The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 July 2024, 09:23 AM   #1
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Patek market is rapidly changing

what a difference 6 months makes. My local AD calls today and offers me a selection of pieces 5524r, 5524g, 6007g, 5226g. Was also told a 5205 could be had this year too.

Mind you these pieces are all going well below retail, especially the 5524 variants, but I have never purchased from them so they clearly offered these to existing customers who all decided to pass. a year ago you couldn't get any of these less desirable pieces, but evidently you can walk in and pick em up now LOL! sign of the times
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:12 AM   #2
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
Well right or wrong, I think the softening market is a great thing
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:52 AM   #3
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
5524 is sick. But not at retail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 11:45 AM   #4
funkright
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs. All of them!
Now, the 5205G...

That's a watch I would gladly have on my wrist

One day

But, not at retail...
funkright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 12:09 PM   #5
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Our new PP boutique opens here next month. I am really curious to see what they say in terms of availability and waitlists. They will have almost 30 pieces to try on as exhibitions.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 01:48 PM   #6
s14roller
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth was offered a 5205 at an AD I never did business with a year ago. Any of these pieces probably weren’t that hard to get even more than 6 months back
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 02:09 PM   #7
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

I got offered a 6119r or 5524r last November.

This was after an initial visit that left a horrible taste in my mouth. No thanks I hope they get their act together, fire the staff, or shut down.
Old 9 July 2024, 02:23 PM   #8
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
5524 is

lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 06:37 PM   #9
bob101
"TRF" Member

It’s nice to get offered pieces retail but it’s at the point where those constant year on year ~8% increases are just ridiculous and so much value at market right now. Make sure you really love these pieces if spending big money retail I reckon..
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 07:15 PM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

At my former AD many of these and other less desirable Pateks could easily be had throughout the hype. I say former AD as they got discontinued in 2024. Over here sports watches had become hard to get earlier than in the US but the overall Patek hype that followed seems to have been less crazy.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:03 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not buy above market value. If you could get a watch that is good through one of our Trusted Sellers and save thousands that is what I would do. If utilizing an AD then get a piece that you really want and has value at or above retail.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 10:16 PM   #12
IGY
"TRF" Member

I understand that this is a watch forum and not an economy / investment forum. But let's just say that people interested in reading the tea leaves of the luxury goods / luxury watch markets could learn a lot from reading on what is happening to the global economy. There are also some major changes afoot.

I'd advice anyone playing in today's watch market only do so from pocket money and they should consider it expenditure on leisure interests. Fortunately I think most people on this forum already understand that perfectly well.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 03:28 AM   #13
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
I understand that this is a watch forum and not an economy / investment forum. But let's just say that people interested in reading the tea leaves of the luxury goods / luxury watch markets could learn a lot from reading on what is happening to the global economy. There are also some major changes afoot.

I'd advice anyone playing in today's watch market only do so from pocket money and they should consider it expenditure on leisure interests. Fortunately I think most people on this forum already understand that perfectly well.
spot on
Old 10 July 2024, 03:31 AM   #14
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkright View Post
That's a watch I would gladly have on my wrist

One day

But, not at retail...
Agree 100%... now depending on how desperate these ADs are to move these pieces as the market continues to reprice, there are interesting scenarios that can play out
Old 10 July 2024, 03:38 AM   #15
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

I wish my AD would offer me the 5226G. First inquired in October 2023 and still waiting. But I get the sense that my AD really wants me to buy jewelry before they offer me anything.
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 03:48 AM   #16
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactplayer View Post
I wish my AD would offer me the 5226G. First inquired in October 2023 and still waiting. But I get the sense that my AD really wants me to buy jewelry before they offer me anything.
Never by Jewelry .. this was my easiest allocation every .. even easier than a DJ .

Amazing piece and love it . but no need for a premium . specially that it sells 7-9k below retail ATM
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 03:53 AM   #17
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
Never by Jewelry .. this was my easiest allocation every .. even easier than a DJ .

Amazing piece and love it . but no need for a premium . specially that it sells 7-9k below retail ATM
Agreed 100%. I can be patient and will wait for them to offer or just buy at a discount grey like you said.
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 04:38 AM   #18
iginut
"TRF" Member

I agree with this post. I've been offered nearly every typical watch including some grand complications apart of course from Aquanauts and Nautialis.
iginut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 04:45 AM   #19
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
How did you build that relationship where the AD calls you?
temporaltactix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 05:46 AM   #20
iginut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaltactix View Post
How did you build that relationship where the AD calls you?
I attend every exhibition at the AD, talk knowledgeably about the brand, talk about the museum in Geneva with the sales people etc. Just build up a relationship.
Old 10 July 2024, 06:24 AM   #21
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iginut View Post
I agree with this post. I've been offered nearly every typical watch including some grand complications apart of course from Aquanauts and Nautialis.
Maybe the 20% reduction in UK AD's is having an impact on the remaining AD's allocations?
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 05:27 PM   #22
pam66
"TRF" Member

currently every non-aqua non-nauti PP south of MR is available below retail from the grey. a big german chain of ADs even advertises their currently available models on their webpage and it contains references that were totally unavailable from the ADs a year ago.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 05:54 PM   #23
youknowwhy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
currently every non-aqua non-nauti PP south of MR is available below retail from the grey. a big german chain of ADs even advertises their currently available models on their webpage and it contains references that were totally unavailable from the ADs a year ago.
Which german chain are you referring to?
Thanks
youknowwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:24 PM   #24
Unwind_Asia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who?
Unwind_Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:26 PM   #25
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowwhy View Post
Which german chain are you referring to?
Thanks
Try Rüschenbeck.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 10:47 PM   #26
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Well, 5524 was always a slow seller. Dealers just pretended it was in demand because that’s what dealers used to do in this crazy market.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 11:34 PM   #27
Mhardy56789
"TRF" Member

Anyone got any views on the 5212a availability in the midlands area in the UK. Saw one recently at my local AD during the PP exhibition that they had and really liked it.
Mhardy56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 12:57 AM   #28
iginut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Today I was offered the choice of nearly any watch (not aqua or nauti).. And I'm not a big a fish at all.

Any ideas what you would go for? I have wrists on the smaller side so prefer sub 40mm.
Old 11 July 2024, 01:10 AM   #29
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iginut View Post
Any ideas what you would go for? I have wrists on the smaller side so prefer sub 40mm.
This is the boat I am in 36-38mm is the sweet spot for me and so little caters to that. I do think they brands are changing and acknowledging the shift back to slightly small more classic sizes. I keep going back to wanting a 3940 just for the size. I'm being patient and seeing what happens with the October drop and then W&W next Spring before going all in on some pieces. I got a subtle hint from a response from someone at Vacheron that they understand the current Overseas is too large and sounded like a 37mm non diamond option might be on the horizon.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 01:43 AM   #30
iginut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
This is the boat I am in 36-38mm is the sweet spot for me and so little caters to that. I do think they brands are changing and acknowledging the shift back to slightly small more classic sizes. I keep going back to wanting a 3940 just for the size. I'm being patient and seeing what happens with the October drop and then W&W next Spring before going all in on some pieces. I got a subtle hint from a response from someone at Vacheron that they understand the current Overseas is too large and sounded like a 37mm non diamond option might be on the horizon.
Same, I think I'm going to wait it out and hope smaller men's models get released. The sterns have big wrists so I hope they don't mind catering for us smaller wrist sizes!