The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 3 August 2024, 05:53 AM   #31
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I bought my sbgk002 in 2020, and yes I will confess that it was to get my Rolex RG Olive Dial DD.
I find myself somewhat enamoured with the GS, not so much to wear it (it has never been worn) but more for the artistry of the piece, from its dial, to its hand painted numerals to its amazing polishing. Personally I don’t ever think I’ll actually wear it and I’m sure I could never get my money back in resale, but I don’t think I’ll ever let it go. It is too special a piece. I suspect, when I’m long gone, it will become an important horological timepiece for discerning tastes.
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:10 PM   #32
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

I own two GS's. One purchased new and one preowned, both purchased in Japan. I have been offered the full purchase price from my local vintage watch store. Surprisingly the 9F Quartz model is viewed as a safer buy by the said store!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:04 PM   #33
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The big party is over for GS. They did it to themselves, but some of these brands just can't get out of their own way in terms of marketing. Burned super bright and burned out super fast.

They committed the mortal sin in luxury watches. Too many LE watches, too much distribution and big price increases...all too fast. See Panerai and Hublot. Hot brands at one time that took a huge dump because they lost focus and wanted to capitalize on "success" with MORE. People like it so do MORE!!!!!!!!!! Wrong strategy.

This all happened within the last few months. I noticed watch resellers inventory on GS dwindling. I tried to sell one just for giggles. NO OFFER. Hard Pass.

The Shunbun was a super hot watch when it came out. It was supposed to be a USA only model and it held value well. But now it is everywhere and diluted by more and more models that look similar and then focus is lost.

I'd say if you have a watch you want NOW and have an offer on the Shunbun and are really bored of it, move on from it now while you still can.
Brice Le Troadec (CEO of GS America) was Brand President of Omega USA in his previous role. You can guess where GS got this strategy from.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 07:44 PM   #34
IGY
"TRF" Member

Depreciation on almost all GS is fairly steep and hard from new. Once they've taken the initial hit, they continue to depreciate at a slow rate. If you have a watch model that is out of production such as the SBGY003 you might be lucky in that relatively few were made and the watch has some demand from those that prefer it to the ongoing production SBGY007 and SBGY009. But a year or so again GS introduced the SBGY027 and SBGY029 limited editions which has similar, but not identical dials so values on the 003 softened a bit.

As they keep on producing the same basic watch designs with different dial variations and good availability, used watches need to be materially cheaper that those in the ADs. And some ADs discount some of the new GS models available in the stores.

Regardless of all these, GS make wonderful watches. I am very happy with mine and it is a keeper.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote