The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2024, 11:25 PM   #1
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

15550 Dial Grey vs White

I am looking at 1 of these that would be part of my daily wear rotation. Smaller wrists so this is the 37m, is the main one that has the best fit. I have a lot of other blue dials and use my Explorer 124270 a lot so the black dial is done for now.

Anyone have experience either owning both the white and grey and which they found they liked more or got utilized more?
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 11:43 PM   #2
Lemarp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
I am looking at 1 of these that would be part of my daily wear rotation. Smaller wrists so this is the 37m, is the main one that has the best fit. I have a lot of other blue dials and use my Explorer 124270 a lot so the black dial is done for now.

Anyone have experience either owning both the white and grey and which they found they liked more or got utilized more?
I own both but 15400 vs. 15510.

I'd say both get used similarly. If I had to choose between them, white. Still love my grey but I think white is the best colour of the bunch, regardless of rarity, secondary price, etc.

My $0.02.
Lemarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:35 AM   #3
SN2354
"TRF" Member

I have handled both, and would say the white is much nicer in the flesh.
SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 03:41 AM   #4
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Personally not a fan of the way the white dial reflects light and would go grey dial. However, I’ve noticed most people love the white dial. You should find a grey dealer and try these on in person before deciding.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 07:23 AM   #5
SN2354
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Personally not a fan of the way the white dial reflects light and would go grey dial. However, I’ve noticed most people love the white dial. You should find a grey dealer and try these on in person before deciding.
AP boutique should have try on models available.
SN2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 10:59 AM   #6
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

White plays off lights beautifully but grey's beauty lies in being subtle. Depends on what you prefer. I'll go grey.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 11:23 AM   #7
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I believe that the white dial has been discontinued so if buying from AP your only option is the grey dial in the 37/15550 SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:47 PM   #8
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 Dial Grey vs White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikincooper View Post
I believe that the white dial has been discontinued so if buying from AP your only option is the grey dial in the 37/15550 SS

This.
The white 15550 was only a one year , 50th anniversary model.
I’m assuming you are not talking about the two tone model?

I love the grey color and it complements the 124270 in my collection ( that I also love the look and love wearing ) They are similar enough that they both appeal but different enough to provide variety.
I found the white / silver washed out too much / didn’t have enough contrast with the handset and markers.

Best to try to visit a grey market dealer who may be able to facilitate a side by side comparison.

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..
—I’m just here for the photos—
matthew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 06:53 PM   #9
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
This.

I love the grey color and it complements the 124270 in my collection ( that I also love the look and love wearing ) They are similar enough that they both appeal but different enough to provide variety.
I found the white / silver washed out too much / didn’t have enough contrast with the handset and markers.

[IMG]

Best to try to visit a grey market dealer who may be able to facilitate a side by side comparison.
Good to know it goes well with the Explorer. I would be going grey for either the white or the grey dial. Finding both here has been a bit challenging at the same time as our boutique closed earlier this year. My days are either pretty casual or also blazer/suit so wasn't sure if the white was maybe a bit easier to dress up and down.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 01:44 AM   #10
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 Dial Grey vs White

The grey dial is the most subdued/ subtle IMO. It’s almost a little drab by comparison.
It’s darker grey with good contrast to hands/ markers indoors and in indirect light.
It’s a rather light grey that washes out a little and has less contrast in bright sunlight but the sunburst is a lot more noticable.

The white dial will wear a little larger IMO and the markers / handset blends into the dial a little more ( from memory )….. it’s a lot more reflective and pops in harder light ….. features the case / bracelet more ( again from memory ).

I personally value the greater contrast between dial / handset’s and markers ….. so I never concidered the silver / white dial.
I wouldn’t say either is more or less casual as the both reflect a lot of light / disco ball effect. …. White even more reflective.
I suspect one will speak to you more on wrist.

Either will pair extremely well with your 124270 explorer IMO. Similar feel but very different style / execution. Explorer more of a daily for me ( with a larger diver ) 15550 gets more gentle / special wear right now.

Also - I personally love the idea of white dials ( and the look ) more than I like wearing them. I’ve bought watches before but the tend to not get as much wrist time …. The grey which gets pretty light in brighter lighting is a dark silver sometimes depending on the lighting conditions.
No where near as contrasty as the explorer
( untouched / non color corrected photo for size comparison - both dials washed out )

Old 25 July 2024, 01:44 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d love to see a photo of the white
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 01:54 AM   #12
matthew P
"TRF" Member

15550 Dial Grey vs White

Not my wrist / photo or watch 15450
But this is how I remember the white/ silver dial

Old 28 July 2024, 12:29 PM   #13
fluffybunny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
This.

Ironically, I bought the white dial because I find the grey dial too washed out and difficult to read. I have no problems reading the white dial.

fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2024, 01:05 PM   #14
matthew P
"TRF" Member

In daylight / bright sunlight I suspect they both have their view ability issues.
My decision was based more on the fact that I prefer the look / aesthetics of the handset and hour markers against the darker dial.