The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2024, 01:30 PM   #1
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
Offered an Ed White if buying a white Speedy.

I recently visited my local Omega boutique to see a white Speedmaster. There were a couple of them available. I liked the watch but didn't love it, so I told the SA I would love to have the 321 Ed White instead if one is available. She immediately told me there was one in stock if I was willing to bundled up with a white Speedy or any $5K or above watches in store. I didn’t need two watches so I declined, but do you guys think this was a good deal for getting a 321? I was thinking down the road one might be available without having to buy two watches or waiting for over a year.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 01:48 PM   #2
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Not a bad proposition but I probably would’ve declined as well.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 04:00 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

While the transparency is refreshing, this is supposed to be a luxury experience, not the equivalent of shopping at a used car lot. I personally wouldn’t go back to that AD.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:42 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Never did I imagine the wristwatch business would become a racket.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 08:36 PM   #5
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Why not find another watch that you like that meets the 5k the AD needs. I buy enough and Omega has enough variations on models that it would be easy.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 08:47 PM   #6
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Why not find another watch that you like that meets the 5k the AD needs. I buy enough and Omega has enough variations on models that it would be easy.
A white Speedmaster was probably the watch I liked the most from what they had in store. I tried a blue 007 Seamaster 300m but it wore a little too big for me.
Old 11 July 2024, 09:46 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The answer is it depends…

I agree with Cru, the whole “buy one get the one you really want” takes away from the buying experience. However, by declining, you’ve pretty much sealed your fate with the OB and white dial Speedy is one that you could probably have sold easily for a minimal loss.

So yes, I agree with your position unless you REALLY want the 321
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:06 AM   #8
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I would have asked for a Snoopy as well.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:11 AM   #9
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't play that game, personally. Not with Rolex, and certainly not with Omega. The fact that people are willing to do this, only encourages this further... but each to their own I suppose.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:24 AM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Maybe because we’re not all filthy rich like you
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:50 AM   #11
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Buying the new white speedy to get the Ed White?

I would have done it in a second.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 01:37 AM   #12
klenboy

I think that's a great deal! I'd love both the White Speedy and 321.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 06:46 AM   #13
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

You can get an Ed White for about MSRP secondhand now. If you don't want two watches, you made the right decision.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 09:55 AM   #14
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
You can get an Ed White for about MSRP secondhand now. If you don't want two watches, you made the right decision.
This
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 11:02 AM   #15
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently saw an unworn Ed White going for 5% over msrp at my local watch dealer. However buying one from the boutique is a much better experience over here. So I was hoping as the watch market has softened. Maybe one will be available sooner or later without these buying conditions. I could still remember a year ago when people needed to spend like $25K on watches to get an Ed White.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:03 AM   #16
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS2000 View Post
I recently saw an unworn Ed White going for 5% over msrp at my local watch dealer. However buying one from the boutique is a much better experience over here. So I was hoping as the watch market has softened. Maybe one will be available sooner or later without these buying conditions. I could still remember a year ago when people needed to spend like $25K on watches to get an Ed White.

Soon they’ll be discounting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 July 2024, 12:35 PM   #17
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

That seems very strange to me. Why are they trying to bundle two pretty in demand references? We’ve seen bundling schemes with like a ladies Rolex to get an in demand men’s sports model, but they could easily sell both the 321 and white dial Speedy on their own, both at MSRP, so why try to bundle them? Seems like they likely have multiple people who want the 321, unless times have changed that much, as I thought there was more demand for that model than there is supply. They had one just sitting there in allocated?

I think this is weird, however I may have bought the bundle because I really like both of those and they’d be amazing to add to my Speedy collection.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:37 PM   #18
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
That seems very strange to me. Why are they trying to bundle two pretty in demand references? We’ve seen bundling schemes with like a ladies Rolex to get an in demand men’s sports model, but they could easily sell both the 321 and white dial Speedy on their own, both at MSRP, so why try to bundle them? Seems like they likely have multiple people who want the 321, unless times have changed that much, as I thought there was more demand for that model than there is supply. They had one just sitting there in allocated?

I think this is weird, however I may have bought the bundle because I really like both of those and they’d be amazing to add to my Speedy collection.

Because neither is really an over list watch and they want to make 35-40% of ~$23.5k instead of ~$15.5k. And the resulting commission.

Old 12 July 2024, 02:05 PM   #19
Nova1
"TRF" Member

Call back in 2 weeks and see if it’s still there and if they’re willing to sell outright. If not, I’d never go back.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 07:03 PM   #20
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post

For some reasons, the white Speedmasters are not popular watches here. They are sitting on the display case with no buyers. There are also a few of them selling online with some discount (probably from those who bought them to get the watches they wanted.)
I went to the same boutique today but talked to a different SA. She stated that the Omega regional office is the one deciding the allocations for hard to find pieces based on spending histories of the customers. That was why the first SA offered me and Ed White if I was willing to buy anything in store above $5K.
Old 12 July 2024, 07:57 PM   #21
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Soon they’ll be discounting them.

It doesn't make business sense to discontinue Caliber 321. Investing in the capability to manufacture the caliber in-house implies Omega will continue offering the caliber. It may not be in the exact reference currently offered, but I believe Caliber 321 will be in some form of a Speedmaster for the foreseeable future.
Old 12 July 2024, 08:56 PM   #22
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

what a good deal !!
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 08:59 PM   #23
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I also respect the transparency.

Old 12 July 2024, 11:22 PM   #24
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I'd do it.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:31 PM   #25
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It doesn't make business sense to discontinue Caliber 321. Investing in the capability to manufacture the caliber in-house implies Omega will continue offering the caliber. It may not be in the exact reference currently offered, but I believe Caliber 321 will be in some form of a Speedmaster for the foreseeable future.
I agree and certainly hope so.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:32 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
100%
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 11:42 PM   #27
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS2000 View Post
I recently visited my local Omega boutique to see a white Speedmaster. There were a couple of them available. I liked the watch but didn't love it, so I told the SA I would love to have the 321 Ed White instead if one is available. She immediately told me there was one in stock if I was willing to bundled up with a white Speedy or any $5K or above watches in store. I didn’t need two watches so I declined, but do you guys think this was a good deal for getting a 321? I was thinking down the road one might be available without having to buy two watches or waiting for over a year.
As others have said, if you want the 321 and a white Speedy, this is possibly a good way to get them, but if you just want the 321, it's probably not such a good deal.

I personally have no regrets about buying my 321 but I don't know how much above the retail price I would pay for one.
Old 12 July 2024, 11:51 PM   #28
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still wonder if Omega will remake the first Speedmaster worn on the moon which had the professional case and the 321 movement in it. Perhaps this is a possibility to replace the current 321 model?

Bearing in mind that this would look VERY similar to the current 'standard' Moonwatch there would probably be only a very limited number of customers for such a watch, but I certainly would be interested in one.
Old 13 July 2024, 04:32 AM   #29
sycopupy
"TRF" Member

Thar was bogus. I would only do it IF there was something else that I actually wanted and would have eventually bought. I hate these kind of dealer games.
sycopupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 07:29 AM   #30
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I still wonder if Omega will remake the first Speedmaster worn on the moon which had the professional case and the 321 movement in it. Perhaps this is a possibility to replace the current 321 model?

Bearing in mind that this would look VERY similar to the current 'standard' Moonwatch there would probably be only a very limited number of customers for such a watch, but I certainly would be interested in one.
Yeah, this is how I'm thinking of it, too . I would love a re-do of Reference 145.012 or 105.012

I have a milestone wedding anniversary coming up in a couple of years and my better half is going to ask me for a short list of watches, so I'll be keen to see how this plays out :-)