The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2024, 09:07 AM   #1
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
18k GMT II Jubilee bracelet stretch?

Does anyone know if the YG 126718GRNR jubilee has ceramic pins to prevent bracelet stretch? Jubilees in steel stretch, can’t imagine a GRNR in gold after a couple years of solid wear. Would be cool to know!
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 09:44 AM   #2
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Does anyone know if the YG 126718GRNR jubilee has ceramic pins to prevent bracelet stretch? Jubilees in steel stretch, can’t imagine a GRNR in gold after a couple years of solid wear. Would be cool to know!
Absolutely zero wear (stretch) in my 126710 from 2018.

That’s said, I don’t know if the gold jubilee has ceramic sleeves
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:06 PM   #3
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN Finally!
I thought these were cut in with all the 12XXXX series PM models, can anyone confirm?
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 01:08 PM   #4
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t matter whether it’s ceramic pins or not. That’s not what causes “stretch” and it has
Nothing to do with precious metal versus steel either.

The “stretch” is actually wear to the sleeves the pins go into, caused by the build up of dirt and debris, along with the rattling from wearing your watch too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 01:19 PM   #5
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Gold pins are less resistant to stretch than ceramic that’s why the day date II had gold(except pt) and the DD40 switched entirely to ceramic. Therefore what’s actually controllable are the pins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
It doesn’t matter whether it’s ceramic pins or not. That’s not what causes “stretch” and it has

The “stretch” is actually wear to the sleeves the pins go into, caused by the build up of dirt and debris, along with the rattling from wearing your watch too loose.

Old 4 August 2024, 04:39 PM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
It’s important to note that while “stretch” is used to describe the phenomenon in most cases it isn’t.

It is a combination of the center of the pins where they meet the link wearing away as they meet the link which also wears away causing augmented tolerances. It’s colloquially called “stretch” on this forum but actually it isn’t the metal stretching in 99% of normal cases. The 1% where real stretch occurs is brute force of the watch being pulled from wrist in either a failed theft or accident such as skiing or motorcycle where the watch catches on something and inertial forces do their thing preying open the folded link and/or bending pins into a banana shape.

Here are some photos of worn vs unworn pins and links.

I don’t know if the new solid gold jubilee’s fitted to the GRNR and recently released SKY D use ceramic sheathed pins or not.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 06:11 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Mostly all 100% correct just keep them clean with regular washing no matter the metal they will last for decades.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 06:31 PM   #8
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Mostly all 100% correct just keep them clean with regular washing no matter the metal they will last for decades.
From personal ownership experience, I believe both is this statements incorrect. The modern Rolex with the ceramic pins stretch way less. I also believe gold watches stretch alot quicker. You’ve only got to look at the pre owned watch market to confirm this.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 09:15 PM   #9
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: a Rolex pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
It’s important to note that while “stretch” is used to describe the phenomenon in most cases it isn’t.

It is a combination of the center of the pins where they meet the link wearing away as they meet the link which also wears away causing augmented tolerances. It’s colloquially called “stretch” on this forum but actually it isn’t the metal stretching in 99% of normal cases. The 1% where real stretch occurs is brute force of the watch being pulled from wrist in either a failed theft or accident such as skiing or motorcycle where the watch catches on something and inertial forces do their thing preying open the folded link and/or bending pins into a banana shape.

Here are some photos of worn vs unworn pins and links.

I don’t know if the new solid gold jubilee’s fitted to the GRNR and recently released SKY D use ceramic sheathed pins or not.
Great photos, thanks!
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 12:15 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
From personal ownership experience, I believe both is this statements incorrect. The modern Rolex with the ceramic pins stretch way less. I also believe gold watches stretch alot quicker. You’ve only got to look at the pre owned watch market to confirm this.

I largely agree. It’s probably a number of factors. Ceramic is definitely better. But I also think the reasons we see less “stretch” in day dates is because they’re heavier, so people wear them tighter generally on the wrist. There are still plenty of examples that have “stretch”. Conversely, jubilee is much lighter weight and many women wore them loose as fashion pieces. Even the switch to super jubilee didn’t stop it, as many people thought it would.

sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 12:19 AM   #11
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I recently saw a video a watch tech posted of a newer 6 digit datejust with two tone band it had quite a bit of stretch. It was probably a 2008 or newer model. I dont know when Rolex started using ceramic sleeves.

I talk to my local Rolex USA watch tech and he says the bands still stretch. It was opinion that people that used a lot of lotions etc. and didnt clean off the watch had a lot of stretch.

I have never had an issue on stretch on 6 or 5 digit models due to keeping my pieces clean.
Old 5 August 2024, 12:39 AM   #12
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Delete lol
Old 5 August 2024, 02:05 AM   #13
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

My son has a 126718. I sized the bracelet and it does have ceramic sleeves.
Michael T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 05:52 AM   #14
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

18k GMT II Jubilee bracelet stretch?

The 126718 GRNR does indeed come with those little pin sleeves. Makes link removal-addition a little tricky.

Old 5 August 2024, 05:59 AM   #15
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Old 5 August 2024, 06:34 AM   #16
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
My son has a 126718. I sized the bracelet and it does have ceramic sleeves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t65tampa View Post
The 126718 GRNR does indeed come with those little pin sleeves. Makes link removal-addition a little tricky.

Good to know!
Old 5 August 2024, 06:53 AM   #17
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would think the ceramic sleeves help prevent the pins from wearing. I do believe the new GNT in gold has the sleeves.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 08:02 PM   #18
Tbird
"TRF" Member

If the ceramic sleeves are pressed fit into the gold links and steel links, its not the links wearing anymore, its purely the shafts rotating (and wearing somewhat, dont know how much) in the ceramic bushings.
Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:29 PM   #19
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good information.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote