The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 01:37 AM   #1
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Hulk blues

So I had the hulk back in 2015 paid £6050 for several years..loved it but moved it on for £11k for no other reason than a cash injection, just before it was discontinued. Fast forward to now and I have the 124060.

I love it and think it's possibly the best watch Rolex has made but feel the crave for that sexy green back..been offered a trade from Watchfinder on £8645 for my 124060 with £6600 being put in for one of their 2013 Hulk's with box/papers described as 'Excellent' condition

I would then want to RSC service/clean it prob looking at £600-800

My question is

A) Is this a good deal?
B) Would I feel it's the right decision and mainly i'm referring to the minor changes the 124060 has on the lugs etc..would I find going back to the older model noticeable/annoying? I didnt have any issues with it back in 2015 but the 124060 dimensions are 'the norm' for me now

This isn't a question on versatility btw. I wore the hulk as my daily and had no issue there.
dennispennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 01:38 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

How would anyone know these answers?? This is a personal and financial choice.
I owned the Hulk back when they were cheap as well. To pay todays rate for a watch I owned new for 1/2 price wouldn’t sit well with me.
Old 16 July 2024, 01:40 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Always add first, and trade (if necessary) second is my advice
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:02 AM   #4
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
How would anyone know these answers?? This is a personal and financial choice.
I owned the Hulk back when they were cheap as well. To pay todays rate for a watch I owned new for 1/2 price wouldn’t sit well with me.
This is also on my mind but I did 'make £5k' selling so in my mind i'm only making the difference from there
Old 16 July 2024, 02:02 AM   #5
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Always add first, and trade (if necessary) second is my advice
As in just buy the hulk and keep the 124060?
Old 16 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispennis View Post
As in just buy the hulk and keep the 124060?

Yes, that’s what I’d do.

This way, you are never left wondering “did I make the right move”, and generally you won’t lose as much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:04 AM   #7
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
So I had the hulk back in 2015 paid £6050 for several years..loved it but moved it on for £11k for no other reason than a cash injection, just before it was discontinued. Fast forward to now and I have the 124060.

I love it and think it's possibly the best watch Rolex has made but feel the crave for that sexy green back..been offered a trade from Watchfinder on £8645 for my 124060 with £6600 being put in for one of their 2013 Hulk's with box/papers described as 'Excellent' condition

My question is

A) Is this a good deal?
B) Would I feel it's the right decision and mainly i'm referring to the minor changes the 124060 has on the lugs etc..would I find going back to the older model noticeable/annoying? I didnt have any issues with it back in 2015 but the 124060 dimensions are 'the norm' for me now

This isn't a question on versatility btw. I wore the hulk as my daily and had no issue there.
If it will make you happy, then go for it. You’re paying more to go backwards, which only really happens with collectibles. While it would seem everyone on the internet is a billionaire, just make sure you’re not stretching your budget too much. Report back once you decide.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 02:16 AM   #8
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: big fat invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes, that’s what I’d do.

This way, you are never left wondering “did I make the right move”, and generally you won’t lose as much money.

i second this recommendation; just get the hulk, and wait a little while. you should know within a few weeks/months if you're okay with moving on from the 124060. i have a hulk, and i already know beyond a shadow of a doubt that i'll never sell it, unless something insane happens, like the market going over $50k for one, or something like that (but that's not gonna happen)
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:36 AM   #9
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I had the Hulk also when it was cheap. In fact I paid 5k from WF in 2014 - that's how insanely cheap it was back then. I sold it long since then for actually very little profit but that's how it was back then.

I of course miss the watch and do think about getting it back but I have tried my friends on a few times and maybe I feel the buzz I had for that watch has since passed. It is very green and tastes change over time.

100% that watch is better then what you have tho, I hate the proportions on the 126 subs especially the lack of tapering on the bracelet - 6.6 is probably about right and I don't think you will need to service it straight away. If you think you won't get buyers remorse after the nostalgia wears off then do it. You only live once.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 04:05 AM   #10
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
Numbers stack up. If you miss it I’d do it.

Roddypeepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 04:13 AM   #11
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

The lugs again…jeez

If you can’t get past the lugs (then, not now-puzzling). Then the Hulk is not for you.
Please just be your own man and accept it for what it is. I assume that is what Hulk would do.
I guess a lot of other folks are fine, if not enthusiastic about it since it trades for multiples over standard black sub-dates.
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 04:21 AM   #12
Rentalcarman
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None at the moment
I have learned that chasing model after model always leaves me wanting the one I passed on to a new owner. If you can, I would keep the sub and buy the hulk. They are different enough that they can be in the same collection.
Old 16 July 2024, 04:22 AM   #13
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I get the feeling your next thread will be "Submariner Blues".... talking about how you miss your 124060, no date sub, beautiful symmetric dial nice lugs, perfect black gloss dial, goes with everything, how you need to add that back...

Just keep what you have!
Old 16 July 2024, 04:29 AM   #14
Cru Jones

116610LV >>> 124060. Do what you have to do.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:17 AM   #15
exp90
"TRF" Member

I adore the Hulk, but the 124060 would be a painful trade to get one. Given you let go of a Hulk previously, suggests you may want the do the same in some years ahead. Either can be re-bought, but the trades are not necessarily efficient each time. Do you have any other watches you could get some liquidity with, so you can get the Hulk to add to the Sub?
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:28 AM   #16
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
I adore the Hulk, but the 124060 would be a painful trade to get one. Given you let go of a Hulk previously, suggests you may want the do the same in some years ahead. Either can be re-bought, but the trades are not necessarily efficient each time. Do you have any other watches you could get some liquidity with, so you can get the Hulk to add to the Sub?
Unfortunately not I liquidated my collection down to a single wear and the hulk was purely a financial necessity at the time which I didnt want to let go at all. I used to take it off and place on my desk below my monitor just to admire the dark green shades urgh memories haha
Old 16 July 2024, 06:33 AM   #17
exp90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately not I liquidated my collection down to a single wear and the hulk was purely a financial necessity at the time which I didnt want to let go at all. I used to take it off and place on my desk below my monitor just to admire the dark green shades urgh memories haha
Are you able to buy the Hulk on a credit card, and within the 14days, keep and sell (sell not trade) the Sub, or if you get cold feet, return? Time on wrist will help.
Old 16 July 2024, 06:35 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like you need to get it back. As per several pearls of wisdom already posted, I would aim to add rather than shuffle things around. That aside, based on the numbers you quote and assuming the LV is in good conditions, it looks like a fair trade for something you really want.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:14 AM   #19
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
If you want it get it .. don’t ask us lot, get it bought … yolo ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:34 AM   #20
majidessa
"TRF" Member

I have both the Hulk and the 124060, I love them equally as each has its own character. I recommend to keep both, the Sub ND as your daily, and the Hulk as your weekend / special watch.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #21
exp90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
I have both the Hulk and the 124060, I love them equally as each has its own character. I recommend to keep both, the Sub ND as your daily, and the Hulk as your weekend / special watch.
Great option!
Old 16 July 2024, 07:59 AM   #22
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Would I feel it's the right decision…?
Well this is the existential question, ain’t it.

I have talked myself into so many watches with flawless logic and all the boxes checked only to pay for them, put them on and feel nothing. And I’ve worn them and waited to feel anything because logic told me I should and they still don’t flip the switch in my head. My observation is this, you’ve already grown bored with it once, what’s different now? Do you want to wear it or do you want to own it? If you want to wear it again then buy it. If you are merely sentimental about it, maybe not. Don’t second guess the decision you already made once.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:57 PM   #23
exp90
"TRF" Member

OP, have you seen the Gallery post "Bicycle commuting", scroll 3/4 down the first page and onto the second ;) I don't blame you, the Hulk is just something else.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:21 PM   #24
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Well this is the existential question, ain’t it.

I have talked myself into so many watches with flawless logic and all the boxes checked only to pay for them, put them on and feel nothing. And I’ve worn them and waited to feel anything because logic told me I should and they still don’t flip the switch in my head. My observation is this, you’ve already grown bored with it once, what’s different now? Do you want to wear it or do you want to own it? If you want to wear it again then buy it. If you are merely sentimental about it, maybe not. Don’t second guess the decision you already made once.
Thats the thing as mentioned before i never 'grew bored with it' I simply needed the money, at the time
Old 16 July 2024, 08:21 PM   #25
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
OP, have you seen the Gallery post "Bicycle commuting", scroll 3/4 down the first page and onto the second ;) I don't blame you, the Hulk is just something else.
I'll check it out
Old 16 July 2024, 10:13 PM   #26
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
If you want the Hulk and have the resources to do it then add it back. If you can do it, even just for a short time, and keep the ND then there will be no not knowing. If the ND has to go to be able to afford it then so be it. Great watches. Let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:22 PM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The best advice I can give you is listen to yourself. You think the 12-series sub is the best Rolex made and you love it...yet you're thinking about trading it away?

Whatever the numbers are...they don't add up. Add the LV-c back in, and see how you feel then.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:22 PM   #28
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:

My question is

A) Is this a good deal?

I mean, I guess if the numbers add up to something you can stomach, then go for it.

For me, perhaps I see things slightly differently. I don't think I would feel comfortable not only taking a small bath on the 124060 and paying the extra money to get a 116610LV. Colours aside, it feels like a bit of a step backwards to me. Yes I have been annoyed at myself later on for selling a watch, but so be it, it's gone.
However, only you can decide if that's something you're willing to do, and the desire for a 116610LV outweighs any downside.

I think I would keep my £7,300 (inc the servicing costs), save up some more and fall in love with another watch I can buy with that money and keep the 124060. Is there anything else in the current line-up that floats your boat?
That's just me though.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 10:31 PM   #29
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I mean, I guess if the numbers add up to something you can stomach, then go for it.

For me, perhaps I see things slightly differently. I don't think I would feel comfortable not only taking a small bath on the 124060 and paying the extra money to get a 116610LV. Colours aside, it feels like a bit of a step backwards to me. Yes I have been annoyed at myself later on for selling a watch, but so be it, it's gone.
However, only you can decide if that's something you're willing to do, and the desire for a 116610LV outweighs any downside.

I think I would keep my £7,300 (inc the servicing costs), save up some more and fall in love with another watch I can buy with that money and keep the 124060. Is there anything else in the current line-up that floats your boat?
That's just me though.
Yea this is close to what I feel and one thing that would possibly agitate me was I try to always buy retail so I know i've got some fat on the bone whereas here I would take a bath if I ever moved the LV along as I don't see it appreciating past the peak its at now (interestingly WF have like 20 hulks and only a handful of 124s)
Old 16 July 2024, 10:46 PM   #30
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Thats the thing as mentioned before i never 'grew bored with it' I simply needed the money, at the time
The result is the same, you justified selling it once.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote