The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2024, 06:42 AM   #1
davie489
"TRF" Member

Call from AP and not sure whether to accept

Hi there

I just had a call from AP that my 15720 diver allocation has come in… I’ve been waiting 2 years for the watch …. At that time retail price was £21k and now the same watch is at £26k .grey is now cheaper…. What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m finding it hard to say yes considering the mark up. Also I would take allocation as would help to get a RO.
davie489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:04 AM   #2
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I just looked at the Blue and Yellow version on CH24 and it was 8=10K cheaper on the grey and thinking to myself hummmmmm this is a hell of a deal lol
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:13 AM   #3
Gandor
"TRF" Member

It's the only highly finished professional diver out there. It's a hell of a watch and a great way into AP.
Old 24 July 2024, 07:14 AM   #4
Steele
"TRF" Member

here it is this is the 15710ST and $14k USD Cheaper as 26K Pounds = $33k USD I also saw the White version recently for like $20-$21USD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-07-23 171310.jpg (53.5 KB, 1363 views)
Old 24 July 2024, 07:40 AM   #5
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
here it is this is the 15710ST and $14k USD Cheaper as 26K Pounds = $33k USD I also saw the White version recently for like $20-$21USD
The older version will sell at a discount to the newer divers with the quick connect strap system. My green diver I see selling at or just slightly below MSRP from when I bought it two years ago.

OP, the real question is, what type of a relationship do you want with AP? If you are done with a RO just buy the diver and RO grey market. Otherwise, if you want to build a long term relationship and build a collection, this is a great watch to start with.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:57 AM   #6
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Like others above said, it depends on what you want out of the AP relationship. If you want to be one and done with an RO, depending on which one, just go buy used. Probably only a small markup these days.

If you are after a Jumbo, OW, Ceramic in the long run, start the relationship with AP. There will be paper losses on certain pieces you acquire during your journey, and there will be some paper gains to offset that. The paper gains aren’t that great anyways, even if you are “up” your cost of capital is relatively high since the markets are doing relatively well. If you are only concerned about nominal values, you will likely be net even or net positive in the long run over your entire AP collection

at the end of the day, if you aren’t planning to sell/flip anytime soon it doesn’t really matter. Just buy what you want at a price & from a channel you want.

In terms of the watch, it’s a great piece. I have the khaki and I absolutely love it. Haven’t worn it for a year but will go back to the diver as a daily soon.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 08:07 AM   #7
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie489 View Post
Hi there

I just had a call from AP that my 15720 diver allocation has come in… I’ve been waiting 2 years for the watch …. At that time retail price was £21k and now the same watch is at £26k .grey is now cheaper…. What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m finding it hard to say yes considering the mark up. Also I would take allocation as would help to get a RO.
For me it's a no-brainer I would much prefer to buy from an ad.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 08:52 AM   #8
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

You get what you pay for………
If you want to buy 100% authentic merchandise you buy from AP or their AD.
If you want to save $$$ and get it cheaper from a Gray then that is your right.
Do what you think is best short AND long term…….
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 11:06 AM   #9
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Unless you are starting a collection of AP watches, otherwise go grey. Getting a Diver now doesn't guarantee a RO next. It might come as your 3rd or 4th watch, depending on which RO and of course, luck.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 11:40 AM   #10
Broadbear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
Unless you are starting a collection of AP watches, otherwise go grey. Getting a Diver now doesn't guarantee a RO next. It might come as your 3rd or 4th watch, depending on which RO and of course, luck.

I thought buying a ROO/ code would make you eligible to get a RO, and for a 3rd you’re definitely eligible for one. I’m not sure what’s their policy these days so your input would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 12:10 PM   #11
APhound
"TRF" Member

Whether you go grey or not is a tough one.. if there’s enough savings I say go for it. But regardless it’s a pretty sweet watch to have. Wore mine today and really enjoyed it.
What color are you looking at?

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 01:49 PM   #12
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbear View Post
I thought buying a ROO/ code would make you eligible to get a RO, and for a 3rd you’re definitely eligible for one. I’m not sure what’s their policy these days so your input would be helpful

Eligible doesn't mean you are guaranteed allocated a RO as your next.
Old 24 July 2024, 03:01 PM   #13
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

They took 2 years to allocate this to you? Doesn’t sound promising then for a 15510 or Jumbo.

This trades real low (at least in Singapore).

If you just want a 15510 go grey and skip this. They also trading low now.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:27 PM   #14
Steele
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi there

As for the allocation journey I do NoT think starting today will be any easier than starting 2-3 years ago to get the RO. They have now stepped up their Women’s watches push with the new CEO so lots of pieces coming out are all 37mm and smaller and this will be great for existing RO values but take up valuable RO 39mm and larger watchmakers time now filling the 37mm and smaller production pieces
Old 24 July 2024, 04:11 PM   #15
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
It's the only highly finished professional diver out there. It's a hell of a watch and a great way into AP.
It is not! It is not a professional diver is what I mean. Nor it is finished well…

There are quite a few well finished divers out there, none are professional though..
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 04:35 PM   #16
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Hi there

1. Do you still want the watch?
2. Do you intend to buy more AP’s going forward? If so what’s your long term goal? If it’s just to buy a 15510 then maybe grey is easer/cheaper. If it’s to build a long term collection then buying from AP will be a better route.

Only you know the best option for you. For me I like to buy brand new and from an authorised route as I always intend every watch to be a keeper. Life doesn’t always work that way though.

Right now prices are dropping and there are opportunities to buy things cheaper grey, but that’s across many things at the moment. House prices have been falling, car prices etc. Things have been tough lately. That might not always be the case. Prices may well pick up again and if going grey rules you out of getting X next time, consider building a relationship. If it’s a one off then maybe save the money if you’re happy buying ore owned.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:24 PM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi there

Buying watches that go below MSRP grey and the ROs and ROCs that have a premium from the boutique is a good idea. Unfortunately, AP hates this trick.

If the final goal is a single RO and you're ambivalent about the diver, going grey might be easier and cheaper than "the journey".
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 01:40 AM   #18
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
It is not! It is not a professional diver is what I mean. Nor it is finished well…

There are quite a few well finished divers out there, none are professional though..
Find me another 300m dive watch with even comparable finishing? Maybe the JLC master compressor, but even then I put the 15720 higher.
Old 25 July 2024, 02:31 AM   #19
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
My personal consensus is that I will pay up to 10% premium for the AD experience and relationship. If the exact same watch and condition can be had in the grey market for >10% discount then I will go grey.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 02:34 AM   #20
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Well Davie did you fella?
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 04:34 AM   #21
Mighty_Kraken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Find me another 300m dive watch with even comparable finishing? Maybe the JLC master compressor, but even then I put the 15720 higher.
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.
Mighty_Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 08:58 AM   #22
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Kraken View Post
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.
ew
Old 25 July 2024, 10:03 AM   #23
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty_kraken View Post
blancpain fifty fathoms.
Seriously???
Old 25 July 2024, 10:18 AM   #24
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ew
The Fifty Fathoms is finished better on the inside and had a better movement, the AP better finished on the outside, I'd call it a tie but the FF is cheaper.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 04:54 PM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
The Fifty Fathoms is finished better on the inside and had a better movement, the AP better finished on the outside, I'd call it a tie but the FF is cheaper.
If you say so. 120h reserve is cool. Finishing looks fine for what it is, but not really blowing me away. Not feeling that center screw in the rotor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF_movement.jpg (173.3 KB, 881 views)
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 07:12 PM   #26
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AP “diver” is not really a diving watch. Internal bezel is incredibly difficult to operate in any real diving situations (unless one is desk or pool diving). I am not quite sure how that design choice was ever made!

Now, once u realize it ain’t a diver, I am sure u can find a better alternative in terms of finishing.

Well finished diver ain’t a thing for a reason, divers mostly don’t care about movement finishing. It is function over form. That is why Rolex is actually used as a diver. I am in Crete for vacation and diving instructor has Submariner. Old school guy.

Now if u absolutely must have a diving watch with decent finishing and 300m rating, I guess RM 28/32 could do it. I actually cringed typing this.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 08:33 PM   #27
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think you should savor the journey and begin here with the diver. Next you can maybe get a code chrono. That sounds fun!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 10:45 PM   #28
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I think you should savor the journey and begin here with the diver. Next you can maybe get a code chrono. That sounds fun!

Lol. Do I detect a slight bit of sarcasm here?
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 11:34 PM   #29
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
If you hesitate it’s probably that you don’t love it.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 12:05 AM   #30
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Lmao

@OP what did you decide?if you’re not giddy over getting the call (sounds like you’re not), I’d pass.