The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 July 2024, 10:41 AM   #1
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

1978 "Orange Hand" Explorer / original owner has questions

Howdy. :)

I'll jump straight to it.

Bought new from a brick & mortar shop in Kansas City in August of 1978.

I am not, and have never been, a collector.

I knew nothing of the model's popularity (or lack of it) at that time. I simply wanted a rugged, daily wear watch.

It was worn daily until 2008, when the stem popped out further than normal, and I was living somewhere that made repair impractical. It's been on a shelf ever since.

It was cleaned once in Feb 2003, and the face's "glow rectangles" were reinforced with a luminous paint "touch up".

I think the crystal was also replaced at that time, but can't swear to it (I've simply forgotten).

One of the band links also has a kink in it.

I do not have the box or any paperwork. As i said, at the time of purchase it was simply (to me) a rugged, high quality watch. I didn't even know people collected them. I do remember the salesman's "spelunker" pitch is what hooked me. lol

Anyway, I'm now getting on in years and starting to take stock of personal items with potential value. A friend told me the other day that some Explorers are so-called "Steve McQueen" models, and to do an Internet dive to learn more.

And here I am. :)

Anyone care to tell me a bit about what I have?

Thanks

---------------------

Hm...

I just tried to attach a close-up photo of the watch face, and learned that I have to have a minimum number of posts to do so.

I get that, but cannot meaninfully converse about anything to do with watches to CREATE that post count. lol

Is this a common enough situation that there's a work-around of some sort, or another option? (Asking for info without pics is pointless)
Infoseeker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 01:03 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

There is no minimum post count to attach an appropriately sized photo. Click on Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments. Unfortunately, the forum has very strict size limits for attached photos, so you will probably need to crop and adjust the file size.

Sounds like you are aware that you have a ref 1655 Explorer. When you post photos, you might also let us know if you have any specific questions.
Old 23 July 2024, 01:25 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Posting photos can be a chore.

You are welcome to PM me the photo(s) - then I can post up the image(s) for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 01:52 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
As mentioned you need to post a photo or two. Your watch sounds interesting so looking forward to the photos
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 02:07 PM   #5
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
nice! always loved the 1655s.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 02:33 PM   #6
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the fast response. :)

It turns out I uploaded my pic to a photo host site then tried to put a LINK to that site into this thread, which is a no-no for newbies.

The link is now "internal" (so to speak), and appears to work fine.

PS --- I can try to take a better photo + from different angles if something necessary to ID the watch is missing from this one.

Thanks again

---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070215.jpg (191.4 KB, 540 views)
Old 23 July 2024, 05:28 PM   #7
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
Looks like a Mk2 dial with a Mk2 bezel. Look at the crown guards from the sides. The earlier cases have a slightly sharper guard, the later ones are more rounded.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 06:32 PM   #8
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Great guide about 1655 here sir

https://www.watchprozine.com/rolex/t...w/3417081/732/
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 07:06 PM   #9
Jaegodylan
"TRF" Member

Nice to see an honest one owner watch.. the crown stem issue should be easily remedied by any watchmaker.

The photo looks a bit washed out due to lighting if you can post another of it in natural light that would help with assessing the state of the dial.

It is of course now a rather valuable watch.
Jaegodylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 07:19 PM   #10
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

I came to the right place for information, for sure.

I had no idea there were several versions of the watch, or that the whole "Steve McQueen" thing is apparently uban legend.

The "seen as a tool first, with elegance not part of the intended design" definitely makes sense, and is entirely true. It's what made me choose it over other models when I bought it back in '78.

A final question, then:

I know with old(ish) collectables of any kind, the three most important things are condition, condition, and condition...

Given that mine has been ridden hard and put away wet, is it worth having a certified Rolex restoration, or just have the minimum necessary done by a decent non-certified repair guy to make it "nice" to non-collector eyes?

Since the difference in price between those two routes is considerable, and I'm far from being in a money-is-no-object situation, the answer to that will be the decider.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out an Old Guy. Much appreciated.
Old 23 July 2024, 08:08 PM   #11
77T

1978 "Orange Hand" Explorer / original owner has questions

While you may have bought it in 1978, I believe Rolex manufactured it a year or more before that. Back in that era it was not unusual for some Rolex models to sit a spell in the jeweler's display case before selling.

There will be a serial number between the lugs that helps date it. The dial appears to have the markings of a dial earlier than 1978 production.

Your watch in its current condition is quite valuable and will seem costly to service by a careful watchmaker who specializes in vintage work without ruining its value.

There are 1 or 2 watchmakers capable of doing that without ruining its well earned honest scars. Ridley Watchmakers is one:
https://ridleywatchmakers.com/

Dealers would offer you some where between $15-18K as it sits - but models often sell for $25K and up in better condition.

Old 23 July 2024, 08:18 PM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If the dial was truly re-lumed, it was carefully done. I would also like to see a photo taken in natural light.
Old 23 July 2024, 11:58 PM   #13
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Consider some of the macro dial images on this link and, if you are able, try to match your own dial with them :

https://www.miltonaires.com/4543/the...s-foot-variant

Stopping a passing teenager with a modern smart-phone can often allow impressive viewing under magnification :-)
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 04:05 AM   #14
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Hello again. :)

I'm not sure what's up regarding post delay/approval, but I responded about eight hours ago but it hasn't appeared yet.

Anyway, I'm back up & awake now (I'm a nightowl), and took another photo in a shaded outdoor area. Full wavelength light, not as many reflections, etc.

Still nowhere near as good as the apparent collector standard---how do they DO that? lol ---but somewhat better than my first try.

I have access to a better camera, too, so will attempt some more shots (and angles) later today.

In the meantime, thanks again for the info so far. MUCH appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7236960.jpg (223.0 KB, 457 views)
Old 24 July 2024, 04:49 AM   #15
cajuntiger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5512
Beautiful watch!

are you using an iPhone? you need to lower the exposure a bit so we can see the lume...its overexposed in both images. Try tapping on the screen where its white/overexposed and holding your finger until you see a slider...then slide the exposure down...or better yet bring into a soft light environment where no direct light is hitting the dial. Sometimes I find the interior of a car works great as long as sunlight is not directly on the watch as the car interior becomes a large light diffuser (assuming its not a black interior)

we want to see the texture and true color inside these circles...so simply bringing down the exposure will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7236960.jpg (265.6 KB, 449 views)

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:29 AM   #16
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

10-4 on lowering exposure. I'll give that a go shortly.

In the meantime, here is the model and serial # info requested earlier:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070231.jpg (97.8 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg P1070234.jpg (111.2 KB, 446 views)
Old 24 July 2024, 05:49 AM   #17
77T

That would be approximately 1974-1975 production year according to most online data lists.

Explains the dial script T SWISS T still in the display case when you bought in 1978.

Old 24 July 2024, 06:02 AM   #18
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Alrighty, then...

Here's my best low light photo attempt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070242.jpg (285.6 KB, 447 views)
Old 24 July 2024, 06:14 AM   #19
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Thanks likely unsold, earlier watch .... As per others said....

As example of those days btw - In early 80s I popped into my local dealer in Colchester UK, who had a 1655 up for 40% discount....I walked in said ’how come the discount', that's not like you at all !!!

And he said, Oh I'm fed up, I can't sell these 4 x 1665 grrrr!!!, I've had them for 4 years....I, spotting his slightly exhultant incandescence, offered a cheaky 2 for 1 and he agreed - kept one and gave one to my pal....1655 were not selling at all back them - now they are super sought after
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 06:35 AM   #20
RANCDdiver
"TRF" Member

What a lovely honest watch. It's certainly stood the test of time (pun apology) and served you well as the rugged daily wearer you asked it be. Should reward you value wise too, if you compare 1978 money to it's current value.

On the Steve McQueen thing, I've seen other Explorers described like this which is odd as he wore Submariners. He's also associated with the Heuer Monaco but this was just product placement for the movie Le Mans. Lots of off camera shots of him wearing his own watch, a Submariner. Maybe the McQueen Explorer was just another marketing gimmick?
Funny McQueen watch story. When he made 'The Thomas Crown Affair', on day one of shooting, he kept everyone waiting on set for hours while he decided which watch of the dozens he was offered, he thought best suited his character. After trying them all, he eventually chose his own and then billed the production company for hiring it. Making more money and from day one, establishing who the big star was.
RANCDdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 08:03 AM   #21
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Fun for me to hear the "back in the day" stories.

I wasn't presented with a discount at the time, but the date stuff you figured out sounds like it had been sitting on a shelf for a couple years.

"The right guy will come in sooner or later!" was probably an argument a salesman put to the store's manager several times.

How much did I pay? $440

In today's money (says the cpi calculator) that's $2094.50

As for what it's worth today as a collectable, I'll take that kind of luck any day.

Which brings to mind a general question regarding such things... jewelry, fine art, etc.

No one would ever buy a valuable object without examining it in hand first; but no one would ship something to someone FOR inspection without knowing it wouldn't simply disappear.

Do any of you guys know how it's done?

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 24 July 2024, 09:17 AM   #22
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoseeker1 View Post
No one would ever buy a valuable object without examining it in hand first; but no one would ship something to someone FOR inspection without knowing it wouldn't simply disappear.

Do any of you guys know how it's done?
If you are talking about selling a watch, most people pay before the watch is shipped. Based on excellent comprehensive photos. Of course it helps if you have credibility as a seller. If the buyer is 100% credible and trustworthy, then I imagine I might send it to him for inspection without paying. I have done that a few times.

However, if you haven't done much selling, it could be easier to send it to a dealer to sell on consignment. Or to an auctioneer.
Old 24 July 2024, 09:53 AM   #23
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
If you are talking about selling a watch, most people pay before the watch is shipped. Based on excellent comprehensive photos. Of course it helps if you have credibility as a seller. If the buyer is 100% credible and trustworthy, then I imagine I might send it to him for inspection without paying. I have done that a few times.

However, if you haven't done much selling, it could be easier to send it to a dealer to sell on consignment. Or to an auctioneer.
Got it.

For know nothings like me, it's possible to do it yourself as long as you understand the opportunity cost of acquiring the necessary knowledge, making personal connections, etc; OR you can farm it out to a middleman/agent who will sell it on your behalf for a percentage.

Can anyone point me to a forum sticky list of trusted re-sellers? Or does this site avoid such implicit endorsement for legal reasons?
Old 24 July 2024, 11:22 AM   #24
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

There is a list of recommended dealers in a sticky thread. You will have to contact them individually about your specific watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461
Old 24 July 2024, 11:31 AM   #25
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Great looking watch.
Old 24 July 2024, 04:11 PM   #26
Infoseeker1
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for bringing me up to speed in 24 hours.

It would have taken me at least a week to see where I stood on my own, and then would have felt uneasy about having no voices of experience to give weight to any conclusions.

Rolex Forums for the win!

Be well, all, and enjoy your watches. (If I could afford collecting them as a hobby, I would).
Old 24 July 2024, 09:26 PM   #27
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
These watches were made in batches.

I now have five Explorer II 1655s......and one of them has a case number fewer than 270 away from your own.

"Brothers in ugliness."
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 03:41 AM   #28
akassrugby
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch and so cool to hear you have been enjoying this one for many years!! I recently picked up a 1655 made in 1977 and have been very much enjoying it. If you want to polish out some scratches on the crystal, 'polywatch" works wonders. Thanks for sharing!! Heres mine shortly after I got it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09507-2.jpg (74.1 KB, 337 views)
akassrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2024, 10:08 AM   #29
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Such a cool thread to follow. Beautiful watch!
Old 9 August 2024, 08:08 AM   #30
"TRF" Member

1655 inquiry

Does anyone have an email address for Mr Haywood Milton ?

Thanks in advance.
1680 is offline   Reply With Quote