The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2024, 07:28 AM   #61
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

My AD that knows I have a SS Daytona always comments its a "decade long wait" for his customers.
Old 5 July 2024, 07:35 AM   #62
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Meh. It’s just a mass produced luxury watch. It’s not a life saving epi-pen and it doesn’t have any magical powers. Plus ADs don’t care about flipping. They care about one thing “money talks and BS walks”

They absolutely care about flipping. It creates major headaches for them with Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 07:45 AM   #63
Eyenigma
"TRF" Member

What's your time worth? If you have all the time in the world to wait, maybe you'll get lucky. I've resigned myself that I'll never get a call from an A/D for anything steel sports. So I've just bit the bullet and gone gray when I really have to have it.
Eyenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 08:39 AM   #64
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Can't stand the thought of going Grey

First off, I could purchase a SS Daytona from a grey dealer today (just wanted that out of the way ;)

I know it isn't nice to wish bad thoughts on people, but I hope the bottom continues to go out of the lux watch market so all the flippers would have to get other jobs.

I know the SS Daytona will still be hard to get regardless...

Again, I know it's me but every time I would look at the watch on my wrist I would think about how I got completely screwed paying so much over retail. It would take the pleasure out of it for me. I just hate the idea of helping the secondary market continue.

If a person bought grey...hey, good for you and God bless

I know that means I might never get the watch...oh well...such is life
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 08:53 AM   #65
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
First off, I could purchase a SS Daytona from a grey dealer today (just wanted that out of the way ;)

I know it isn't nice to wish bad thoughts on people, but I hope the bottom continues to go out of the lux watch market so all the flippers would have to get other jobs.

I know the SS Daytona will still be hard to get regardless...

Again, I know it's me but every time I would look at the watch on my wrist I would think about how I got completely screwed paying so much over retail. It would take the pleasure out of it for me. I just hate the idea of helping the secondary market continue.

If a person bought grey...hey, good for you and God bless

I know that means I might never get the watch...oh well...such is life
back in 2017-2018 before things started to get crazy a steel daytona went for around 16-19k on the grey market and you still couldn't get one without spending at least 25k at an AD. when bundling first became a thing some people had success getting a daytona with the purchase of a gold rolex, so at that time you were spending about 40k to get a daytona (more than what it costs on the grey market today)

if doomsday were to come and we went back to those times you would be paying the equivalent of 50k to get a daytona at msrp. even if you didn't have to buy a gold watch to get one and just had to spend 20k you'd spend 35k + tax which is still more than it costs to go grey today. so your post kinda makes no sense because you'll never be able to get a daytona for the actual msrp (under 20k today)

also these "flippers" you mention are actually normal people with regular jobs purposely not passing on the calls they get just to make a bit of profit on whatever watches have still been profitable. they're not full time resellers, those guys don't get calls from ADs, they just buy from the regular people who are the actual problem
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 09:13 AM   #66
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Not my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
back in 2017-2018 before things started to get crazy a steel daytona went for around 16-19k on the grey market and you still couldn't get one without spending at least 25k at an AD. when bundling first became a thing some people had success getting a daytona with the purchase of a gold rolex, so at that time you were spending about 40k to get a daytona (more than what it costs on the grey market today)

if doomsday were to come and we went back to those times you would be paying the equivalent of 50k to get a daytona at msrp. even if you didn't have to buy a gold watch to get one and just had to spend 20k you'd spend 35k + tax which is still more than it costs to go grey today. so your post kinda makes no sense because you'll never be able to get a daytona for the actual msrp (under 20k today)

also these "flippers" you mention are actually normal people with regular jobs purposely not passing on the calls they get just to make a bit of profit on whatever watches have still been profitable. they're not full time resellers, those guys don't get calls from ADs, they just buy from the regular people who are the actual problem
In 2016 I was offered a SS Daytona (black dial) from a AD (with a steel bezel) I passed, because I really didn't like the bezel, and really dislike the black dial. I had no history, and had been on the "list" for 2 years.

I could care less about the motivation, or "regular" job of resellers/regular joes. Call it what you want, whatever is driving the prices to 2 x retail (social media, grey, whatever) I hope it all moves on to something else.
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 09:22 AM   #67
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
In 2016 I was offered a SS Daytona (black dial) from a AD (with a steel bezel) I passed, because I really didn't like the bezel, and really dislike the black dial. I had no history, and had been on the "list" for 2 years.

I could care less about the motivation, or "regular" job of resellers/regular joes. Call it what you want, whatever is driving the prices to 2 x retail (social media, grey, whatever) I hope it all moves on to something else.
yeah i mean the steel bezel is a different story because it's been around for decades while the ceramic hasn't and has sold for a premium since the day it was released. it's not really relevant to the model sold today

anyway you can keep hoping and waiting, maybe in 10 years we'll be able to get one at msrp but by then msrp will be in the 20s and you'd have lost 10 years of enjoyment
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 09:39 AM   #68
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I remember when I got mine.

Went into the Dealer and was chatting with my usual SA. The manager came over and said "I have something you might be interested in." He stepped in the back and came out with a white dial Daytona in his hands.

I wasn't actually in the market, but I did buy it on the spot. Still have it.

Daytonaface-1.jpg
Old 5 July 2024, 10:54 AM   #69
Tqmb79
"TRF" Member

There is no waitlist. It depends on your relationship with the store and your spend history. Took me 2 years but have fairly decent spend history and I know my SA well
Tqmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 11:08 AM   #70
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tqmb79 View Post
There is no waitlist. It depends on your relationship with the store and your spend history. Took me 2 years but have fairly decent spend history and I know my SA well
I would agree there is no "list." Either you have a relationship with a decent spend history or a perceived potential to spend.
4reRlxGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 03:39 PM   #71
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
I got both my Daytona as first Rolexes from AD (I have 3 ADs)

116518 OF was offered to me as walk-in in 2021. Absolutely crazy.
126500, took 2 days after inquiry.

The new platinum Daytona though, been waiting since release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2024, 07:17 PM   #72
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

anyway you can keep hoping and waiting, maybe in 10 years we'll be able to get one at msrp but by then msrp will be in the 20s and you'd have lost 10 years of enjoyment
That’s exactly where I am at with watches theses days. Life is too short
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 11:21 AM   #73
Daydate40cal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I broke down today and got on the waitlist for the SS Rolex Daytona. I figured my stock has never been higher with my local AD and thought now is the time to take advantage of it. What is the over/under on how long the wait will be? The SA mentioned two years, but I expect it to be longer.
2 years minimum
Daydate40cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2024, 11:53 AM   #74
Mimar2910
"TRF" Member

It all depends on the AD and how they Operate, It could come before the 2 years, be hopeful.
Mimar2910 is offline   Reply With Quote