The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 01:11 AM   #1
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Tudor values. (No, not about Henry VIII's morals)

Does the almost immediate depreciation, of Tudor timepieces, affect your purchasing decision?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:19 AM   #2
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
No. I wear my Tudors hard so they wouldn’t be collectible either way. Also, they are at a low enough price point where I think about them as a consumable item. I have 3 and they have all been solid buys that I would do over again.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:32 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Lol no. All watch purchases are effectively nil since I don’t sell.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:44 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not in the least but I have yet to own one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:51 AM   #5
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I can't explain it, because it doesn't make sense - but Tudor is one brand I'm ok paying retail for. Probably because I think they punch well above their weight.

Pretty much everything else, though, the immediate depreciation has me looking at 'used'.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:39 AM   #6
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Does the almost immediate depreciation, of Tudor timepieces, affect your purchasing decision?
I'm budget conscious by necessity and no it doesn't.

The price point allays those fears for me. I'm not going to walk a 20% instant deprecation on a watch I love if said depreciation is like $800 bucks. That's worth the experience of being the first owner, spend history, and maybe having the real AD experience.

Now that same 20% or more with a JLC, GO, IWC, Chopard etc.... ? I'm going used every time because the 20% percent or more translates to thousands of dollars.

And like someone said earlier, they just freaking feel worth it.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:41 AM   #7
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

No, just buy used at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Same way I buy all watches
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:58 AM   #8
JMP57
"TRF" Member

Short answer is no, as I get my enjoyment from the watch. To me, Tudor offers a great watch at a reasonable price point.
JMP57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:00 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Hell no. It's the sheer enjoyment I get from wearing them that is the true value to me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:12 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Not in the least. Same goes for new vehicle purchases.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:21 AM   #11
Neil McCauley
Banned

If it bothers you, buy one on the secondary market.

I've only owned 1 Tudor (Black Bay Pro) and I didn't get on with it. I let it go for a loss, such is life.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:28 AM   #12
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
There are a couple of models I consider adding from time to time and seems a no brainer to buy from a reputable dealer in mint or unworn condition when they’re available for about 30% off.

It wouldn’t stop me buying - just changes how I buy.
Mr Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 04:07 AM   #13
Dendi
"TRF" Member

Not at all worried about the depreciation. I wouldn't buy any watches if all I worried about was the depreciation. Tudors are awesome. That's why you should buy them.
Dendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 05:01 AM   #14
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

Only ever bought like new tudors on the used market for that reason......i'd never pay full retail for any tudor knowing it can be had in like new condition on the grey market, just common sense.
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 05:35 AM   #15
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
If it bothers you, buy one on the secondary market.
This

Same with many other brands
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 05:59 AM   #16
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I bought on the secondary market. Problem solved. BTW, I love my Pelagos 39 so much, I would not have minded paying retail. Great watch.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:39 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

No. I've always liked one particular model. I now have it. I love it and I don't care what it's worth. I probably won't buy another Tudor. Well, maybe just one more...
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:36 AM   #18
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
This

Same with many other brands
And cars and basically everything else in life. I often wonder if people with this mindset apply it to furniture, clothes, shoes, etc. Watches should not be viewed as financial investments.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:06 PM   #19
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
And cars and basically everything else in life. I often wonder if people with this mindset apply it to furniture, clothes, shoes, etc. Watches should not be viewed as financial investments.
I think it's fine to think of watches as an *asset*, it's hard not to when these things we discuss are usually worth 5 figures and upwards. It's great that some of those hold their value. For those that own these pieces, great, good for them. I think it's fair to hope that you don't lose a tonne of value in something, that goes for cars and other things, too. But to me it certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite when buying. If it's the number 1 top priority, you probably can't afford it in the first place.

What I don't like, is when people get into watches because they think every watch should hold it's value, and that's the first question they ask. I see this a lot. "Will this watch hold its value?" is the first question, rather than discussing the actual watch itself.

It's amusing, because if people begun to enjoy the watches for what they actually are, they might enjoy them a bit more.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:29 PM   #20
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Monetary value does not equate to enjoyment for me when it comes to watches.

My BB54 would lose me money right now if I sold it, but luckily I have no plans on selling as it's a stellar daily. Especially with all the strap options!
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:48 PM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor values. (No, not about Henry VIII's morals)

I think it might be a good question for some of the more expensive brands that drop like a rock. But Tudors don’t cost that much to begin with. So I’d never worry about it. Like someone said above, you can always buy a used one instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:19 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I typically buy my Tudor watches at Retail and don't mind if I take a slight loss. At such a low price point, typically below 5k, a loss is not the same as dealing with much more expensive watches. I have a lot of fun with my Tudors and if they were in the market in the 90's-2000's the same way they are now, they could have saved me an expensive Rolex ride.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:33 PM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

I have a lot of fun with my Tudors and if they were in the market in the 90's-2000's the same way they are now, they could have saved me an expensive Rolex ride.
My experience exactly.

As far as values go...well, I know of nothing that can suck the enjoyment out of this hobby as fast as that word.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:59 PM   #24
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I have the Harrods edition that I plan to wear regularly at some point but haven’t had the available wrist time yet. I expect it to depreciate heavily, but maybe keep up slightly with inflation in the long term (5-10 years). Eg: paid $4k today, get $4k in 10 years if I sell
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:02 PM   #25
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
This. To me, a watch is no different than any other purchase. That is, I fully expect the value to go down the second I walk out the door the same way it does with almost any other item you purchase. They are NOT investments.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:51 PM   #26
Jari37
"TRF" Member

Agreed. The clichéd response to questions about depreciation is always oh god never do I ever even consider that for a second. And for some that's no doubt true. But given the cost & basic pointlessness of these items, it's a variable for some of us. By no means the main variable, but a variable nonetheless.

So I always find the vaguely scolding tone people take about this amusing.
Jari37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 01:29 AM   #27
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
like most things, is the purchase price material to your financial condition. For example, a one dollar item is generally immaterial, the resale value is irrelevant to your purchase decision. Is the Tudor immaterial to your financial condition, the 'depreciation' on purchase is also irrelevant. If the Tudor represents a material investment, it should be a material issue for you as to what it's immediate resale value is.

My long and short is that purchasing watches, houses, cars, etc. they are all consumable, your pleasure comes from having them and enjoying them. The resale value (whether immediately after purchase, or over the long term) should not be your most important consideration. Can you afford it, do you enjoy it, will you use it, then buy it and enjoy it. If you can't afford to lose it, don't buy it.

insurance plays in, you insure your car because you can't afford to lose it. You insure your house because you can't afford to lose it. You can insure your watch too. If it is insured, then enjoy it. If losing it, whether from deprecation, or from an involuntary conversion after insurance recovery is a material financial loss, then you can't afford to buy it.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 03:40 AM   #28
Eyas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
No. I wear my Tudors hard so they wouldn’t be collectible either way. Also, they are at a low enough price point where I think about them as a consumable item. I have 3 and they have all been solid buys that I would do over again.
My thoughts exactly - the price is low enough the depreciation doesn't bother me ... unlike my Pateks where taking a bath on one would bother me a lot more!
Eyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:07 AM   #29
The Londonist
"TRF" Member

Anecdotally, popular new Tudor Black Bays can go for a premium until they are in the ADs, however generally modern Tudor’s do lose value.

All except for one, the 79220N, which had a 6 month production run and came with a non-rivet oyster-style bracelet. Around a year ago, there was a new-old stock one for sale on the bracelet for about £6,000. New, it was around £2,300. Used ones in good condition are around £3,500+.

The distinction is that it really is rare and had the bracelet that everyone likes.

Would I buy one? Yes.
The Londonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 05:45 AM   #30
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
If this is a real concern the simple answer would be to buy a vintage Tudor that not only holds its value but actually goes up in price
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote