The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2024, 03:54 AM   #31
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio0811 View Post
seriously I get at least 2 emails a week from my local Omega Boutique and I haven't visited them since March. They're directly next to a Rolex boutique and hurting.
just checked my spam email. Hoping i too would get an email from Omega. Nothing lol.

Damn you Omega NYC (Brookfield Place)
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 05:37 AM   #32
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
This is why Rolex will always be king

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
Rolex will "always" be king because of their marketing prowess. Not because of how great their products actually are. There are watches that are WAY better than Rolex. But the amount of people that actually believes in their marketing power has no boundaries.

I always told my watch friends that the absolute BEST watch in my collection isn't my one of my Rolexs, Tudors, or Omegas... But actually is my Citizen World Perpetual. It always accurate because its radio controlled with a tower in Colorado. It's a traveler's watch because you can set it to whatever country/time zone that you're in.. And also, the calendar is 100% accurate, I do not have to correct the date whenever it lands on an odd month... Not to mention, it's eco drive... I haven't taken it out of my watch box in over 6 months... And that sucker is still ticking, hold both accurate time and date. The other only watch that can compete with it would be my Casio GShock, which does almost the same thing. But to me, my Citizen World Perpetual is my KING of my collection. I know it's not a watch that commands a lot of attention, rarity, or money. But that watch for me ticks off every box that I would want in a watch.

The marketing prowess of Rolex is often over exaggerated on TRF. If you don’t have great products backing it up, marketing becomes a lot more challenging and inconsequential.

In order to run a successful business, you have to be good at EVERYTHING. You can’t just rely on marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 05:47 AM   #33
Krash

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Rolex is the Harvard of luxury watchmaking.

Ask anyone who is into watches what is the best watch and they will have many answers in the same way if your asked students/professors which is the best university.

However if you asked if you could have a degree from anywhere (similar to if you could have any watch), the answer would most likely be Harvard (Rolex).

Not necessarily the best, just the one everyone wants.

I’ve had a couple bad experiences with hiring people from Harvard. Plus, I think Ivy League schools have lost their luster over the last decade or so.

But I do agree that Rolex is the apex watch brand. I would just use a different analogy than Harvard.

Old 19 July 2024, 06:00 AM   #34
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex will "always" be king because of their marketing prowess. Not because of how great their products actually are. There are watches that are WAY better than Rolex. But the amount of people that actually believes in their marketing power has no boundaries.

I always told my watch friends that the absolute BEST watch in my collection isn't my one of my Rolexs, Tudors, or Omegas... But actually is my Citizen World Perpetual. It always accurate because its radio controlled with a tower in Colorado. It's a traveler's watch because you can set it to whatever country/time zone that you're in.. And also, the calendar is 100% accurate, I do not have to correct the date whenever it lands on an odd month... Not to mention, it's eco drive... I haven't taken it out of my watch box in over 6 months... And that sucker is still ticking, hold both accurate time and date. The other only watch that can compete with it would be my Casio GShock, which does almost the same thing. But to me, my Citizen World Perpetual is my KING of my collection. I know it's not a watch that commands a lot of attention, rarity, or money. But that watch for me ticks off every box that I would want in a watch.
I am fan of Eco-Drive. I only have one Citizen watch, most are simply too big for my taste, but I do like Citizen overall. The caliber 0100 is amazing.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 06:01 AM   #35
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
The marketing prowess of Rolex is often over exaggerated on TRF. If you don’t have great products backing it up, marketing becomes a lot more challenging and inconsequential.

In order to run a successful business, you have to be good at EVERYTHING. You can’t just rely on marketing.

How is Rolex's marketing exaggerated? That's what makes Rolex great. They're the BEST in marketing and advertising. And they are constantly in your face. Why else are they being advertised on the world's stage? Such as ALL the major sporting events, movies, pop culture, and etc.

And to run a successful business, you have to be good at everything? McDonald's Corp is a pretty damn succesful company. But by no means are their food products the "best". But what makes them great is also their marketing. Convincing their consumers to buy their crappy products. And tons of consumers are doing so.

Albeit Rolex is a great marketing machine and a highly successful company. But by no means are their watches the "best" ever. I am not going to get too much into it. But i've handled a few GMTs and Subs during my time, where the bezels were often misaligned by a smig. If you're going to say Rolex is the KING, quality control issues shouldn't be one of them.
Old 19 July 2024, 06:37 AM   #36
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
just checked my spam email. Hoping i too would get an email from Omega. Nothing lol.

Damn you Omega NYC (Brookfield Place)
Lol mine is Short Hills, directly next door to a Rolex Boutique and directly below them boutiques for IWC, Brietling and Panerai
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 06:43 AM   #37
Krash

Quote:
How is Rolex's marketing exaggerated? That's what makes Rolex great. They're the BEST in marketing and advertising. And they are constantly in your face. Why else are they being advertised on the world's stage? Such as ALL the major sporting events, movies, pop culture, and etc.

And to run a successful business, you have to be good at everything? McDonald's Corp is a pretty damn succesful company. But by no means are their food products the "best". But what makes them great is also their marketing. Convincing their consumers to buy their crappy products. And tons of consumers are doing so.

Albeit Rolex is a great marketing machine and a highly successful company. But by no means are their watches the "best" ever. I am not going to get too much into it. But i've handled a few GMTs and Subs during my time, where the bezels were often misaligned by a smig. If you're going to say Rolex is the KING, quality control issues shouldn't be one of them.

I’m not saying they don’t have great marketing. I’m saying you still have to have great products backing them up. Great marketing is just an ingredient in the overall recipe that makes Rolex special.

Rolex has defects like every company does, but their heritage of producing great products overtime speaks for itself.

Btw, egg McMuffins are a great product. Love those things…

Old 19 July 2024, 07:44 AM   #38
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

'only great marketing is needed to make a company successful' -- Hans Wilsdorf

How true.
Old 19 July 2024, 08:09 AM   #39
Krash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
'only great marketing is needed to make a company successful' -- Hans Wilsdorf

How true.

Ironic, because if the Rolex marketing department worked for Invicta, things would not be as grand for them.

Old 19 July 2024, 08:11 AM   #40
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ironic, because if the Rolex marketing department worked for Invicta, things would not be as grand for them.
Exactly. The Rolex marketing miracle is built on sand.
Old 19 July 2024, 01:36 PM   #41
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
All of these companies got left behind by advancing technology. Luxury wristwatches are fascinating and desirable specifically because they are anachronisms. Smartwatches exist but they are superfluous commodities with zero emotional gravity, much like those products in your examples.
Spot on!
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 10:57 PM   #42
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Part of Rolex's attractiveness used to be owning one was aspirational.

Now with the crazy/disrespectful AD games, this could change things.

I know it has for me.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2024, 11:27 PM   #43
sombra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I own a couple of Rolex watches that I love. I also own a Citizen Atessa Hakuto-R super titanium eco drive that uses satellite gps. What an incredible watch.
sombra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:10 AM   #44
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Part of Rolex's attractiveness used to be owning one was aspirational.
Newsflash

for 99.9% of people, it still is.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:14 AM   #45
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:

Yeh I really like this take - it's all to easy to just say Rolex is a success based on its marketing alone. It's not - it makes damn fantastic watches, objectively. It has done for decades and I suspect will continue to.

As you say, it's all well and good having the masterplan in the marketing department, but if your product is lacklustre, everyone sees through it, especially today!
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 02:56 AM   #46
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
With the rise of smart watches the smartest thing these companies can do it push up-market. There's no money in the mid-low range mechanical watch market anymore. Go to an airport sometime and look around. 90% of everyone you see will have on either a smart watch or no watch on. All these companies are fighting for that 10% that values upper segment luxury. You don't see a lot of Movado, Hamilton, Oris, Tissot, etc. watches being worn anymore.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 03:27 AM   #47
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Newsflash

for 99.9% of people, it still is.

Appreciate your being open to diverse points of view.

Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:08 AM   #48
karleone
"TRF" Member

While there are watches with finer finishes, more exclusive designs, and more intricate movements, no brand brings together all the following qualities as seamlessly as Rolex: timeless design, simple yet reliable in-house movements, excellent build quality and finish, slim profiles, beautifully crafted and comfortable bracelets, and waterproof durability for daily wear. In my opinion, there's no better brand than Rolex.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 04:36 AM   #49
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
While there are watches with finer finishes, more exclusive designs, and more intricate movements, no brand brings together all the following qualities as seamlessly as Rolex: timeless design, simple yet reliable in-house movements, excellent build quality and finish, slim profiles, beautifully crafted and comfortable bracelets, and waterproof durability for daily wear. In my opinion, there's no better brand than Rolex.
This is just fanboy silliness.
Old 20 July 2024, 05:15 AM   #50
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is just fanboy silliness.
Give me other brands that offer everything I mentionned?
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 05:23 AM   #51
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

“Always” doesn’t exist. Rolex, just like everyone else can quickly be back to where they were several times before when interest goes away. And Rolex in particular caters to a very specific market segment right now - and that can easily can come and bite them.
The way potential customers are treated - and the focus on bling and relatively simple and solid watches as jewelry could become an issue in the long run.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 05:48 AM   #52
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I worked at Microsoft in the day... Our VP would tell us - "We are the best because we are the smartest people in the world." Wrong message. Should have been saying - work hard, there are a lot of hungry companies ready to eat our lunch. I'm sure Rolex marketing people are very smart but they are not special, they were born on 3rd base and have been gifted a great brand. I would be worried and always looking in the rear view mirror. Things can change overnight. SMH about the Microsoft problems today - that's certainly not good for the brand. Microsoft went from King to now a profitable follower.

I think Rolex plays a dangerous game. Walking into a store and not being able to buy the product is very strange for a any sort of brand. I was at my AD a couple of weeks ago trying on some of the "display only" models. The sales woman could not have been more bored with me. Then I strolled over to the Panerai and Tudor displays and she turned into a different person. I had never really considered Panerai. I was very interested. Still researching the heck out of them. I will probably pick up one or two in the next few months. Which you can buy same day. Now if I could have purchased a Rolex that day I probably would have never looked at Panerai.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 06:17 AM   #53
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Quote:

you're just falling into the hype that Rolex's marketing team had created. There are tons of brands that are equally as good as our beloved Rolex. But fanboys will never admit to it.

I'd put up Grand Seiko as one brand that is up there with Rolex. Probably better too.
Old 20 July 2024, 08:05 AM   #54
Krash

Quote:
you're just falling into the hype that Rolex's marketing team had created. There are tons of brands that are equally as good as our beloved Rolex. But fanboys will never admit to it.

I'd put up Grand Seiko as one brand that is up there with Rolex. Probably better too.

Tons?

lol

Perfect example of how people over-exaggerate Rolex’s marketing team.

Old 20 July 2024, 08:13 AM   #55
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tudor, Omega, Grand Seiko, IWC, Zenith, how many do you want?

This idea that Rolex is the pinnacle is ridiculous. Rolex make mid-tier quality watches and have excellent marketing - most of which is based on embellishment of the facts, if you bother to look into it.
Old 20 July 2024, 08:17 AM   #56
Krash

Quote:
Tudor, Omega, Grand Seiko, IWC, Zenith, how many do you want?

This idea that Rolex is the pinnacle is ridiculous. Rolex make mid-tier quality watches and have excellent marketing - most of which is based on embellishment of the facts, if you bother to look into it.

I love Tudor and Omega, no doubt. But I think you’re pushing things a little there. People aren’t buying what you’re selling.

Old 20 July 2024, 08:27 AM   #57
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love Tudor and Omega, no doubt. But I think you’re pushing things a little there. People aren’t buying what you’re selling.
Think what you like, I'm not selling anything and if you're ever in a cult, then you'll never know it. Ignorance is bliss, they say.
Old 20 July 2024, 08:28 AM   #58
Krash

Quote:
Think what you like, I'm not selling anything, and if you're ever in a cult, you won't know it.

Yes, we know. It’s a cult.

Old 20 July 2024, 08:32 AM   #59
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

It's definitely a cult when you close your mind to the rest of horology, and just carry on drinking the Kool-Aid, is it not?
Old 20 July 2024, 08:36 AM   #60
Krash

Quote:
It's definitely a cult when you close your mind to the rest of horology, and just carry on drinking the Kool-Aid, is it not?

Who’s closed their mind to the rest of horology? Certainly not me. I can still love other brands but prefer Rolex.