The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2024, 01:47 PM   #1
David16800
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16800
Inherited 1982 Submariner Date Questions

Hello, I inherited this 1982 Submariner from my dad. I have the original box, original outer box, the certificate with the serial number, the red seal, the anchor, the two booklets for Submariner & Oyster Perpetual and a couple of receipts for service, one from 1999 $600 and the other 2009 $395.

I plan on getting it serviced, no matter the cost.

I'm not a watch person but I quickly ran into the concept of don't let Rolex change the hands, don't change the dial and don't even polish it because it will destroy the value. So that's where my questions come in. Normally, I'm the kind of person that tries to keep things like this like the day I bought them, I don't customize things to make it my own etc.

How much does it devalue the watch really to have replacement parts?
If they replace hands, crystal, bezel would they replace the dial? There's nothing wrong with the dial I guess but of course it doesn't glow. Do they replace those with current Submariner parts so it looks like a new 2024 watch? So I could go either way and am undecided if I want it totally original, or if I'd want it looking brand new.

So what's your advice? Since its not in tip-top shape and obviously well-worn, is it going to hurt the value that much to do whatever they recommend? I'd like to see people's opinions who are more knowledgeable on what I'm doing. So how's that for post #1? This has to be a common question but I didn't find anything on it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts or advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3954.jpg (143.2 KB, 461 views)
David16800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 02:41 PM   #2
cajuntiger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5512
changing the hands and dial could decrease value by as much as 50%. Its hard to tell from your photos, but I dont see anything that would justify replacing either...frankly it looks to be in nice condition

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 03:48 PM   #3
karleone
"TRF" Member

Dont send it to Rolex or RSC as they will most likely change the dial (they will most likely replace your tritium matte dial by a luminova glossy service dial) , hands, bezel insert and polish the watch. Try to find a well known watchmaker that can service the movement without replacing any of the mentioned parts.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 03:51 PM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

In other words you have an original matte tritium dial with matching hands and a faded bezel insert with a sharp case. That’s a special and valuable watch. If you send it to Rolex and they replace a lot of parts with service parts it won’t be special and valuable any more.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 04:55 PM   #5
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

RSC does not replace anything without your permission. There is a good chance RSC will service your watch without requiring the dial, hands, etc replaced. You can opt out of polishing as well.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 05:09 PM   #6
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
OP, you have a rare palletoni (matte dial) 16800 that was only made for the first few years of the 80s. Don’t have the hands or dial touched! Keep the bezel insert original as well. The case looks to be in good shape, so no real need to polish! Just be careful with the lume pip - they have been known to fall out. This piece looks to be all original (assuming the bracelet is original).

Otherwise, lovely piece. Service it by a good independent, and have the o-rings replaced and the watch pressure tested to 10 bar at least.

You’ll be good to go! Congrats again! A beautiful (and rare!!!) sub!
Old 19 July 2024, 05:58 PM   #7
winst
"TRF" Member

Hi OP, lovely watch. I am in the minority, but like my watches to look as good as possible and have useable lume etc. I believe that if you spoke to an RSC & explained it was a family heirloom, you could possibly have the dial and hands changed to service ones and keep the original ones if you pay a 50% surcharge on top of the price of the service ones. Also, you could potentially send it in without the bracelet and say you’ve lost the bracelet, buy a new service bracelet and then keep that for the future so you had the original bracelet, hands and dial should you ever wish to reinstate them.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 10:02 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You have a collectible heirloom. Yes, it will destroy the value to replace the original parts with modern service parts.
Old 19 July 2024, 10:29 PM   #9
David16800
"TRF" Member

Wow, 50% that’s an eye opener, I had no idea! Thanks for that.
Old 20 July 2024, 01:20 AM   #10
David16800
"TRF" Member

Thank you

Thank you everyone for the advice & replies. The 50% got me and I will keep it as is. But now I am unsure about getting it serviced. I'm not going to know who is a good independent vs who is not etc. One person says you can ask Rolex to not replace parts another says they'll do it anyway. So I guess I will find a dealer and go in to talk to them about it and let them know what I want and see what they say.
Old 20 July 2024, 06:51 AM   #11
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David16800 View Post
Wow, 50% that’s an eye opener, I had no idea! Thanks for that.
It’s not disastrous, as if the dial & hands are $500 it’s an additional $250, but you’ve then got a fully lumed like new dial & hands with the old ones to keep.

Do not send it in on the bracelet though if you want a new one or if it has a fair bit of stretch in it, because they will apply the same surcharge to that if they say you need a new one and you want to keep your Dad’s original bracelet.
Old 20 July 2024, 07:21 AM   #12
cajuntiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
It’s not disastrous, as if the dial & hands are $500 it’s an additional $250, but you’ve then got a fully lumed like new dial & hands with the old ones to keep.

Do not send it in on the bracelet though if you want a new one or if it has a fair bit of stretch in it, because they will apply the same surcharge to that if they say you need a new one and you want to keep your Dad’s original bracelet.
Im note sure where you are getting your numbers from...but
I was strictly talking about valuation of the complete watch before and after replacing parts. The watch has significantly more value now than it ever would with the dial, hands and bezel being replaced with service parts...thats a fact.

RE: Keeping the parts
This may sound like a good idea, although Rolex in the past has not offered this option. Not so sure about today. Regardless...your going to spend at least $1500 or more to return the original dial and hands to the watch...this is after spending 2-3k minimum to replace them with service parts in the first place and the odds they get damaged while you store them at home and later in service to put them back on the watch are extremely high. Unless your a serious collector and know how to handle this its a really bad idea and the costs involved are just prohibitive.

@heuerautavia
Old 20 July 2024, 07:25 AM   #13
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

is it just my eyes or does your dial look like it's turning brown?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 07:31 AM   #14
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
Im note sure where you are getting your numbers from...but
I was strictly talking about valuation before and after replacing parts. The watch has significantly more value now than it ever would with the dial, hands and bezel being replaced...thats a fact.

RE: Keeping the parts
This may sound like a good idea, although Rolex in the past has not offered this option. Not so sure about today. Regardless...your going to spend at least $1500 or more to return the original dial and hands to the watch...this is after spending 2-3k minimum to replace them with service parts in the first place and the odds they get damaged while you store them at home and later in service to put them back on the watch are extremely high. Unless your a serious collector and know how to handle this its a really bad idea and the costs involved are just prohibitive.
With respect, I don’t think you’re reading the OP’s first post and my responses properly. I’m not saying it would add value, I’m saying if he wished to have a fully lumed dial and hands that would be an option for him where he could keep the originals as well.

I can only go off my own experience with 1969 & 1970 Rolex 6426’s where I did the same thing. I am not telling the OP he should do this, I am merely telling him what I believe is possible through my own experiences with my RSC. I realise 6426’s aren’t held in the same esteem as the Sub, but they are my favourite Rolex and one of them is my Father’s old watch which he gave me last year and I remember him buying when I was a child when we were on a family holiday in Malta.

Have a great weekend by the way!
Old 20 July 2024, 07:50 AM   #15
cajuntiger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With respect, I don’t think you’re reading the OP’s first post and my responses properly. I’m not saying it would add value, I’m saying if he wished to have a fully lumed dial and hands that would be an option for him where he could keep the originals as well.

I can only go off my own experience with 1969 & 1970 Rolex 6426’s where I did the same thing. I am not telling the OP he should do this, I am merely telling him what I believe is possible through my own experiences with my RSC. I realise 6426’s aren’t held in the same esteem as the Sub, but they are my favourite Rolex and one of them is my Father’s old watch which he gave me last year and I remember him buying when I was a child when we were on a family holiday in Malta.

Have a great weekend by the way!
I did read his post. The question I answered was:

he is not asking what the parts are worth, at least thats how I read it.

@heuerautavia
Old 20 July 2024, 10:03 AM   #16
David16800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
I did read his post. The question I answered was:

he is not asking what the parts are worth, at least thats how I read it.

Yes, I’m new to this and did not know how much is lost on the overall watch value should those parts be replaced in a servicing. I appreciate the conversation and I have a lot to learn so I’ll keep reading here.
On another note, about how much will it cost if I took this to a Rolex dealer and ask for it to be just serviced, sealed & a new crystal, and requesting no polishing, no replacement hands or dial? Would they even do that?
Old 20 July 2024, 10:42 AM   #17
David16800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
is it just my eyes or does your dial look like it's turning brown?
Looks black to me in person. That was just a quick snap with my iPhone. I’ll take a closer look in daylight and see if I see any discoloration.
Old 20 July 2024, 11:43 AM   #18
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Send it to Phillip Ridley. Ridleywatchmakers.com
Old 20 July 2024, 02:40 PM   #19
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If it was me I’d be sending it to a good recommended independent for a service. Great looking watch by the way
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 08:57 PM   #20
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Yes, I’m new to this and did not know how much is lost on the overall watch value should those parts be replaced in a servicing. I appreciate the conversation and I have a lot to learn so I’ll keep reading here.
On another note, about how much will it cost if I took this to a Rolex dealer and ask for it to be just serviced, sealed & a new crystal, and requesting no polishing, no replacement hands or dial? Would they even do that?
As everyone said I'd recommend a independent - my Watchmaker SHWR would charge me c £400 tops for what you stated.

Unless the crystal is badly scratched, chipped or nibbled at the edge, I'd consider keeping the original (as you would with a winding crown which is slightly narrower on an original over a service one). As, like the earlier plexi acrylics on 1680, the service 16800 crystals sit a tiny bit taller and have a harsher edge on them than the original sapphires.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 11:27 PM   #21
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
RSC does not replace anything without your permission. There is a good chance RSC will service your watch without requiring the dial, hands, etc replaced. You can opt out of polishing as well.
Finally, much needed sensibility here.

I've had numerous watches serviced. RSC has always asked for my consent prior to rendering service.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 12:48 AM   #22
David16800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
As everyone said I'd recommend a independent - my Watchmaker SHWR would charge me c £400 tops for what you stated.

Unless the crystal is badly scratched, chipped or nibbled at the edge, I'd consider keeping the original (as you would with a winding crown which is slightly narrower on an original over a service one). As, like the earlier plexi acrylics on 1680, the service 16800 crystals sit a tiny bit taller and have a harsher edge on them than the original sapphires.
Yes, there’s chipping on the crystal lower edge from about 5 to 7. That’s the only real damage on it. No scratches on the crystal otherwise.
Old 21 July 2024, 12:58 AM   #23
David16800
"TRF" Member

Send it to Phillip Ridley.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:03 AM   #24
David16800
"TRF" Member

Are there any recommendations for a Rolex dealer or independent watchmaker for service in the Chicagoland area? I’d feel much better taking it in in person vs shipping it somewhere.
Old 23 July 2024, 09:24 AM   #25
David16800
"TRF" Member

Having read the pinned thread "Vintage Rolex Buyer's Guidance to determine the originality of your watch" I am now of the opinion that this watch probably has had replacement parts from the 1999 service it had. It was a Rolex Service Center service, returned with a one year warranty card filled out, the service booklet & the box it probably came back in. Looking at it in person, I think the pearl patina does not match the lume patina of the dial and hands. The lume doesn't look aged much, it just doesn't glow.

So, are old replacement parts better than new replacement parts in terms of the value hit? Or would it be about the same value with new replacement parts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 July 2024, 10:38 AM   #26
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I'm fairly certain the dial, hands and pip are period (tarnishing,ageing) even if not original and an RSC would not have had 79-84 dials still in stock to replace a matte dial apart from perhaps in 1985,86,87 and even then i doubt it.
I think you're overthinking it bit as 16800 matte dials range from very white to very dark brown (luck of the draw on patina development) and none will lume up under UV btw - It's a nice piece.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 11:44 AM   #27
David16800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
I'm fairly certain the dial, hands and pip are period (tarnishing,ageing) even if not original and an RSC would not have had 79-84 dials still in stock to replace a matte dial apart from perhaps in 1985,86,87 and even then i doubt it.
I think you're overthinking it bit as 16800 matte dials range from very white to very dark brown (luck of the draw on patina development) and none will lume up under UV btw - It's a nice piece.

That makes sense. "I think you're overthinking it bit..." oh my gosh, I sure am! More than a bit. I don't want to do the wrong thing, and I surely would have without advice like this. Thank you.
Old 23 July 2024, 12:44 PM   #28
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
That makes sense. "I think you're overthinking it bit..." oh my gosh, I sure am! More than a bit. I don't want to do the wrong thing, and I surely would have without advice like this. Thank you.

If it was mine I would not send it to RSC. I also would not replace anything on the watch except maybe the crystal.

I know you said you want someone in Chicago area and I absolutely understand not wanting to send it away. That being said Rik Dietel with Time Care Inc. did the service on my watch. I’m not disparaging Phillip Ridley just giving my recommendation. It came out better from Rik than when I purchased it . If your bracelet is stretched you can send it to rollieworks and they will make it like brand new.

Point of all that is, you may not find the person or company that will do right by your watch by sticking to the Chicago area for an independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 10:09 PM   #29
Texasjim
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ...this!
OP, If yo want to change anything out on that watch, do it…but keep the old parts.

Folks get too wrapped up in “it has to be all original”, most, and I mean most are not original. When these watches were purchased, most folks had a slightly different sentiment towards these watches as compared to today. If a dial or hand lost lume, they replaced it. If the bezel got scratched, they replaced it. If they sent in the watch for service, owners wanted it back looking new again.

I love a sweaty, patina, old Rolex…got tons of em. But there is also something cool about a “restored like new” older style.

You do you….

Cheers, Jim
Old 27 July 2024, 12:47 AM   #30
studioal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi OP, lovely watch. I am in the minority, but like my watches to look as good as possible and have useable lume etc. I believe that if you spoke to an RSC & explained it was a family heirloom, you could possibly have the dial and hands changed to service ones and keep the original ones if you pay a 50% surcharge on top of the price of the service ones. Also, you could potentially send it in without the bracelet and say you’ve lost the bracelet, buy a new service bracelet and then keep that for the future so you had the original bracelet, hands and dial should you ever wish to reinstate them.
I'm sorry, but I feel 100% the opposite. Let vintage be vintage. Buy modern if you need all the bells and whistles. How often are you really in need of good working lume? Be honest with yourself.

I wouldn't touch this watch, it looks amazing. I might be able to get a Chicago area recommend for you.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote