The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2024, 12:20 AM   #1
winfieldblue
"TRF" Member

Explorer 2 chances.

So, I’ve decided I love the Explorer 2. I was offered the black in Florence recently but since I was not able to get the tax refunded as I wasn’t exiting the EU on a flight, I passed. Now I’m back home and actively trying to acquire this watch. Black or white, I’m not fussed (though the white would be my pick). I think this is a nicer looking watch than the GMT which I was coveting.
My question is: how popular are these watches? To wit, how long realistically could I be waiting?
I note the grey market price isn’t great, so does this lower the AD game since they won’t be looking to capitalise on the premium a Pepsi or Starbucks could get?

FYI, I’m wearing a Wimbledon DJ41 evenings and the no date Sub during the days. The Explorer 2 would become my daily.
winfieldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 12:25 AM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
For sports models, it's one of the easier ones to get. I'd ask your AD and feel them out.
If you don't want to wait, the grey prices aren't far off from retail once you factor in tax.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 12:26 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
For sports models, it's one of the easier ones to get. I'd ask your AD and feel them out.
If you don't want to wait, the grey prices aren't far off from retail once you factor in tax.
Bang on advice OP

Good luck
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 12:32 AM   #4
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
this
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:00 AM   #5
robertengel
"TRF" Member

While im not familiar with the AD scene in HK this should be a relatively easy watch to get, if you have a preference for the white I would not compromise on it. If they want to sell to you in general they will sell you his one.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:11 AM   #6
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Purchase the Polar from a grey dealer.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 01:31 AM   #7
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
It’s fairly easy to get in my experience. You’re probably talking about a matter of a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 04:32 AM   #8
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
I agree the Polar is a nicer looking watch than a GMT.

My AD not so long back said it would be a couple of months if I wanted one.
Wilco68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 05:01 AM   #9
makey
"TRF" Member

I final get my explorer 2 white dial this week. Popped in to AD a month to catch up on list etc , got phone call today . Happy days
makey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 06:09 AM   #10
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfieldblue View Post
So, I’ve decided I love the Explorer 2. I was offered the black in Florence recently but since I was not able to get the tax refunded as I wasn’t exiting the EU on a flight, I passed. Now I’m back home and actively trying to acquire this watch. Black or white, I’m not fussed (though the white would be my pick). I think this is a nicer looking watch than the GMT which I was coveting.
My question is: how popular are these watches? To wit, how long realistically could I be waiting?
I note the grey market price isn’t great, so does this lower the AD game since they won’t be looking to capitalise on the premium a Pepsi or Starbucks could get?

FYI, I’m wearing a Wimbledon DJ41 evenings and the no date Sub during the days. The Explorer 2 would become my daily.
I enjoy my purchases, as such I do not let the price disrupt that. I do not think that these are very popular (somewhat post/now/bubble), though they are somewhat.

Enjoy, G&W
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 06:19 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 07:13 AM   #12
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Id say you’d be able to secure one at the AD, with a short wait. And stick to the dial colour you want. Good luck
aboutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 07:30 AM   #13
exp90
"TRF" Member

Surprised by a few months cited here. In the Uk I’ve been told 1-2y.
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 08:30 AM   #14
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Bang on advice OP

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutime View Post
Id say you’d be able to secure one at the AD, with a short wait. And stick to the dial colour you want. Good luck
I've seen more Day-Dates than I have Explorer IIs... They're really an "IYKYK" type watch. I'd stick with the AD route unless you need to have it this week. Then, grey dealers aren't that far off...

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 04:49 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Amazing decision and you won't see that many in the wild which is great. Check with your AD, the wait shouldn't be too long.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 04:53 PM   #16
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
For sports models, it's one of the easier ones to get.

Can u give my AD a call and let them know this Trav?

I'm 6 months in. I would have probably given up but I got a text recently saying "It shouldn't be long". I'll wait until October, then I'm getting out my grey brush.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 05:40 PM   #17
londondude
"TRF" Member

I think with the Explorer II luck plays a big part. It’s not in high demand but at the same time not many are manufactured. I got mine last year, I got in touch with my AD when they had just received one so I got it right away but I can see how some people end up waiting for a long time. It’s a great watch, I hope you get yours soon OP!
londondude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 06:04 PM   #18
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I got my Polar after 6 months, but my brother has just been quoted 18 months...my advice to him was to go grey as the uplift isn't too high! Would recommend the same for you! Good luck, it's a great watch!
nighthawk77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:45 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Explorer II is a cool watch and I own both the black and white dial versions. Funny thing is I got the Polar first and then the black but the black gets more wear. See what the AD's tell you and if not promising then grey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200105_142425 (002).jpg (199.7 KB, 914 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:19 AM   #20
RolexBuckeye
"TRF" Member

My wife wanted to get me a Polar Explorer for my 40th birthday present in July of 2022. It was supposed to be an engagement present from years and years ago but she was still paying of grad school loans at the time, so I told her the time would come eventually. We called my AD that I have one prior purchase from (36mm DJ) in April 2022 to order the Polar Explorer for July. Not really thinking I would get it in time. Just the fact that the go ahead was in motion was good enough for me.

Well, come July 2023 I still never got the call so I told her we needed to look elsewhere. Her little brother was staying with us for the 4th of July and the next day they went to the mall. She went into Watches of Switzerland that opened a year or two prior. She spoke to the right salesman and two weeks later 7/16/2023, a week after my 41st birthday, I had a Polar Exp on my wrist. So sometimes you can wait a long time, and sometimes luck strikes.
IWC 377701
Ball Night Train NM1092C
RolexBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 03:48 AM   #21
RolexBuckeye
"TRF" Member

Deleted duplicate.
IWC 377701
Ball Night Train NM1092C
RolexBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:21 AM   #22
MannyMann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This...
MannyMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:34 AM   #23
StanCho
"TRF" Member

216570 BD was my 1st Rolex (and 1st ever purchase of any kind at a local AD). I went in looking to try it as well as BLNR, ended up signing myself up for the BD.

Two weeks later when they called me to tell me that I was approved for CHNR waitlist (up to 2 yrs lead time) and if I want the Exp2 BD it's mine to take it that moment. Either somebody gave up as this was early 2021 when the biggest hype was about it what happens as it was anniversary year for Exp2 or it was never a big seller. The WD felt quite flat in real life so the BD was a winner.
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:42 AM   #24
Bozzie1982
"TRF" Member

UK used market is flooded with them at the minute.

I'm looking to move mine on and the 2 dealers I've spoken to regarding a potential part exchange aren't interested as they have a few to shift.

Can be had under retail in the UK on the used market. I can't give mine away!!
Bozzie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:45 AM   #25
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Minimal wait time for a sports Rolex. I suggest getting the black one (I prefer it over the white), I got one as a summer watch recently and it is great. As a bonus, no shiny parts so it is really sporty and very legible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorerII.jpg (97.0 KB, 802 views)
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:16 AM   #26
TheVision
"TRF" Member

I'd go grey.....I'm in CA and taxes alone is like $900 on top of retail. I've seen grey market for polar as low as $11500 ..which is about a grand more than AD price and without having to deal with the whole "build a relationship" crap.

I'm on the waitlist for polar though but since I have no rush, I'll wait it out. I have a good rep who allocated me the sub with zero purchase and she said the polar dials are not common in shipments and hence, the waitlist tends to get big simply cos rolex doesnt send them enough polar exp2....she said if I want black dial, she can get it in within 3 months. But my sub is all black and my past watches were all white dials so im gonna wait it out.

Unless she calls me for the batgirl...lol.
Old 8 August 2024, 10:24 AM   #27
BigFig
"TRF" Member

Mine came in last week after a four month wait.
BigFig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:43 AM   #28
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Op, try the AD first and see what they say, but there allot good grey dealers in HK , like
Po Tat and Bern watch, I don’t know how close you are to them? They both have a good reputation. Summer is slow for the dealers you might be able to make a deal on 2023 or 2022 piece at or below RRP.

Go with the Polar it’s a beautiful piece. I like the white dial on that model the best.

Good luck,

Cheer’s
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:22 AM   #29
Rolexforthewin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oddly enough, I’ve been waiting three years for a polar dial from 4 different AD’s and can’t get my hands on one, yet I’ve gotten a Panda Daytona and blue SkyDweller from an AD in the interim.
Rolexforthewin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:15 PM   #30
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

My vote is for polar. Looks great on brown leather too.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote