The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 July 2024, 07:19 AM   #1
ScarletFire
"TRF" Member

NYT Reports String of Rolex Robberies in NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/05/n...hare&sgrp=c-cb

Seems that the robbers know their watches and are targeting Rolex, AP, and Patek.

I have also been hearing anecdotal stories of thieves sitting in restaurants to spot watches, and then robbing people on their walk home.

Unfortunately, it’s been making me think twice about wearing my watches before going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 July 2024, 07:42 AM   #2
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Doesn’t sound good at all.
Old 7 July 2024, 07:48 AM   #3
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

These are sophisticated organized crime rings and the watches end up overseas. Obviously targeting the heavy hitters as these are easier to identify and a much bigger score.

Maybe take extra care if you are wearing a heavy hitter, and ironically you might have to be more careful if you are out in a nicer part of town or spending some time in a nice restaurant because of the spotter factor you mentioned.

I probably wouldn't be that concerned if you are wearing an older Explorer I or a random Omega.
Old 7 July 2024, 07:49 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hit a paywall, but we’ve had a few threads about this recently.

It seems as though one “group” of people are involved in these robberies. I hope they are caught before anyone gets hurt.
Old 7 July 2024, 07:53 AM   #5
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Bunch of low life classless punks. Btw read the article comments and people talking about tracking devices to put on your watch. Anyone heard of that?
Old 7 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Rebar
"TRF" Member

Read that same article yesterday and then heard about another watch robbery at gunpoint in Williamsburg last night. Wore my Omega New York Boutique Edition Seamaster out to the same neighborhood for piece of mind and had no issues.

Overall I try to be pretty conscious of where I'm going, how I'm getting around, and the people I'll encounter. Only wear my DJ when I am confident I'll be safe. That usually means not wearing it at night in establishments or areas that I'm not intimately familiar with. Looks better in the daylight anyways :)
Old 7 July 2024, 08:04 AM   #7
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Bunch of low life classless punks. Btw read the article comments and people talking about tracking devices to put on your watch. Anyone heard of that?
Not really common knowledge and SA’s won’t admit to it but Mayors had them in the display case Rolex watch pillows. On smash and grabs they take the whole thing.
Old 7 July 2024, 08:29 AM   #8
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Here is the article:

Moped-Riding Thieves Frighten Diners at Upscale N.Y.C. Restaurants
In Williamsburg and Manhattan, robbers have stolen watches worth tens of thousands of dollars before fleeing on motorbikes.

A long dining table with hanging lights at a restaurant. Carafes of tap water are spaced along the table before patrons.
At Birds of a Feather in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, thieves took just 40 seconds to rob men sitting at a table near the door.Credit...Michelle V. Agins/The New York Times
Maia Coleman
By Maia Coleman
July 5, 2024
Not 10 minutes into date night, Gabe Thomas and his girlfriend, Shirley Yu, found themselves crouched under their table at Birds of a Feather, a sleek Chinese restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where a plate of pea shoots costs $21.

Just 20 feet away, a man wearing a mask brandished a gun in the crowded dining room and with a henchman grabbed two phones and a watch from three men at a table near the front door.

Diners dashed into the kitchen. Chairs toppled. Glasses shattered. A cacophony of screams filled the room.

The perpetrators quick-walked out and fled on a moped, leaving behind a half-empty dining room where a handful of unfired bullets had fallen to the floor. The stickup took less than 40 seconds.

The robbery in the heart of Williamsburg — a once-bohemian enclave in North Brooklyn now home to designer clothing stores and glassy towers — alarmed and unsettled both foodies and residents. And it was just one in a string of similar robberies in and around some of Brooklyn’s and Lower Manhattan’s most in-vogue establishments in the past month. In each case, the perpetrators have swiped luxury watches from diners, according to the police, including, in one episode, a timepiece worth $100,000.

Such crimes are unusual in the affluent neighborhoods that have been targeted, rare incursions of the city’s troubles into its glittering play spots. And they have lit up message boards, receiving the kind of outsize attention — and outrage — that everyday crimes in New York’s poorer neighborhoods often do not. The thefts have propelled persistent grousing that the city is slipping into lawlessness, a perception that no recitation of contrary statistics has dispelled.

The robberies follow the same pattern: Two men, one carrying a gun, steal belongings from restaurant patrons before fleeing, often via moped or dirt bike, according to interviews and surveillance footage. Most of the robberies have happened between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. and have targeted restaurants that attract celebrities and Brooklyn’s young creative types.

Marlow and Sons, an oyster bar just 10 minutes from Birds of a Feather, was hit in the early evening on May 31. A man approached a 38-year-old man and a 40-year-old man outside the restaurant with a gun and demanded their watches, the police said. He took a Rolex and an Audemars Piguet, worth $40,000 collectively, before fleeing on a “two-wheeled vehicle” with another person, the authorities said.

About three weeks later, a similar heist was reported outside Carbone, an Italian restaurant in Greenwich Village with a dress code — “any guest who does not appear sufficiently well-presented may be refused entry” — and an exclusive reservation list. There, two men robbed a 39-year-old man of his $100,000 Patek Philippe watch at gunpoint, the police said.

The theft at Birds of a Feather took place three days later, the only one of the recent robberies to occur inside a dining room. Then, late last Thursday, the police said that two people riding a moped and carrying a gun stole a watch and a purse from a 29-year-old man and 32-year-old woman on the corner of Manhattan and Norman Avenues in Greenpoint, a Brooklyn neighborhood just north of Williamsburg. The pair was en route from Twins Lounge, a popular spot nearby, to another cocktail bar down the street, according to Greenpointers, a local news website.

No arrests have been made in any of the robberies, the police said. The Police Department did not say whether the four similar thefts were connected.

“We haven’t had crime like this penetrate the neighborhood in a very long time,” said Allyson Stone, a board member for the North Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, who attributed the trend to the area’s relative wealth. The median household income in Williamsburg and Greenpoint in 2022 was $98,750, about 27 percent higher than the citywide median, data from the Furman Center at New York University shows.

The crimes have put North Brooklyn on high alert, according to residents and business owners.

“It did surprise me in a neighborhood like Williamsburg,” said Mr. Thomas, who witnessed the Birds of a Feather robbery. It’s a “higher income, more gentrified neighborhood,” he said. Local residents “have an expectation that, like, that kind of stuff doesn’t happen.”

But thefts of luxury watches are not a new occurrence in major cities like New York. After the coronavirus pandemic, police departments reported a sharp rise in thefts of luxury watches, which are light and difficult to trace and therefore ideal targets.

Sean Wilson, 28, who witnessed the robbery at Marlow and Sons while dining nearby with his fiancée, said that they have begun dining earlier and leaving their valuables, including her diamond ring, at home. “I don’t think that was a thought that I’ve ever really had,” he said.

Robberies in New York City so far this year have risen 4.9 percent from the same period last year, according to the Police Department. In the 90th Precinct, which includes Marlow and Sons and Birds of a Feather, robberies are up 11.2 percent.

Yiming Wang, who owns Birds of a Feather with her husband, Xian Zhang, said they were taking safety precautions after the theft, including upgrading the restaurant’s surveillance system and supporting their employees, some of whom were injured during the commotion. Ms. Wang said they even considered hiring a security guard.

Major Food Group, which owns Carbone, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A representative from Marlow and Sons declined to comment.

But Andrew Rigie, the executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, said that though the string of robberies had sparked concern, that was no reason for New Yorkers to stop dining out.

“There’s more than 25,000 restaurants across the city of New York with millions of people eating out all the time without incident,” he said. “People should not be worried about going out to eat.”

On a recent humid evening at Carbone, a stream of women in slinky dresses filtered into the candlelit restaurant with their male counterparts. Inside the outdoor dining shed, patrons clinked wine glasses over white tablecloths.

Ryan Elberg, 41, said that as someone who enjoys nice watches, he was concerned when he first heard about the robbery, but it hadn’t deterred him. “I figured lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice,” he said. After reflecting, he added: “Get insurance on your watch,” punctuating his advice with an expletive.

Nick Khera, 40, in town from Miami, heard about the robbery at dinner that night. A fellow customer had warned him to wait inside the restaurant until his ride was ready, and after dinner he rushed to a waiting car.

Across the bridge in Williamsburg, dinner rush at Birds of a Feather was in full swing. Customers, many clad in linen, sipped beers and slurped dumplings near the restaurant’s large glass windows.

Steve Zofcin, 33, a 13-year neighborhood resident who was walking by with friends, said he thought the robbery had received more attention than it deserved because it happened in a predominantly white neighborhood.

“That’s just part of living in a city,” he said. “You’re more likely to get bit by a person in New York than a shark.”
Old 7 July 2024, 08:37 AM   #9
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassian739 View Post
Here is the article:

Moped-Riding Thieves Frighten Diners at Upscale N.Y.C. Restaurants
In Williamsburg and Manhattan, robbers have stolen watches worth tens of thousands of dollars before fleeing on motorbikes.

A long dining table with hanging lights at a restaurant. Carafes of tap water are spaced along the table before patrons.
At Birds of a Feather in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, thieves took just 40 seconds to rob men sitting at a table near the door.Credit...Michelle V. Agins/The New York Times
Maia Coleman
By Maia Coleman
July 5, 2024
Not 10 minutes into date night, Gabe Thomas and his girlfriend, Shirley Yu, found themselves crouched under their table at Birds of a Feather, a sleek Chinese restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where a plate of pea shoots costs $21.

Just 20 feet away, a man wearing a mask brandished a gun in the crowded dining room and with a henchman grabbed two phones and a watch from three men at a table near the front door.

Diners dashed into the kitchen. Chairs toppled. Glasses shattered. A cacophony of screams filled the room.

The perpetrators quick-walked out and fled on a moped, leaving behind a half-empty dining room where a handful of unfired bullets had fallen to the floor. The stickup took less than 40 seconds.

The robbery in the heart of Williamsburg — a once-bohemian enclave in North Brooklyn now home to designer clothing stores and glassy towers — alarmed and unsettled both foodies and residents. And it was just one in a string of similar robberies in and around some of Brooklyn’s and Lower Manhattan’s most in-vogue establishments in the past month. In each case, the perpetrators have swiped luxury watches from diners, according to the police, including, in one episode, a timepiece worth $100,000.

Such crimes are unusual in the affluent neighborhoods that have been targeted, rare incursions of the city’s troubles into its glittering play spots. And they have lit up message boards, receiving the kind of outsize attention — and outrage — that everyday crimes in New York’s poorer neighborhoods often do not. The thefts have propelled persistent grousing that the city is slipping into lawlessness, a perception that no recitation of contrary statistics has dispelled.

The robberies follow the same pattern: Two men, one carrying a gun, steal belongings from restaurant patrons before fleeing, often via moped or dirt bike, according to interviews and surveillance footage. Most of the robberies have happened between 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. and have targeted restaurants that attract celebrities and Brooklyn’s young creative types.

Marlow and Sons, an oyster bar just 10 minutes from Birds of a Feather, was hit in the early evening on May 31. A man approached a 38-year-old man and a 40-year-old man outside the restaurant with a gun and demanded their watches, the police said. He took a Rolex and an Audemars Piguet, worth $40,000 collectively, before fleeing on a “two-wheeled vehicle” with another person, the authorities said.

About three weeks later, a similar heist was reported outside Carbone, an Italian restaurant in Greenwich Village with a dress code — “any guest who does not appear sufficiently well-presented may be refused entry” — and an exclusive reservation list. There, two men robbed a 39-year-old man of his $100,000 Patek Philippe watch at gunpoint, the police said.

The theft at Birds of a Feather took place three days later, the only one of the recent robberies to occur inside a dining room. Then, late last Thursday, the police said that two people riding a moped and carrying a gun stole a watch and a purse from a 29-year-old man and 32-year-old woman on the corner of Manhattan and Norman Avenues in Greenpoint, a Brooklyn neighborhood just north of Williamsburg. The pair was en route from Twins Lounge, a popular spot nearby, to another cocktail bar down the street, according to Greenpointers, a local news website.

No arrests have been made in any of the robberies, the police said. The Police Department did not say whether the four similar thefts were connected.

“We haven’t had crime like this penetrate the neighborhood in a very long time,” said Allyson Stone, a board member for the North Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, who attributed the trend to the area’s relative wealth. The median household income in Williamsburg and Greenpoint in 2022 was $98,750, about 27 percent higher than the citywide median, data from the Furman Center at New York University shows.

The crimes have put North Brooklyn on high alert, according to residents and business owners.

“It did surprise me in a neighborhood like Williamsburg,” said Mr. Thomas, who witnessed the Birds of a Feather robbery. It’s a “higher income, more gentrified neighborhood,” he said. Local residents “have an expectation that, like, that kind of stuff doesn’t happen.”

But thefts of luxury watches are not a new occurrence in major cities like New York. After the coronavirus pandemic, police departments reported a sharp rise in thefts of luxury watches, which are light and difficult to trace and therefore ideal targets.

Sean Wilson, 28, who witnessed the robbery at Marlow and Sons while dining nearby with his fiancée, said that they have begun dining earlier and leaving their valuables, including her diamond ring, at home. “I don’t think that was a thought that I’ve ever really had,” he said.

Robberies in New York City so far this year have risen 4.9 percent from the same period last year, according to the Police Department. In the 90th Precinct, which includes Marlow and Sons and Birds of a Feather, robberies are up 11.2 percent.

Yiming Wang, who owns Birds of a Feather with her husband, Xian Zhang, said they were taking safety precautions after the theft, including upgrading the restaurant’s surveillance system and supporting their employees, some of whom were injured during the commotion. Ms. Wang said they even considered hiring a security guard.

Major Food Group, which owns Carbone, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A representative from Marlow and Sons declined to comment.

But Andrew Rigie, the executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, said that though the string of robberies had sparked concern, that was no reason for New Yorkers to stop dining out.

“There’s more than 25,000 restaurants across the city of New York with millions of people eating out all the time without incident,” he said. “People should not be worried about going out to eat.”

On a recent humid evening at Carbone, a stream of women in slinky dresses filtered into the candlelit restaurant with their male counterparts. Inside the outdoor dining shed, patrons clinked wine glasses over white tablecloths.

Ryan Elberg, 41, said that as someone who enjoys nice watches, he was concerned when he first heard about the robbery, but it hadn’t deterred him. “I figured lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice,” he said. After reflecting, he added: “Get insurance on your watch,” punctuating his advice with an expletive.

Nick Khera, 40, in town from Miami, heard about the robbery at dinner that night. A fellow customer had warned him to wait inside the restaurant until his ride was ready, and after dinner he rushed to a waiting car.

Across the bridge in Williamsburg, dinner rush at Birds of a Feather was in full swing. Customers, many clad in linen, sipped beers and slurped dumplings near the restaurant’s large glass windows.

Steve Zofcin, 33, a 13-year neighborhood resident who was walking by with friends, said he thought the robbery had received more attention than it deserved because it happened in a predominantly white neighborhood.

“That’s just part of living in a city,” he said. “You’re more likely to get bit by a person in New York than a shark.”
Get insurance on your watch - the best advice here. Also, why do they take phones? Doesn’t seem like that is worth hardly anything and how can you reuse them, plus there is tracking on phones.
Old 7 July 2024, 08:51 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
No easy solution to this. At some point it will not be possible to wear certain watches all the time anyplace, if we are not there already.
Old 7 July 2024, 08:54 AM   #11
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

Same is going on in LA. It’s on the news almost daily. Not only did I insure everything but I picked up a certain certificate…
Old 7 July 2024, 09:09 AM   #12
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyPlanes View Post
Same is going on in LA. It’s on the news almost daily. Not only did I insure everything but I picked up a certain certificate…
What is a certain certificate?
Old 7 July 2024, 09:12 AM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I visit New York at least once a year and have always worn my nice watches. I don’t normally hang out at the hoity toity restaurants/clubs, I doubt “spotters” frequent the places I go.
It’s a big city, statistically one of the safest. Use common sense and practice situational awareness, the odds are on your side. And yes my watches are insured.
Old 7 July 2024, 09:25 AM   #14
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Keep your head on a swivel and your watches insured.
Old 7 July 2024, 09:38 AM   #15
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
My guess is concealed carry...
Old 7 July 2024, 10:19 AM   #16
RotorSelfWinding
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
The one that gives you false sense of security but drastically increases your likelihood to die violently.
Closed Thread