The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2024, 10:18 AM   #61
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
It gives me the feel of being designed by a management team in a boardroom who voted on some ‘cool’ marketing features and then got another department to make it.

The design has no cohesion, makes no statement, there is no genius mind behind it, and it will be ‘slept on’ forever because of this; put simply it is good but not great, and for the money it needs to be great.
that's actually not too far from the truth. FHB has actually done interviews where he talked about locking in some watchmakers into a room and told them to only come out when they finished designing a new watch, which became the code 11.59. I can't find the interview, and I don't remember if he said it in a joking tone or not, but pretty funny regardless

it's a great watch though, just not a good value at msrp
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 07:44 PM   #62
Audevache
"TRF" Member

A raving review of the latest Code models was just published on Revolution Watch.

https://revolutionwatch.com/audemars-piguet-code-1159/

Unfortunately, the article is written in such a way that could come straight out of AP‘s PR Department. Makes me wonder if Wei Koh is trying to get an accelerated allocation of the latest Openworked RO?
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2024, 08:37 PM   #63
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
A raving review of the latest Code models was just published on Revolution Watch.

Unfortunately, the article is written in such a way that could come straight out of AP‘s PR Department. Makes me wonder if Wei Koh is trying to get an accelerated allocation of the latest Openworked RO?
Watch "journalism" isn't really much of a thing, although Wei Koh's article on the self-inflicted demise of Baselworld was entertaining (if one didn't mind the expletives).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 01:11 AM   #64
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm sorry but what kind of reach-around "journalistic article" is this???

I've gotten lost in the amount of superlatives thrown around in this piece of gushing desperation to get Koh another sought after piece for being an influencer...

"Collective gasp" when it launched? Yes but not because of the awesome case construction but because of the hideous dials and the price point.

Now even the fact these are stamped dials is obfuscated by describing them as "hand carved". Yes the die may be, the rest is stamped like a tin...

Goes to show reporting integrity is no longer existing in the watch world
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 01:15 AM   #65
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post

I've gotten lost in the amount of superlatives thrown around in this piece of gushing desperation to get Koh another sought after piece for being an influencer...

"Collective gasp" when it launched? Yes but not because of the awesome case construction but because of the hideous dials and the price point.

Now even the fact these are stamped dials is obfuscated by describing them as "hand carved". Yes the die may be, the rest is stamped like a tin...

Goes to show reporting integrity is no longer existing in the watch world
Or maybe, just maybe, the rest of the world has moved past SIHH 2019 and the code is a genuinely good watch now.
Old 10 July 2024, 01:48 AM   #66
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
In fairness, the other articles ("Omega’s Olympic Legacy: A Century of Precision Timekeeping", "Why Rolex’s Sailing Connection Is About More Than the Yacht-Master", "What Panerai’s Insane Navy SEALs Experience Is Really Like") seem to follow similarly high standards...
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 02:52 AM   #67
Mighty_Kraken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, the rest of the world has moved past SIHH 2019 and the code is a genuinely good watch now.
Or maybe not.
Mighty_Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 03:14 AM   #68
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Kraken View Post
Or maybe not.
Or yes....
gretch6364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 06:02 AM   #69
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Look I'm not saying the new codes aren't a massive improvement and esp the Chronos I find very appealing.

I am just saying this piece is laughable. Like why have a writer when it would make an AP marketing director blush to read so much fluff in one article...
Old 10 July 2024, 07:19 AM   #70
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I actually like the code, but this article does read like it was written by ChatGPT
Old 10 July 2024, 07:29 AM   #71
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
I actually like the code, but this article does read like it was written by ChatGPT

That is what ChatGPT generated for me - look AP now please send me a new sand gold tourb!!!

In 2019, Audemars Piguet unveiled the Code 11.59 series, a bold and exquisite addition to its distinguished catalog of luxury timepieces. This release was more than just a new line; it was a testament to the brand’s relentless pursuit of innovation and exceptional craftsmanship. The Code 11.59 series immediately captured the attention of horology enthusiasts worldwide, standing apart with its distinct identity while paying homage to the brand’s rich heritage.

At the heart of the Code 11.59 collection is the remarkable craftsmanship that Audemars Piguet is renowned for. Each watch in the series exemplifies meticulous attention to detail and the highest standards of watchmaking. The intricate work is evident in every aspect, from the beautifully polished surfaces to the intricately designed dials. The series features a variety of complications, including perpetual calendars, chronographs, and tourbillons, each showcasing the technical prowess of Audemars Piguet’s master watchmakers.

A standout feature of the Code 11.59 watches is the innovative octagonal case design, which ingeniously blends traditional and contemporary elements. This unique case shape draws inspiration from Audemars Piguet’s iconic Royal Oak series, yet it stands alone in its originality. The octagonal middle case is encased within a round bezel and case back, creating a harmonious balance between geometric precision and flowing curves. This duality not only enhances the visual appeal but also showcases the brand’s ability to push the boundaries of conventional watch design.

The Code 11.59 series marks a significant departure from the legendary Royal Oak line, establishing its own identity within the Audemars Piguet family. While the Royal Oak is celebrated for its rugged elegance and sporty aesthetic, the Code 11.59 embodies a more refined and sophisticated ethos. This new line caters to a different audience, offering a fresh perspective on luxury watchmaking. The collection’s name, “Code 11.59,” itself is a nod to the brand’s forward-thinking vision, representing the last minute before a new day—a metaphor for the dawn of a new era in Audemars Piguet’s illustrious history.

In conclusion, the launch of the Code 11.59 series in 2019 was a masterstroke by Audemars Piguet, showcasing exceptional craftsmanship, a striking octagonal case design, and a distinct departure from the Royal Oak line. It underscores the brand’s dedication to innovation and excellence, setting a new benchmark in the world of luxury watchmaking. This collection is not just a testament to Audemars Piguet’s heritage but also a bold statement of its future aspirations.
Old 10 July 2024, 08:33 AM   #72
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

After going to the AP Boutique on 57th NYC and trying on the 11.59 here’s my unbiased, facts-only opinion:
The list prices were like $26K for the stainless 3 hand basic watch and went to about $700K+ (Seven Hundred Thousand Plus) for the Ultra Complications versions!!!
The majority of the watches are PM - so that is why the list price is so high - AP does have costs to produce and, apparently, it does take weeks to months to complete each watch.
That said, the market has spoken, and it ALWAYS has the final say!!!
Thus, the prices are where they are, which is about 30-50% off MSRP for pre-owned and probably like 10-20% off MSRP BNIB if you know where to look.
My take is that if you really love the look (it is a fairly large case), then buying pre-owned is the way to go. It is just foolish to buy BNIB and then have depreciation sink in very fast to the tune of 30-50%…….
Caveat Emptor to any buyer!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 09:39 AM   #73
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I just wished they added a smidge more WR to go along with the sporty dress look. Would differentiate it a bit more.

Just read that revolution article. Takes me back to freshman english class, reads just like an essay someone would've written
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2024, 02:14 PM   #74
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I woke up today reading an article about the code written by ChatGPT from watch revolution, finished the day purchasing a code 11 lol

Old 10 July 2024, 02:40 PM   #75
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
I woke up today reading an article about the code written by ChatGPT from watch revolution, finished the day purchasing a code 11 lol

Looks like the ad worked haha, congrats man, awesome piece :)
Old 11 July 2024, 02:45 AM   #76
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I just wished they added a smidge more WR to go along with the sporty dress look. Would differentiate it a bit more.

Just read that revolution article. Takes me back to freshman english class, reads just like an essay someone would've written
Proper water resistance for recreational swimming, and quick change straps (like on the VC overseas) so you can use rubber during the day at the beach and then leather or fabric for when you are dressed up smart and heading out to dinner in the evening.

Suddenly the watch becomes a lot more interesting IMO, at least for me as a RO buyer but not currently sold on the Code.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #77
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Proper water resistance for recreational swimming, and quick change straps (like on the VC overseas) so you can use rubber during the day at the beach and then leather or fabric for when you are dressed up smart and heading out to dinner in the evening.

Suddenly the watch becomes a lot more interesting IMO, at least for me as a RO buyer but not currently sold on the Code.
The code has enough WR to swim with. AP states its depth ratings as true ratings. 30m=30m. Here’s a thread showing a guy underwater with his 20m rated ceramic QP.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=942857&page=3

I do agree having a quick strap system would make the watch much more versatile and with some clever engineering I think it can be done entirely on the strap side without any changes to the watch. Would love a first party cordura or rubber strap.
Old 11 July 2024, 04:38 AM   #78
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
The code has enough WR to swim with. AP states its depth ratings as true ratings. 30m=30m. Here’s a thread showing a guy underwater with his 20m rated ceramic QP.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=942857&page=3

I do agree having a quick strap system would make the watch much more versatile and with some clever engineering I think it can be done entirely on the strap side without any changes to the watch. Would love a first party cordura or rubber strap.
Really? Been categorically told by the SA that my Royal Oak (and all royal oaks for that matter) which are 50m rated are definitely not for swimming and should not even really get wet… that the 50m does not mean 50m (as we are all used to from other watches, need 100m for swimming etc)
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 04:50 AM   #79
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Quote:
Really? Been categorically told by the SA that my Royal Oak (and all royal oaks for that matter) which are 50m rated are definitely not for swimming and should not even really get wet… that the 50m does not mean 50m (as we are all used to from other watches, need 100m for swimming etc)

I’ve been told the opposite - all Royal Oaks should be fine for swimming (and I’ve swam several times with a RO, no issues so far). When the seals are new, apparently a RO is even water resistant without the crown screwed down (this one I’m not willing to test ).

The recommendation given to me was to just ensure the watch is regularly tested for water resistance, and enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 05:08 AM   #80
Audevache
"TRF" Member

None of the Code straps are properly swimmable IMHO. Even the “rubber” strap is a composite with leather. I have plenty of other watches that I can swim with.
Old 11 July 2024, 05:14 AM   #81
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I was at AP house recently and was told you can surface swim with a 30m Code. Not sure I believe it, but that’s what they told me.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 05:29 AM   #82
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
FWIW, I was at AP house recently and was told you can surface swim with a 30m Code. Not sure I believe it, but that’s what they told me.
When I asked about 50m WR for my 15202 I shot AP an email, they said that 50m is surface swimmable, 30m splash, and 20m nope. Granted it was just an email like 8 years ago but that always stuck with me. This is coming from someone who swims with my 15202, 60m railmaster, 5atm mark 18.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 05:46 AM   #83
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
None of the Code straps are properly swimmable IMHO. Even the “rubber” strap is a composite with leather. I have plenty of other watches that I can swim with.
The first dive watches used leather straps.

https://www.omegawatches.com/chronic...dry-precision#

Just replace them when they get funky. It’s really no big deal.
Old 11 July 2024, 05:53 AM   #84
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I kind of view the code as “if you fell into a pool at a party, the watch wouldn’t be ruined”
gretch6364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 06:14 AM   #85
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I kind of view the code as “if you fell into a pool at a party, the watch wouldn’t be ruined”

Same here.

That said if it was issued as folks here said with changeable straps and 50-100m WR it would make it a lot more versatile.

GS can make their snowflake 100m WR for $5k while having a transparebt caseback - It's not like this is an unknown marvel of engineering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2024, 07:06 AM   #86
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Revolution went beyond the written review and also released this video.

https://youtu.be/1SrCDm_CYoc?si=h9ppI_ueCEgJQr-Q
Old 11 July 2024, 09:54 AM   #87
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Revolution went beyond the written review and also released this video.

https://youtu.be/1SrCDm_CYoc?si=h9ppI_ueCEgJQr-Q
I was just about to post this. Well made video about the history of the code 11. Definitely a positive spin on some of the launch hiccups, but that’s expected since he’s filming at a boutique lol. Overall, I do agree with most of what he said and I do think the code had a bright future ahead as long as they continue to listen to clients