The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 August 2024, 06:18 PM   #1
vonrozen
"TRF" Member

1960-1970s Submariners

Hello everyone,

I will have 10.000 € budget and would like to get a 60/70s Submariner in original condition (dial / case / movement) , do not care about the bracelet. Your advice, please , on what tends to be replaced most : is it the hads, the dial , etc ? And how best to spot it ? I know it is a big question but advice and your opinion would be a good start.

Thanks very much
Alexander ( Paris / Munich)
vonrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:33 PM   #2
Jaegodylan
"TRF" Member

Best answer is to share images here or buy from a reputable dealer/expert.. they can be a minefield in the secondary market.
Jaegodylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:35 PM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Are you specifically looking for a Rolex sub? Which I’m guessing you are. If you see a particular watch why don’t you post some photos of it on here and I’m sure you’ll get feedback. I also wanted to mention that the Tudor subs from the 60’s and 70’s are fabulous watches and for me are as good as anything. If any parts have been replaced it will affect the value and only you can make that call on if it’s something that bothers you or not. Good luck with the search
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:41 PM   #4
vonrozen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaegodylan View Post
Best answer is to share images here or buy from a reputable dealer/expert.. they can be a minefield in the secondary market.

Thank you very much for that : any advice on those dealers in Germany and France ?
Old 8 August 2024, 06:47 PM   #5
Jaegodylan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrozen View Post
Thank you very much for that : any advice on those dealers in Germany and France ?
There are some helpful posts that are “Stickies”

Good reading to keep you more educated.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899

A list of dealers here as well

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461

And of course the sales area here on the forum is always a good source.
Jaegodylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:56 PM   #6
vonrozen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaegodylan View Post
There are some helpful posts that are “Stickies”

Good reading to keep you more educated.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899

A list of dealers here as well

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461

And of course the sales area here on the forum is always a good source.

Luvely : thanks very much .
Vive le Rolex :-)
Old 8 August 2024, 11:44 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not sure that budget ($11k USD) will get you a decent 4-digit Sub from a dealer. Even the $13k Subs I'm seeing from dealers usually have something wrong with them. With patience and personal knowledge, you might find one for $11k USD at an obscure auction. And at that price, you shouldn't expect a top example and it may have some flaws that you need to address. Bottom feeding is usually not a good strategy for a beginner.

To know if the parts are original, you need to study all the small variations and how they align with each other and the serial number range. We can't just tell you one simple thing to look for, and there's no easy short-cut to my knowledge. If I want to learn about a new vintage Rolex reference, I accept that it may take me several months of observations, reading, and learning to develop a reasonable level of confidence. If I were starting from scratch, with little knowledge of other references, I'd give myself a year. To be honest, I'm constantly learning new things, often from people on this forum.
Old 9 August 2024, 03:57 AM   #8
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm not sure that budget ($11k USD) will get you a decent 4-digit Sub from a dealer. Even the $13k Subs I'm seeing from dealers usually have something wrong with them. With patience and personal knowledge, you might find one for $11k USD at an obscure auction. And at that price, you shouldn't expect a top example and it may have some flaws that you need to address. Bottom feeding is usually not a good strategy for a beginner.

To know if the parts are original, you need to study all the small variations and how they align with each other and the serial number range. We can't just tell you one simple thing to look for, and there's no easy short-cut to my knowledge. If I want to learn about a new vintage Rolex reference, I accept that it may take me several months of observations, reading, and learning to develop a reasonable level of confidence. If I were starting from scratch, with little knowledge of other references, I'd give myself a year. To be honest, I'm constantly learning new things, often from people on this forum.
Agreed. OP your budget isn’t sufficient for a nice 4 digit sub.
Old 9 August 2024, 04:42 AM   #9
CTech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Agreed. OP your budget isn’t sufficient for a nice 4 digit sub.
Depending on the OP's definition of "nice", there might very well be a lot of serviceable 5513 and 1680 Submariners within the price range.

Looking on Craigslist and Chrono24, etc. will show a variety of wearable Submariners from the 1970s at about $10,000 to $11,000.

Yes, there will be some flaws and noticeable service parts, but they are still good functional watches with a vintage feel.

These are not the watches for a collector looking for investment or future resale options, but they are perfectly adequate for everyday use.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:02 AM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrozen View Post
Hello everyone,

I will have 10.000 € budget and would like to get a 60/70s Submariner in original condition (dial / case / movement) , do not care about the bracelet. Your advice, please , on what tends to be replaced most : is it the hads, the dial , etc ? And how best to spot it ? I know it is a big question but advice and your opinion would be a good start.

Thanks very much
Alexander ( Paris / Munich)
£8500 for 5513/1680 might be tough call even with a service dial etc.....an equally lovely Tudor 7928/early 7016 is doable, just, though at £8500.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
submariner , vintage rolex