The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 August 2024, 02:26 PM   #1
cal14
"TRF" Member

Urwerk

Which Urwerk models retain value the best? Considering purchasing new at retail. I love most models.
cal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 02:42 PM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
None if you want value better buy preowned
Old 4 August 2024, 11:17 PM   #3
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Ur-102….
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:48 AM   #4
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
They all take a hit. Value retention aside, however, I really like the UR-100.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:03 PM   #5
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I love my UR100V Magic T. If I need to only keep one sporty watch, this will be the one. And value retention is not important when I do not plan to sell. You can probably get an used one for 15-20% off new price but I have a very good AD so I don't mind letting him have my business.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 07:35 PM   #6
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I love my UR100V Magic T. If I need to only keep one sporty watch, this will be the one. And value retention is not important when I do not plan to sell. You can probably get an used one for 15-20% off new price but I have a very good AD so I don't mind letting him have my business.

The only thing that I have hang ups on with the UR 100 as a sports watch is the water rating. I wish they’d figure out a way to let you swim with it. It’s lovely and looks like a beast, but I just want a little more versatility with it. That said, it probably won’t stop me from getting one eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 August 2024, 12:20 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
The only thing that I have hang ups on with the UR 100 as a sports watch is the water rating. I wish they’d figure out a way to let you swim with it. It’s lovely and looks like a beast, but I just want a little more versatility with it. That said, it probably won’t stop me from getting one eventually.

That’s why I said it as a sporty watch.

But I think the latest iteration has improved the water rating to 50m. It should be good enough for surface swim. But the price is also quite a bit higher due to the carbon fiber case.
Old 10 August 2024, 12:25 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

https://monochrome-watches.com/urwer...t-specs-price/
Old 10 August 2024, 03:35 AM   #9
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

That’s a nice one.

Old 10 August 2024, 03:58 AM   #10
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I think the cases are cool, but I have trouble coughing up that much for them when the actual finish etc seems pretty industrial?
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 04:30 AM   #11
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I think the cases are cool, but I have trouble coughing up that much for them when the actual finish etc seems pretty industrial?
I’m with you on this. I really like Urwerk but I feel like almost all of their watches are way overpriced.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 05:19 AM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
I’m with you on this. I really like Urwerk but I feel like almost all of their watches are way overpriced.
Urwerk is probably one of those brands which you either like it or not.

The industrial finish is actually part of the charm IMHO. To me, it is like a hyper MB&F. But I do agree that it is not something I can see myself get a collection but 1-2 pieces is probably good enough. But I do love my UR100V.
Old 10 August 2024, 05:35 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Urwerk is probably one of those brands which you either like it or not.

The industrial finish is actually part of the charm IMHO. To me, it is like a hyper MB&F. But I do agree that it is not something I can see myself get a collection but 1-2 pieces is probably good enough. But I do love my UR100V.
Well to be clear, I love the aesthetic. It's just hard to pay MB&F money for something that isn't finished as well as an MB&F.
Old 10 August 2024, 12:43 PM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well to be clear, I love the aesthetic. It's just hard to pay MB&F money for something that isn't finished as well as an MB&F.
I can totally see your point. My first love for Urwerk is the UR220 but absolutely cannot see myself spending so much money for a PVD coated watch. But this UR100V's pearly finish on the titanium is rather nice and hopefully will not be rubbed off like someone mentioned for the PVD models.
Old 10 August 2024, 12:51 PM   #15
warnerbw
"TRF" Member

The 220s also come in a full carbon case, makes for a very light watch (and thin by Urwerk standards).
warnerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 06:46 PM   #16
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I dunno… I would say the UR100 is probably closest in style to the MBF no.5 or the Frog and maybe the HM 10 (though that is a bit of a different category).

I’m not a finishing freak so it’s hard for me to see much of a difference in those models vs the ur100 aside from perhaps some polishing on the case if at all. What am I missing?

Old 10 August 2024, 09:25 PM   #17
adamegret
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate the Urwerk design ethos but some of the finishing looks too utilitarian to me. Too much like military or camping equipment.
adamegret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:06 AM   #18
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamegret View Post
I really appreciate the Urwerk design ethos but some of the finishing looks too utilitarian to me. Too much like military or camping equipment.

You should check out the UR100 magic T. The bead blasted titanium is pearly and utilitarian at the same time. It really gives you a starfighter look if you are into sci-fi.
Old 20 August 2024, 07:34 PM   #19
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
I dunno… I would say the UR100 is probably closest in style to the MBF no.5 or the Frog and maybe the HM 10 (though that is a bit of a different category).

I’m not a finishing freak so it’s hard for me to see much of a difference in those models vs the ur100 aside from perhaps some polishing on the case if at all. What am I missing?

Thoughts? Anyone? Guide me on this.
Old 20 August 2024, 10:19 PM   #20
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
I have a UR-100 Fireleg and gets a lot of wrist time. It wears comfortably and the finish has been very durable.

I don't think you get this watch because of the level of finishing, but the craftsmanship is certainly there. You get it because it's quirky, cool and different.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 02:50 AM   #21
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
I have a UR-100 Fireleg and gets a lot of wrist time. It wears comfortably and the finish has been very durable.

I don't think you get this watch because of the level of finishing, but the craftsmanship is certainly there. You get it because it's quirky, cool and different.

I agree… but the question was a little different. Someone said they wouldn’t get the urwerk at the asking price when they could get an MBF, which allegedly has better finish. I was just asking what specifically makes those comparable models better? I don’t see a much of a difference so I wanted someone to tell me what I don’t see.

Old 21 August 2024, 03:11 AM   #22
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree… but the question was a little different. Someone said they wouldn’t get the urwerk at the asking price when they could get an MBF, which allegedly has better finish. I was just asking what specifically makes those comparable models better? I don’t see a much of a difference so I wanted someone to tell me what I don’t see.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but the MB&F has wide/thick anglage, interior angles, etc...

The urwerk doesn't really? It's quite industrial. Which would be ok if it was $10k.
Old 21 August 2024, 05:12 AM   #23
Mighty_Kraken
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just compare the backside view of a MB&F LM101 with the one of a Urwerk 100 LS and you will (hopefully) see that the finishing of the LM101 is miles ahead.

I mean i really like the aesthetic of Urwerk but i also don’t get their pricing.
Maybe someday they release something similar to the M.A.D editions for around 10k€.
Mighty_Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 06:14 AM   #24
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Kraken View Post
Just compare the backside view of a MB&F LM101 with the one of a Urwerk 100 LS and you will (hopefully) see that the finishing of the LM101 is miles ahead.

I mean i really like the aesthetic of Urwerk but i also don’t get their pricing.
Maybe someday they release something similar to the M.A.D editions for around 10k€.

Quote:
Not sure if I'm missing something, but the MB&F has wide/thick anglage, interior angles, etc...

The urwerk doesn't really? It's quite industrial. Which would be ok if it was $10k.

Not sure I see it. These all look somewhat industrial. Urwerk 100 and comparable MBF models HM5 and Frog. I’m not comparing the LM101 because I don’t think they are really comparable architecturally, so I’m trying to keep it apples to apples.

Old 21 August 2024, 06:23 AM   #25
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure I see it. These all look somewhat industrial. Urwerk 100 and comparable MBF models HM5 and Frog. I’m not comparing the LM101 because I don’t think they are really comparable architecturally, so I’m trying to keep it apples to apples.

Good point, I haven't spent much time with any models other than the LM perp and the 101, those are definitely very well finished. Not Gauthier/Voutilainen level, but still very very very nice.The frog, I've handled before but didnt really bother checking out much, and based on those pics, it doesn't seem like anything crazy. But the frog is also pretty different than the urwerk?

Either way I suppose my point is still the same. Feels like there are many watches I would buy before the Urwerk, as I feel like I'm paying for design (which is a 1 time expense) VS something like finishing.
Old 21 August 2024, 04:12 PM   #26
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good point, I haven't spent much time with any models other than the LM perp and the 101, those are definitely very well finished. Not Gauthier/Voutilainen level, but still very very very nice.The frog, I've handled before but didnt really bother checking out much, and based on those pics, it doesn't seem like anything crazy. But the frog is also pretty different than the urwerk?

Either way I suppose my point is still the same. Feels like there are many watches I would buy before the Urwerk, as I feel like I'm paying for design (which is a 1 time expense) VS something like finishing.
Yeah the frog is pretty different. I was just trying to look at models in the price range that have alternative case designs to compare with the UR100. Frog is not an exact match, but closer to the UR100, I feel, than the LM101 (which is more of a traditional design). I do take your point that Urwerk does not have elite level finishing. And perhaps you are right that the UR100 is overpriced... But its such a cool piece despite its shortcomings.
Old 21 August 2024, 10:24 PM   #27
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Both brands finish their products to the highest standards, including models referenced. These are not points of difference. In case of HMs by MBF, design and creativity drives the value proposition (except maybe for Architect series). In case of Urwerk, design plus horological innovation. That is why 100s are least expensive in catalog save 102.

If you need more color on horological side of Urwerk, plenty of references out here. Probably one of the most innovative companies out there.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:03 AM   #28
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Both brands finish their products to the highest standards, including models referenced. These are not points of difference. In case of HMs by MBF, design and creativity drives the value proposition (except maybe for Architect series). In case of Urwerk, design plus horological innovation. That is why 100s are least expensive in catalog save 102.

If you need more color on horological side of Urwerk, plenty of references out here. Probably one of the most innovative companies out there.

I like Urwerk. I really like the UR100. And I’m very familiar with the brand… been to their atelier and several showings with their crew. My post was only in response to someone who said they would rather spend money on MBF because of better finishing. I didn’t see any difference between the comparative Urwerk vs MBF models.

Old 22 August 2024, 01:14 AM   #29
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like how you described this, and this is also how I feel when purchasing an independent piece. Great design is a one-off expense to the company that can be replicated at zero incremental cost but at 100 incremental profit. That is different for hand-finishing as here every single case, movement and handset will require incremental expense of time, energy and skill. That is what I am willing to pay for. In essence, and using a very broad brush, this comes down to looking at a company’s margins. The assumption would be that, all other things being equal, the lower the margin the higher the level of finishing.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 04:24 AM   #30
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I like how you described this, and this is also how I feel when purchasing an independent piece. Great design is a one-off expense to the company that can be replicated at zero incremental cost but at 100 incremental profit. That is different for hand-finishing as here every single case, movement and handset will require incremental expense of time, energy and skill. That is what I am willing to pay for. In essence, and using a very broad brush, this comes down to looking at a company’s margins. The assumption would be that, all other things being equal, the lower the margin the higher the level of finishing.
Yes exactly. I don't see it as "worth" the premium. Finding deep value in watches is fun for me though, and even my day job is similar (investing in distressed consumer brands lol)