The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2024, 08:50 AM   #1
BigPapiDoesItAgain
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Just how rare is 36 mm OP turquoise dial?

Is it a truly rare situation or flipper hoarding situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 09:50 AM   #2
bigheart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26 and 31mm DJ
I have been to 5 AD in a two state area and am about six weeks into the wait. Will see what happens. I have seen several posts on reddit of folks getting them lately after a few months.
bigheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 01:21 PM   #3
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Any OP is not very common because of the various color dials and sizes. But they do get these in obviously since they are on the secondary market. I spoke with AD and was told in 36mm the turquoise is the most requested.

Beware of non Rolex dials on the secondary market. The white hang tag could be important in this case if not buying from AD. 15K is ridiculous for a 6K watch.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 03:19 PM   #4
fly4awhtgye
"TRF" Member

Took my wife and I just 5.5 months in Southeast US. Shocked!

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk
fly4awhtgye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 05:34 PM   #5
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I believe it to be one of (if not #1) requested OP configurations. I have a long history with this exact configuration.

At announcement of the ‘Stella’ dials in 2020, I rang up an AD I’ve used for a decade + about one. She was delighted I shared interest in one, as it was her personal favorite. I asked if phones had been ringing off the hook, she said somewhat, and requests were 50/50 between the pink and turquoise. They were the most popular, but certainly not madness.

The next week or so, that same AD called and asked me to put down a deposit for the 36mm turquoise, which I did (50% down). They offered deposits to 6 customers on the turquoise model 36mm in total. They stated delivery would be within 5-8 weeks.

Weeks went by, months went by, and at around the 6-month mark I called in to check on my order. With many apologies, the AD stated that they’ve made it through 4 of the 6 orders, and I was next. Again, months went by.

Then, toward the end of 2021, Patek released their Tiffany nautilus. I rang the AD and she stated her phone had been ringing off the hook for the turquoise OP since the Patek announcement. She still insisted my reservation was on the way…

About one year later (late-2022) I called the same AD one more time. Now frustrated, I asked for a definitive lead time. Given it had been a year, the narrative was more extreme this time around. It went from apologetic last year, to “you’re very lucky to have reserved such a model.” The manager went on to explain that all of her most signticisnt customers now wanted the turquoise 36mm (upon 41’s discontinuation) and she had to fill as many orders as possible. She also shared that she only received about 4 in total since announcement (not sure I believed that). She also definitively stated that it was harder to get an OP 36mm turquoise than any other catalogue Rolex, Daytona included. Demand was through the roof from both men and women.

At that point, I just asked for my deposit back. It was only $3k, but more for principal. She understood, and sent it back. Being understanding of the situation, she still told me it would be delivered, she just didn’t know when.

As you can tell, I don’t play AD games of “checking in” and “buying gifts” yada yada. So months went by and in April, 2023 I finally got the call for one. This was after I took my deposit back.

Rollercoaster ride, but wife is happy to have it. Well, maybe I’m happier about it because I’m almost positive I size it and wear it more often. But to answer your question OP, YMMV, but it’s an extremely popular watch. I personally don’t believe the celebration OP is as popular as the plain turquoise, but could be wrong.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 08:21 PM   #6
Neil McCauley
Banned

To me it's a bit of an oddity, I see a lot of wildly fluctuating wait times for this watch - sometimes I see people with a fair purchase history getting it quickly, other times, not a chance at all, such as myself... I want to get one for my wife but I've been waiting since it released with no news as yet... Perhaps it's an area thing, I don't know.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 08:25 PM   #7
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I believe it to be one of (if not #1) requested OP configurations. I have a long history with this exact configuration.

At announcement of the ‘Stella’ dials in 2020, I rang up an AD I’ve used for a decade + about one. She was delighted I shared interest in one, as it was her personal favorite. I asked if phones had been ringing off the hook, she said somewhat, and requests were 50/50 between the pink and turquoise. They were the most popular, but certainly not madness.

The next week or so, that same AD called and asked me to put down a deposit for the 36mm turquoise, which I did (50% down). They offered deposits to 6 customers on the turquoise model 36mm in total. They stated delivery would be within 5-8 weeks.

Weeks went by, months went by, and at around the 6-month mark I called in to check on my order. With many apologies, the AD stated that they’ve made it through 4 of the 6 orders, and I was next. Again, months went by.

Then, toward the end of 2021, Patek released their Tiffany nautilus. I rang the AD and she stated her phone had been ringing off the hook for the turquoise OP since the Patek announcement. She still insisted my reservation was on the way…

About one year later (late-2022) I called the same AD one more time. Now frustrated, I asked for a definitive lead time. Given it had been a year, the narrative was more extreme this time around. It went from apologetic last year, to “you’re very lucky to have reserved such a model.” The manager went on to explain that all of her most signticisnt customers now wanted the turquoise 36mm (upon 41’s discontinuation) and she had to fill as many orders as possible. She also shared that she only received about 4 in total since announcement (not sure I believed that). She also definitively stated that it was harder to get an OP 36mm turquoise than any other catalogue Rolex, Daytona included. Demand was through the roof from both men and women.

At that point, I just asked for my deposit back. It was only $3k, but more for principal. She understood, and sent it back. Being understanding of the situation, she still told me it would be delivered, she just didn’t know when.

As you can tell, I don’t play AD games of “checking in” and “buying gifts” yada yada. So months went by and in April, 2023 I finally got the call for one. This was after I took my deposit back.

Rollercoaster ride, but wife is happy to have it. Well, maybe I’m happier about it because I’m almost positive I size it and wear it more often. But to answer your question OP, YMMV, but it’s an extremely popular watch. I personally don’t believe the celebration OP is as popular as the plain turquoise, but could be wrong.
Screw paying deposits for watches, man. This is very against any normal policy we usually see today for Rolex ADs, IMO.

Not a chance any AD is going to sit on my money while I wait for something that doesn't materialise. This is probably the dumbest use of funds I've seen in a while.

If it became a solid, across-the-board AD policy for everywhere, and you got the watch within 4-5-6 weeks, guaranteed, no matter what the watch was, then I would be a lot more open to it. But as you pointed out, it's FAR from that.
Old 15 July 2024, 09:26 PM   #8
bigheart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26 and 31mm DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
To me it's a bit of an oddity, I see a lot of wildly fluctuating wait times for this watch - sometimes I see people with a fair purchase history getting it quickly, other times, not a chance at all, such as myself... I want to get one for my wife but I've been waiting since it released with no news as yet... Perhaps it's an area thing, I don't know.
I agree with this, I think the stories I see posted here and on reddit vary widely.
bigheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 09:30 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting story and I am glad that you finally got the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 09:33 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Screw paying deposits for watches, man. This is very against any normal policy we usually see today for Rolex ADs, IMO.

Not a chance any AD is going to sit on my money while I wait for something that doesn't materialise. This is probably the dumbest use of funds I've seen in a while.

If it became a solid, across-the-board AD policy for everywhere, and you got the watch within 4-5-6 weeks, guaranteed, no matter what the watch was, then I would be a lot more open to it. But as you pointed out, it's FAR from that.
I paid deposits on both my SD43 and Submariner at time of release with my AD. One was delivered within a week and the other about a month later.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 10:07 PM   #11
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I paid deposits on both my SD43 and Submariner at time of release with my AD. One was delivered within a week and the other about a month later.
Ditto. Deposits aren't scams and worked for me as well. Doing so locked in my request and was ultimately delivered.
stark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 10:09 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark1 View Post
Ditto. Deposits aren't scams and worked for me as well. Doing so locked in my request and was ultimately delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 10:20 PM   #13
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
This is probably the dumbest use of funds I've seen in a while.
Just wanted to highlight this little excerpt of your’s, which like many of your other posts is extremely useful.

The money didn’t mean much at all, and I have the watch so no complaints here
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 10:28 PM   #14
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Fair, it's likely to be a divisive opinion, I'm sure.

I suppose my point is it's definitely not standard practice here in the UK and is never even an option. In an environment where we, the Rolex-buying public, are generally at odds with how watches are distributed, mixed standards of practice don't really help the situation, do they?

As I say, I'd be a lot cooler with it if it actually guaranteed you a watch, much like putting a deposit down on a car etc. As Espanol's post mentioned, this time, it didn't... which shouldn't be the case, really.
An AD should not be taking deposits for something they cannot deliver on, and they probably knew they couldn't when they took their money.
Old 15 July 2024, 10:29 PM   #15
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Just wanted to highlight this little excerpt of your’s, which like many of your other posts is extremely useful.

The money didn’t mean much at all, and I have the watch so no complaints here
BTW I don't wish for that to be an insult to you - I'm sure you had your reasons to find it appropriate to do so, and it's not for me to tell you whether it is or isn't.
Old 16 July 2024, 12:21 AM   #16
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
My AD told me that currently Rolex has halted the ability for ADs to take deposits and order any model, including Datejusts, which used to be fairly routine, here in the US.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:11 AM   #17
Jonny8
"TRF" Member

Looks like it is, or certainly was common practice in the US. It doesn’t happen in the UK and I was a little surprised when I heard it was elsewhere.

I would be open to it if like previously stated there was a definitive time scale laid out.
Jonny8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:18 AM   #18
fargowill
Banned

That OP is pretty rare, yes
fargowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 11:54 AM   #19
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
My AD told me that currently Rolex has halted the ability for ADs to take deposits and order any model, including Datejusts, which used to be fairly routine, here in the US.

Kat
From my very recent experience, it's AD to AD and not a blanket Rolex rule. Some AD's do it, some don't, and there's not much more to it.
stark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:18 PM   #20
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Just quoting my AD ‘s MGR, who said it just last week. He referenced a lack of available inventory.

Kat
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 12:58 PM   #21
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
I just won an eBay auction for this OP36 turquoise. I asked one AD about it and got the same response about it as my yellow gold oysterflex Daytona requests, it will be difficult. Polite without saying no. And this was a request for a 31 mm as well as we’d take either one. Rolex needs to come out with this color in 34mm. My wife doesn’t know we’re getting it yet. Hopefully she’ll say yes and she preferred the 31 as a daily as she thought the 35 might be too bold for a daily. She likes 36mm in her 2 tone Datejust. I didn't want to pay the grey prices for a 31 but for a 36 gladly. I did get a good deal on an auction that started very low but I swooped in at the last second and got the best price I’ve seen around via greys.

Auction has the the white hang tag so I’m stoked.

I might have to sport it too. That dial color is sublime!
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 05:56 PM   #22
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Just how rare is 36 mm OP turquoise dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
I just won an eBay auction for this OP36 turquoise. I asked one AD about it and got the same response about it as my yellow gold oysterflex Daytona requests, it will be difficult. Polite without saying no. And this was a request for a 31 mm as well as we’d take either one. Rolex needs to come out with this color in 34mm. My wife doesn’t know we’re getting it yet. Hopefully she’ll say yes and she preferred the 31 as a daily as she thought the 35 might be too bold for a daily. She likes 36mm in her 2 tone Datejust. I didn't want to pay the grey prices for a 31 but for a 36 gladly. I did get a good deal on an auction that started very low but I swooped in at the last second and got the best price I’ve seen around via greys.

Auction has the the white hang tag so I’m stoked.

I might have to sport it too. That dial color is sublime!

Just gifted this weekend
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 11:01 PM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

They're rare. Very rare... like H. Moser only that H. Moser is more rarer.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 03:01 AM   #24
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
They're rare. Very rare... like H. Moser only that H. Moser is more rarer.
Old 31 July 2024, 06:03 AM   #25
ElusiveOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Just quoting my AD ‘s MGR, who said it just last week. He referenced a lack of available inventory.

Kat
Anthony is indeed brilliant none the less.
ElusiveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 06:48 AM   #26
Lininq
"TRF" Member

They're very rare and I'm certain it is due to high demands and maybe cuz they're limited.
Lininq is offline   Reply With Quote