The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 16 July 2024, 07:27 AM   #1
Shomarih
"TRF" Member

Need advice badly

I've been on the list for a GMT Master II Pepsi going on over two years now. Told my SA I'd love to have this watch for my wedding next May. She has recently told me it would be very difficult as May 2025 approaches and my AD hasn't received a single Pepsi yet. She asked if there was anything else that I desire should she not be able to get it. My heart is set on a GMT Master II, but I only like the Pepsi. So far, I've been allocated a Sub Date and a Datejust for my fiancé. I want the Pepsi not for resale value, but for sentimental value as the colors on the bezel were both of my grandmother's favorite colors. This is whats making this a very hard decision. I don't buy grey as I've never had to and would like to not pay double the price. Should I wait it out even if it never comes or pick something else?
Old 16 July 2024, 08:07 AM   #2
HKperf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 M Coke
That’s a tough spot. If the Pepsi is really important because of your grandmother, maybe it's worth waiting. But if you want something special for the wedding, consider discussing other models with your SA. You might find another great piece that still feels meaningful. Good luck, and congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Old 16 July 2024, 08:10 AM   #3
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
If/when I want something, I expect to pay market price. If I can get that something at retail - great. If not, I'm happy to pay market price. At the end of the day the money is in the watch. Insure it and you're good to go.

I understand that not everyone is in the financial position to pay market price, but if that's the case, I'd think long and hard about buying a "Rolex" full-stop. Like my dad always said, "if you can't buy it twice, you can't afford it". This, however, doesn't sound like your issue.

What can I say - hope is not a strategy. Would be nice if you did get an allocation, but odds are not in your favour by the sounds of things. Hardest piece to get allocated now next to the Daytona.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:11 AM   #4
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Wait .. your wedding day should be emotionally enough with or without a Pepsi, a watch doesn’t make a wedding, and when it comes then hold the sentiment for your grandmother .. a watch is a commodity an object, a partner to marry or grandparent is priceless …
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Old 16 July 2024, 08:13 AM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you settle for something else it will just end up costing more. At least the SA is being straight with you.

Important though it is to you, ADs hear scores of these stories.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:18 AM   #6
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: big fat invicta
Delay the wedding. It's a Rolex, for Godsake. Your fiance will understand, I can assure you.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:20 AM   #7
daysky1
"TRF" Member

I've got quite a few Rolexs a lot of them have come from my ad and a lot of them have come from the gray Market. I set the percentage over retail that I'm willing to pay gray then I go shopping. sometimes I can find it immediately based upon the percentage over retail it's listed at that price other times I do a little negotiating and I hold fast to that certain percentage to each his own on whatever percentage that would be. I've heard some bloggers say that 10 to 15% over retail is where things are at this time however I have not found that to be true but you can start there to negotiate and see what happens. ? Be honest let the people you're talking with k n o w that you are shopping around you have a limit that you won't exceed and you want to know what their best deal is if they offer you a deal that's close negotiate to your best deal if they refuse walk away. Always be friendly because you may come back to that person at a later date for a different watch and you want to make sure you've left with good feelings.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:21 AM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

What if they offered you a white dial, SS Daytona? Would you decline it and wait for the Pepsi?
Old 16 July 2024, 08:23 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Go grey.

You only live once and it’ll be a nice way to commemorate your grandmother and icing for the wedding cake

Congratulations in advance
Old 16 July 2024, 08:23 AM   #10
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Go gray if it means that much. You can always stay on the waitlist and if one does land you can sell one of them
Old 16 July 2024, 08:29 AM   #11
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
Delay the wedding. It's a Rolex, for Godsake. Your fiance will understand, I can assure you.
You’ve never been married, have you?
Old 16 July 2024, 08:31 AM   #12
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
I think it was a joke
Old 16 July 2024, 08:33 AM   #13
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomarih View Post
I don't buy grey as I've never had to and would like to not pay double the price. Should I wait it out even if it never comes or pick something else?
Do you think anyone wants to pay double retail? Go grey or move on and wear something else. Your SA said, in not so many words, that they won't sell you one.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:37 AM   #14
mpkRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Need advice badly

Quote:
I've been on the list for a GMT Master II Pepsi going on over two years now. Told my SA I'd love to have this watch for my wedding next May. She has recently told me it would be very difficult as May 2025 approaches and my AD hasn't received a single Pepsi yet. She asked if there was anything else that I desire should she not be able to get it. My heart is set on a GMT Master II, but I only like the Pepsi. So far, I've been allocated a Sub Date and a Datejust for my fiancé. I want the Pepsi not for resale value, but for sentimental value as the colors on the bezel were both of my grandmother's favorite colors. This is whats making this a very hard decision. I don't buy grey as I've never had to and would like to not pay double the price. Should I wait it out even if it never comes or pick something else?

If I were you I would spend the extra 30% and get from the gray. That would allow me to use it on the wrist for two additional years out of my limited time in this world and that would be premium worth spent, instead of waiting on ADs who I am sure must have allocated it to someone else who had more spending history. But that is just me. Or if you must by from AD give him another option such as Batman or the rootbeer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
Old 16 July 2024, 08:51 AM   #15
Copasetic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
You could pick up the phone or send an email to a recommended grey dealer and have the Pepsi on your wrist by the end of the week. Therefore, what I would do is set a deadline, a month before the wedding, two weeks before the wedding, whatever you’re comfortable with. Locate some Pepsi’s at recommended greys just before your deadline. If the AD doesn’t call by the deadline, buy it grey. IMO, you’ll have long forgot that you bought it grey and always remember you wore it at your wedding. And when your wife digs out the wedding album, there you will be, proudly wearing your Pepsi.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:52 AM   #16
duquey
"TRF" Member

Would Vintage or Neo-Vintage be an option?
Old 16 July 2024, 08:54 AM   #17
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
You have to change your mentality.

Either find another watch to wear on the big day, or if you insist it MUST be Pepsi BLRO then suck it up, buy it used, and get it on the wrist. You could continue waiting for your AD to allocate you the Pepsi and then trade or sell out of the pre-owned model that you bought from the grey market. But if you want it on your terms, in your way, and have no flexibility on that matter then you have to pay for it. This is true for many things in life.

Personally, I would find something else to wear... something equally sentimental. Maybe another watch that has blue and red colors? Maybe a blue dial watch on a red strap? I don't know. I'm conservative so I would wear a classic dress watch on an occasion like a wedding day.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:58 AM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Sometimes we don’t get what we want and in Rolex land you better get use to that feeling if you must buy from a AD or find another brand.

You need to drop $ome coin like most every one else that wants a more desirable piece. No amount of special occasion or sentimental idea is going to get it any faster (or at all) at a AD as they have heard it all.

You understand most ADs require a large $$$$$ amount of jewelry purchases just to be considered for a harder to get Rolex model and some still have not got the call after $50k+ of jewelry in one year. Your not getting a BLRO unless you buy grey market.

Old 16 July 2024, 02:02 PM   #19
omar10213245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner868 View Post
my apologies if it wasn't obvious; i was only kidding around
Old 16 July 2024, 02:04 PM   #20
omar10213245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
You could pick up the phone or send an email to a recommended grey dealer and have the Pepsi on your wrist by the end of the week. Therefore, what I would do is set a deadline, a month before the wedding, two weeks before the wedding, whatever you’re comfortable with. Locate some Pepsi’s at recommended greys just before your deadline. If the AD doesn’t call by the deadline, buy it grey. IMO, you’ll have long forgot that you bought it grey and always remember you wore it at your wedding. And when your wife digs out the wedding album, there you will be, proudly wearing your Pepsi.
very good point here. twenty years from now, you won't give a toss that it didn't come from an authorized dealer. sometimes when we frame things with that type of perspective, it can be helpful in making the proper choice
Old 16 July 2024, 02:22 PM   #21
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
hilarious post, man.

1- your AD is lying to you. badly. They have received many, many, MANY Pepsi. MANY!

2- do yourself a favor, and cut the pity party. Your AD doesn't care about your grandmother's favorite colors because they haven't allocated you this watch in two years.

Go grey. get the watch. you've never had to because you've asked for easy stuff in the past. Now you ask for hard stuff - you can go grey or (probably) not get it.

c'mon man. You know how this works.
Old 16 July 2024, 02:35 PM   #22
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Need advice badly

I think it’s funny when people come on here and the only watch they want is one of the hardest watches to get on the planet.
The wedding is what makes the day special, not the watch. Find a watch that’s more obtainable. There are many, many watches out there, many of which have the red and blue color way. Get one of those.

Tudor GMT is a nice watch.
Old 16 July 2024, 02:38 PM   #23
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post

ROFL

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2024, 02:45 PM   #24
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Need advice badly

Stay on the list for the Pepsi, and get another wedding watch. I got a silver OP 36 for my wedding. It looked great in the “corny rings photo”. Also, my fiancé had bought it for me. Do something like that, or get a DJ to match your fiance’s, assuming you got it for her. You could wear a red and blue pocket square to honor your Grandmas.

Kat

Old 16 July 2024, 02:55 PM   #25
klenboy

Go grey. No use waiting for something that will not come timely.
Old 16 July 2024, 03:27 PM   #26
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Just my opinion - I think the ADs have so many of these special event / milestone requests lately that they have become blind to these requests.

If you had purchased the engagement ring, wedding bands, groomsmen, and / or bridesmaid gifts also via the SA it would've probably improved your odds.
Old 16 July 2024, 05:31 PM   #27
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Stay on the list for the Pepsi, and get another wedding watch. I got a silver OP 36 for my wedding. It looked great in the “corny rings photo”. Also, my fiancé had bought it for me. Do something like that, or get a DJ to match your fiance’s, assuming you got it for her. You could wear a red and blue pocket square to honor your Grandmas.

Kat

If you really want it, you need to do some man maths. A wedding, like the birth of a child, helps justify all sorts of purchases that are normally questionable.

Once you have come up with a suitably ridiculous reason that it’s sensible - go grey….

Or like Kat says, convince your fiancé to buy it for you!!
Old 16 July 2024, 05:43 PM   #28
chris007
"TRF" Member

The truth : Your AD gets 1 ou 2 Pepsi every month !
Old 16 July 2024, 06:25 PM   #29
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Such is life my friend, we cannot always have the things we want. Cut the crap about your grandma too.... nobody buys a watch because it has their grandmas favourite colours on it. Your AD is seeing right through that.

You have four choices:

One - buy around 100 grand's worth of other stuff, available watches, jewellery etc and I would bet that BLRO availability would suddenly accelerate for you. Seriously though, are you buying your engagement ring and wedding and wedding rings from them? I don't know, your AD may not be a jewellers too, but if they are, then investigate buying the rings from them too. ADs/jewellers like to try and make life-long customers, where you get things to celebrate different thing through yours and your families lives.... if you've overlooked this, no wonder you're not getting a BLRO...

Two - Buy grey - I know you don't like buying above MSRP, but technically, the only way you're going to get one at retail is by essentially doing that anyway by buying other things.

Three - Simply wait.

Four - Don't choose one of the most widely unobtainable watches in the world to get at retail before a specific timeframe. There's probably 200+ people ahead of you on their registrations who are much more well positioned to be allocated that watch I'm afraid. There's always a bigger fish.
Old 16 July 2024, 06:42 PM   #30
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Quote:
I don't buy grey as I've never had to and would like to not pay double the price. Should I wait it out even if it never comes or pick something else?
As you won't buy grey, then keep waiting. Buying something else as a compromise probably won't work.
Closed Thread