The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2024, 05:42 PM   #91
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

That guy sounds like a douchebag. Can't say I've ever had anyone comment on my Rolex or any other watch... I think 99% of the population just don't care.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 05:54 PM   #92
daysky1
"TRF" Member

I think this could have been just his way of saying look what I have on my wrist look what I am proud of having as if what he has is the best watch in the world and we both know it's not. I just think the guy was proud and wanted to show off. I'm not saying his watch is no good because we both know it is a good watch I also find that Rolex exceeds other watches in certain area. I'm not sure there are any other mechanical watches that can take the beatings that Rolex takes and continue to operate with in advertised tolerance.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 06:48 PM   #93
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post
True (sigh) but at least half was made here ....i dont like turbo engines or in a hotter than hell place like the Houston area stuck in traffic for hours creates more heat. I like the Dodge v-6 3.6 its been around a long time, 295 hp is peppy even for a hog like my jeep...my younger brother just lost his job after 17 years in engineering dept at dodge. Like he says its a crime what has happened pushing fiats like its US made. I (we) get a huge discount on their line up.....my GC cost just 28k new.....my brother says if you buy another car which i hope and pray never happens again, go Toyota. He is trying to get a job with them now but not crazy over moving to CA.
I think Toyota's are good I own a tundra and tacoma that last along time. except the newer2022 and up tundra engine recall. ,,,, never would buy one anyway like you mentioned no small engine with turbo not in a tundra.

Toyota are for owners who keep their vehicles for 10 years 200k.
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:27 PM   #94
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

People who try to ruin your joy, regardless of what they think if it, are losers. I know a few like that, most of it caused by envy and inferiority complex. Best to ignore and avoid.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 07:39 PM   #95
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
I think Toyota's are good I own a tundra and tacoma that last along time. except the newer2022 and up tundra engine recall. ,,,, never would buy one anyway like you mentioned no small engine with turbo not in a tundra.

Toyota are for owners who keep their vehicles for 10 years 200k.
Isn’t there some saying like …

“you buy a Land Rover to get you into the bush, you buy a Toyota to take you there and get you back out”
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 10:31 PM   #96
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
(...)The man behind me says "I see you fell for the Rolex hype" (...), he kept on about real watch collectors bypass Rolex for higher end brands.
Pretty crass, bordering rude, if you ask me.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 10:57 PM   #97
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
A 36mm DJ is hardly falling for Rolex hype, it’s not hyped.

Rolex are fairly ubiquitous in some spots, I guess not there as the guy had to comment about it.

IMO “real collectors” I have met some and they’re in rarified air for sure. Out of the holy trinity they collect vintage references they buy at auction. They collect small independents who do one offs. They collect Philippe Dufour and folks like that where they’re bidding at auction on them.

Sure they might have some Rolex as well because why not. The guy who introduced me to that circle of folks definitely picks up the hype references.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 11:01 PM   #98
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
A 36mm DJ is hardly falling for Rolex hype, it’s not hyped.

Rolex are fairly ubiquitous in some spots, I guess not there as the guy had to comment about it.

IMO “real collectors” I have met some and they’re in rarified air for sure. Out of the holy trinity they collect vintage references they buy at auction. They collect small independents who do one offs. They collect Philippe Dufour and folks like that where they’re bidding at auction on them.

Sure they might have some Rolex as well because why not. The guy who introduced me to that circle of folks definitely picks up the hype references.
Who'da thought it...

IMO Rolex "hype" is something made up by people who don't like to see that something has gained significant popularity. I hate the word, it's empty and doesn't really help explain what's behind why things like Rolex watches become popular. It's almost only exclusively used to berate people who take a fondness to something new.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 11:05 PM   #99
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Seems like a distasteful individual. Sucks you had to deal with that.

You could have said that he fell for the AP RO hype too.

Quote:
All I wanted was some HEB lemon cookie ice cream....we were so happy the power came on....not to get into a debate on why AP is better than Rolex.....he had on a AP RO which is a nice watch true but more money than I would ever pay....way out of my pay scale...maybe if I was a surgical nurse back in the day.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 11:33 PM   #100
Milhaus
"TRF" Member

Whenever anyone uses the word "real' in front of any type of person, i tune them out as being a brainwashed mouth breather...real collector, real fan, real republican, whatever.

As to why there are ppl like this guy, well, Rolex jilted a lot of ppl by not being willing to take their money, feeding the grey market, overly restrictive service policies etc. I have a bittersweet relationship with them myself even though I own 2.

A response might be "couldnt get one, huh? Dont feel bad, lots of ppl couldnt"
Milhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 11:37 PM   #101
kwingy
"TRF" Member

End of the day, you shouldn't let an absolute stranger bother you with their worthless opinions BUT I don't blame you for retaliating - end of the day if he wore a AP RO, he obviously has some understanding of watches and where they fall so why bash you for wearing a DJ instead of an hype SS piece.

It seems like he deliberately wanted to trigger you so you would notice his watch and think in his own small little mind, he was wearing a watch more expensive and superior then you.

What an absolute douche.
kwingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2024, 11:48 PM   #102
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Who'da thought it...

IMO Rolex "hype" is something made up by people who don't like to see that something has gained significant popularity. I hate the word, it's empty and doesn't really help explain what's behind why things like Rolex watches become popular. It's almost only exclusively used to berate people who take a fondness to something new.
A lot is purely hype as it’s manufactured based on marketing.

Something like a Bel Canto chiming watch is hyped by watch nerds because of the complication for the money, but it has no hype on the street and nobody would recognize it because they will have never seen it.

Rolex is one of the most well known of all luxury brands of anything not just watches.

Yes they make nice watches, I like them, but the global popularity results from both product quality and marketing over many decades.

Using “hype” with Rolex I don’t think is berating people because of something new. It’s literally hyped. Note there’s nothing wrong with “hype pieces” their demand exceeds their supply so clearly they’re popular with consumers.
Old 11 July 2024, 11:49 PM   #103
~Ocho1~
"TRF" Member

My response would've probably been a dismissive laugh/chuckle & a simple "yeah"

turn around & go about my business.

I won't waste my time with idiot jerks.
~Ocho1~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:01 AM   #104
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I wouldve ignored, why waste your energy and time engaging. Seems like his comment got to you and you made an ignorant comment about people to that own “x” as well..
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:03 AM   #105
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
End of the day, you shouldn't let an absolute stranger bother you with their worthless opinions BUT I don't blame you for retaliating - end of the day if he wore a AP RO, he obviously has some understanding of watches and where they fall so why bash you for wearing a DJ instead of an hype SS piece.

It seems like he deliberately wanted to trigger you so you would notice his watch and think in his own small little mind, he was wearing a watch more expensive and superior then you.

What an absolute douche.
I missed that the guy was wearing a Royal Oak.

To be honest I haven’t seen many in the wild, but it’s funny there are levels to everything right. That guy is proud of his Royal Oak, but what Royal Oak?

There are always one or more people who can knock you down a peg or two.
Old 12 July 2024, 12:32 AM   #106
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetodie View Post
People who try to ruin your joy, regardless of what they think if it, are losers. I know a few like that, most of it caused by envy and inferiority complex. Best to ignore and avoid.
This, I have dealt with people like this and it gets old quickly. Best to just ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I've had four very different Audi's and all have worked faultlessly over the years.

Nothing wrong with Audi.

I've had three. Two were expensive messes (one was quite modded A4 - bigger turbo, shocks, exhaust, etc, so that's on me) and a TT which was worse. But the Diesel A3 I had for 7 years and all I ever did was regular service and maybe the front brakes once. Great car.

Then... Audi bought it back from me due to the diesel scandal for a crazy amount over blue book value, and I bought another car with that money (not another Audi).
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:33 AM   #107
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega sm chronogra
Both guys very insecure people
martyjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 12:38 AM   #108
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I missed that the guy was wearing a Royal Oak.

To be honest I haven’t seen many in the wild, but it’s funny there are levels to everything right. That guy is proud of his Royal Oak, but what Royal Oak?

There are always one or more people who can knock you down a peg or two.
The Woodlands has some very well to do people living there and its not un-common to see high end watches around the "town center" we were having a latte one Sat and a group of golf buddies were setting close to us having some
brews ....one had on a Blancpain blue fifty - fathoms with the blue strap....they are huge so its hard to miss plus he had on a Blancpain cap. I really don't know much about them but have seen some in LA selling for about 20k new. The rest had on Rolex subs and DD's. That was the first Blancpain I've ever seen in the wild.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 03:52 AM   #109
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
Oof a lot of audi hate. I think they make some really great cars!

I just picked up an RS3 and love it. Have had several Audi's over the last few years. But still a good comeback. I would have been more inclined to make a comment about the AP
Old 12 July 2024, 03:56 AM   #110
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Why would this person even open their mouth? Where I'm from no one even makes friendly unprompted small talk let alone potentially irritating small talk.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 04:03 AM   #111
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I have stated we live in the Woodlands....a upper middle class to rich "township" north of Houston. Today the HEB opened at noon and I was buying some ice cream and junk food ....the lines are long from the storm. The man behind me says "I see you fell for the Rolex hype" huh ? what? I had on my DJ 36 mm TT I've had for 15th years or longer. I told him I buy what I like....he kept on about real watch collectors bypass Rolex for higher end brands ....well maybe its true but I like Rolex and some Omega because they make ladies watches. I walk to the parking lot and he is parked about 3 cars from me....I'm in my 2021 Jeep GC....I could not help myself ....I told him "I see you fell for the Audi hype...." I don't want to ruffle Audi owners feathers but I would never buy one....my family comes from U.S. auto workers.....mostly MOPAR...dad retired after 32 years in 84.
He gives me a shocked look....I told him yeah I'm old but I would bet I'm a better car tinkerer than you...my dad taught me since I was 5..... he drove off without a word.
Back to the question why the Rolex hate? please excuse my spelling I'm using the phone.....my internet connection is still down and my old eyes cant see the small print well.
He hates Rolex because he probably doesn’t have a relationship to get one he would have wanted at retail so off he went to other brands.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2024, 04:15 AM   #112
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

If he can afford to live at a swanky address like the Woodlands and has an AP, I guess he can get a Rolex.
Old 12 July 2024, 05:19 AM   #113
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Woodlands has some very well to do people living there and its not un-common to see high end watches around the "town center" we were having a latte one Sat and a group of golf buddies were setting close to us having some
brews ....one had on a Blancpain blue fifty - fathoms with the blue strap....they are huge so its hard to miss plus he had on a Blancpain cap. I really don't know much about them but have seen some in LA selling for about 20k new. The rest had on Rolex subs and DD's. That was the first Blancpain I've ever seen in the wild.
Nice! I mean only a watch person would even know a Fifty Fathoms or know that it’s an expensive piece.
Old 12 July 2024, 05:31 AM   #114
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I would have just told him

“the watch is fake. What crazy idiot would spend that much money on a watch!!”
LoLLLLLLLLLLL
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:01 AM   #115
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

It’s normal for some ignorant and cheap people who paid too much for their watch and lost it’s value to go brag about it to feel good and make other ppl feel bad, real watch enthusiasts don’t do that they appreciate watches starting from a regular casio to the most expensive patek
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:34 PM   #116
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Today the HEB opened at noon

....I could not help myself ....I told him "I see you fell for the Audi hype...."
LOL, good for you!

What is the HEB?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:37 PM   #117
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Kinda sounds like he said something about your watch and you said something about his car. How is both conducts any different? Instead of rising above it you doubled down to that level of idiotic behavior. Your from Texas, a “Well bless your heart” would have been sufficient if you felt the need to comment.

I agree send both to their corners for a time out
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:43 PM   #118
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I’d laugh, smile and say “Have a magical day!!” and then show them my back. It often really ticks them off.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:52 PM   #119
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclr View Post
People like that aren't worth a comeback. Too bad that I'm human and wouldn't have been able to stop myself from saying something.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 10:55 PM   #120
johnsonsxusfrt
Banned

sounds like he got under your skin. best to smile and ignore strangers like that.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote