Watch: Tudor
Big Congrats!!!
Bucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 08:13 AM   #59
WheresCassAt?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvax View Post
Congratulations OP on a pair of nice watches. It's just unfortunate that you need to buy a $30k Cartier in order to buy a SS Daytona at MSRP but good on you for asking. If you don't ask, you won't get and they won't offer "from the goodness of their heart".

Maybe put it this way, you bought the Daytona at market price ($30k) and got the Cartier skeleton at "half off"
That's one way to look at it.

Put yourself in the shoes of an AD/SA how else would you choose how to "reward" a customer/client with the "opportunity" to purchase a piece that doubles in value you the moment said customer walks out the door?

We all know how much the TRF community despises this route but what are some other good business practices that AD's could use?

Old 5 July 2024, 03:21 PM   #60
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

One of the best watches ever made! No hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote