The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2024, 11:39 PM   #1
AndrRibeiroChaves
"TRF" Member

When did AP start putting Ceramic Crowns in the Offshore Diver?

Hello Guys!

I have been considering purchasing a pre-owned the Offshore Diver and I have been torn between the Black Dial 15710 and the Gray Dial 15720.

I like the Black Dial of the 15710 better, but love the upgraded movement and quick strap change system on the 15720.

There is however, a question I don't think I can find a definitive answer for and it is about the Crowns' material. Does the 15710 features Ceramic Crowns or this upgrade only appeared in the 15720? I do think the 15707 already had them, but I am not sure as pictures seem to suggest either way.

Thank you for any input regarding this matter.
AndrRibeiroChaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 11:58 PM   #2
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
When did AP start putting Ceramic Crowns in the Offshore Diver?

I could well be wrong here but I believe that the Japan edition of the 1571x series was the first and perhaps only 1571x series of divers to have had ceramic crowns? I think this watch was released around 2018 and come the 1572x series of divers all models now have ceramic crowns.

I’m happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable.

Edited to add that as an owner of a 15720ST with a grey dial I love it. The movement fills out the case back much more so in my opinion.

And all threads need photos right…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 12:21 AM   #3
AndrRibeiroChaves
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the reply!

thank you for the quick and insightful reply. Lovely picture by the way.

Another mystery to me is the actual color of the rotating bezel in the gray dial Diver. Some photos suggest a brighter blue, others almost black. How does it look lit in real life?
Old 25 July 2024, 12:42 AM   #4
arnage
"TRF" Member

The first occurrence of the ceramic crown on an offshore diver was in 2013 -- with the introduction of the 15707ce ceramic diver. This was also (to my knowledge), the first time the offshore diver had a sapphire case back. The forged carbon diver (2012) still had rubber crowns and the solid titanium caseback.

I haven't followed the history of the more standard (steel) diver closely enough to know when the ceramic crowns were added there.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 01:55 AM   #5
AndrRibeiroChaves
"TRF" Member

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
The first occurrence of the ceramic crown on an offshore diver was in 2013 -- with the introduction of the 15707ce ceramic diver. This was also (to my knowledge), the first time the offshore diver had a sapphire case back. The forged carbon diver (2012) still had rubber crowns and the solid titanium caseback.

I haven't followed the history of the more standard (steel) diver closely enough to know when the ceramic crowns were added there.
That confirms what I thought about the Ceramic Diver. As for the Steel 15710 Black Dial I have seen pics that are clearly rubber and others that seem ceramic, thus my confusion.
Old 25 July 2024, 10:39 AM   #6
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrRibeiroChaves View Post
thank you for the quick and insightful reply. Lovely picture by the way.

Another mystery to me is the actual color of the rotating bezel in the gray dial Diver. Some photos suggest a brighter blue, others almost black. How does it look lit in real life?

It always looks blue to me which fits the overall watch much better than black would (in my view). I did read some reviews/articles stating that it was black but it’s 100% blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote