The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 July 2024, 08:33 AM   #1
soonasu
"TRF" Member

Lange 1815 Chrono Colorway Question

Hey guys!

Ive been meaning to pick up an 1815 chrono in WG. Im deciding between the black dial (414.028) or the BE white dial (414.026). I find the white dial extremely attractive because its so restrained but the blue text makes it playful, but I can get the Black Dial with deployant clasp for 6k less than I could the WG BE.

Open to opinions from others who have owned both.
soonasu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 09:00 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Make sure you have the wrist for it. Lange lugs are long making them wear larger imho. The black chrono is amazing, I felt my 6.6 wrist was at the cusp. I ultimately moved onto 38.5mm Lange 1 mp and that fit was much better. Black dial was a beauty and my pref
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 09:20 AM   #3
Loosetoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonasu View Post
Hey guys!

Ive been meaning to pick up an 1815 chrono in WG. Im deciding between the black dial (414.028) or the BE white dial (414.026). I find the white dial extremely attractive because its so restrained but the blue text makes it playful, but I can get the Black Dial with deployant clasp for 6k less than I could the WG BE.

Open to opinions from others who have owned both.
I have not owned both, but I have been considering the 1815 Chrono for quite a while. I do believe finding someone who has owned both will be quite difficult.

I would not allow cost to be a consideration at all in this. If you like the Boutique Edition, then that is what you should get. Never let your wallet get in the way of what you really want. If you do, you will regret it.

That being said, my personal preference is for the black dial. I think the slopes and layers of the dial are just nicer in black. Moreover, I just do not care for white dialed chronographs. "Playful" is not a term I would associate with this watch, but if that is what you wish; I agree the BE is somewhat more informal. A different strap would help with the informality if that is desired.

I will also say that i dislike deployants. They never fit me correctly. I realize I am in the minority here, but i much prefer a pin buckle. I really like the buckle on my L1 Moon.

I do wish Lange still did the contrasting subdials like they did on the Rose Gold 1st gen, but I suppose the lack thereof is a tactic to get someone to consider the Datographs. I just find the 1815 a more balanced and proportioned watch.

Whatever you choose will be exquisite. There really is no wrong answer here. If you have not, I do recommend that you try these on before purchase as the aesthetic of Lange can be considered quite blocky by some. It is very German, in the best possible way.

When time allows, I will purchase a black dial (414.028). It will go nicely with my 192.029 WG L1 Moon Black Dial. Yes, variety could be considered; but I have other watches for that.

It appears that ap1 and I agree on watch selections
Loosetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 09:56 AM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Agree with the above -- at this level, I'd not let $6K get in the way of exactly what I want (just make sure it's really what you want).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 10:01 AM   #5
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I have had the first gen RG variant for over a year now. Agree with above the black dial really shows off the stepped dial and is the one I prefer. I liked the contrasting subdials so went with the first gen. There is no wrong choice!
Old 13 July 2024, 05:35 PM   #6
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Black Dial is the winner by far IMO

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 06:29 PM   #7
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Saw both at the boutique side by side, went with the black. Go with whichever looks better to you, $6K at this level is not enough to make a difference.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2024, 04:19 PM   #8
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

I've spent time with both but haven't owned either one (prefer the Gen1 Dato).

You can't go wrong either way. The Boutique Edition was the first of these two watches to be released. It was a big hit. When the WG/black dial was launched a bit later, it provided stiff competition.

I'm a huge deployant fan. I prefer deployants on everything, though I often need custom straps for them to fit properly.

I'd say go with the WG/black dial and get the deployant IF both watches are in the same condition. I assume you're buying preowned, given what you said about the price differential (both models should be the same price if bought retail). Here are 3 things to keep in mind:

1. Boxes/papers. Do both have full original papers?

2. Case condition. Lug chamfers should be crisp and well-defined (but won't be razor-sharp). Lange can't restore overpolished (rounded) lug chamfers.

3. Risk of very high initial service cost. If a non-Lange watchmaker opened the caseback, expect Lange to know that when you send it in, and expect punishment in the form of a very high service cost.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote